• Haverhill Line Upgrades (Western Route)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Trinnau

jbvb wrote:I'm still not clear on the plan for the sharp-angle switch that's been sitting near the old tower location for 3 years now.
Relocation of the switch for the M&L/Lowell Hill out of the curve. Notice how all of the old interlockings are/were in curves (now-removed crossovers at AS, FY) and all the new ones are not - or at least have the switches in the straight?
  by octr202

The web gnomes issuing T Alerts finally got the one for this weekend out. Busing Saturday and Sunday between Reading and Haverhill. That would lead one to believe there will be work elsewhere in addition to the bridge in Haverhill - but only time will tell.
  by morgan28k

There was work done today. The Easterly track at Andover Street was connected and the switch from the single track to the Easterly track removed. There is stilll some alignment work needed where the track connection was made. The old interlocking signal just west of the crossing was remoed and the new crossover signals are now in operation.
  by JCitron

This is probably old news, but I came across this while looking for something else totally unrelated to railroads.

http://www.eagletribune.com/haverhill/x ... art?zc_p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's funny how quickly we focus back on things we're really interested in. :-)

Anyway... It looks like they're going to start "soon" on the repairs to the bridge between Haverhill and Bradford. Being retired, I may go down there with my video camera and get a few shots of the work in progress. I live on the other side of town so it's not a big deal.

John
  by jbvb

Merrimack River bridge work was given as a reason for this past weekend's closure, but I don't see any evidence of work taking place there yet.

Today there were crews at AS and Frye. The connection from the new easterly track through the former "end of double track" turnout location has been ballasted and tamped, but it has a really significant jog in it; I'm guessing it will be limited to 20 MPH until whatever required it gets fixed.
  by doublebell

The new rails by Phil's look shiny but the crossover there has obviously not been used. The signals there are still turned 90 degrees from the track
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back
  by eastwind

morgan28k wrote:There was work done today. The Easterly track at Andover Street was connected and the switch from the single track to the Easterly track removed. There is stilll some alignment work needed where the track connection was made. The old interlocking signal just west of the crossing was remoed and the new crossover signals are now in operation.
Am I correct in thinking that Downeasters are now able to use Track 1 all the way between Frost and Frye, but that MBTA is still limited to Track 2 between Lawrence and Frye?
  by eastwind

GP40MC1118 wrote:CPF-JK cutover is happening tonight at 1201AM.

D
Good news.
Then I amend the second part of my question to: "...but that MBTA is limited to Track 2 between Lawrence and CPF-JK (formerly referred to as "I-495 interlocking")?
  by Trinnau

Crossovers aren't installed at JK yet, just the power switch for yard access. But the former Lawrence runner is now a main track with working signals from Frye all the way to AS. Commuter trains can now meet between those two, and are not limited to the #2 track.
  by gokeefe

Should be interesting to watch the Amtrak monthly performance reports over the rest of the year to see if there is a reduction in delays occurring on the MBTA for the Downeaster.
  by eastwind

Trinnau wrote:Crossovers aren't installed at JK yet, just the power switch for yard access. But the former Lawrence runner is now a main track with working signals from Frye all the way to AS. Commuter trains can now meet between those two, and are not limited to the #2 track.
Excellent. Thank you for the clarification.
I have updated my Downeaster map to reflect these changes.
  by eastwind

gokeefe wrote:Should be interesting to watch the Amtrak monthly performance reports over the rest of the year to see if there is a reduction in delays occurring on the MBTA for the Downeaster.
Bear in mind that Frye to AS is just under two miles, not a huge extension of double track. But every bit helps.
What will help even more is when the double track between Frye and Macaulay through downtown Andover is completed, which looks like it may happen this year.
Not to forget Lowell Jct. to Wilmington Jct. Any progress there?
  by octr202

Other than work on the Shawsheen bridges (finish work, not affecting service), there's been no activity to any great extent west of the Lawrence area. I do wonder if the Andover work has been delayed to let the bridge work clear up before anything is done with the double track.
  by gunsanplanes

They have had a string of gondola cars on the wye at Lowell juction for awhile now, and a couple of hopper cars farther in and just across the street. I came in for a rare daytime appearance for training and saw that they apparently are ripping up old ties, bringing the cars back onto the wye, and having lumber trucks removing the ties from the cars. I noticed the cars had once again gotten filled with old ties.

On the way into work tonight I see an MBTA engine on the front of that string of cars, and the fire department just finishing up from deluging one of the cars to put out a fire that started among the old ties. I also saw that there were a couple of gondola cars and an old red caboose on the other side of the road up against the hopper cars that were there.
I did have my camera with me, but I had to get the day guy out and just didn't have any time to spare to get some pictures.

Nothing ground breaking, but anything to keep the thread updated is a good thing.