Railroad Forums 

• Morris Park interesting Before and After

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1263983  by nyandw

Doc's mid-1970s photo has the shanty burned, when did this happen? Replaced by Doc's shanty photo 2008 and moved west, built right after earlier shanty burned?

4Behind2: "...Later, "The Powers That Be", moved the UB to a new unit..." What is "UB" and "new unit"? Thanks for the help. :-)
 #1264011  by emfinite

Another piece of Morris Park trivia:

I'm not sure if it's in the UTU contract or just a hold over from a previous contract or whatever, but the UB customarily doesn't handle switches west of the crosswalk down there. Usually they will handle the top switches of the yard and the Hostler will handle switches west of the walk. Some UBs ride along with the Hostler and they'll help get switches anywhere in the yard to facilitate quick moves but some don't. Any of the retired guys know why?
 #1264118  by Datenail

Another piece of Morris Park trivia:

I'm not sure if it's in the UTU contract or just a hold over from a previous contract or whatever, but the UB customarily doesn't handle switches west of the crosswalk down there. Usually they will handle the top switches of the yard and the Hostler will handle switches west of the walk. Some UBs ride along with the Hostler and they'll help get switches anywhere in the yard to facilitate quick moves but some don't. Any of the retired guys know why?
The BLE in either the 1930's or 40's, successfully arbitrated that Engineers will have exclusive use of the turntable/roundhouse tracks/former backshop tracks and tracks in the surrounding vicinity. We had meetings with MofE years ago on that subject and it was decided to have overlapping hostler shifts so that hostlers (engineers) can assist each other with two person moves. As fas as I know, this is the situation today. Using another craft to assist a hostler, even conductors, would still incur a penalty from the engineers because of the arbitration mentioned above.
 #1264210  by kro52

nyandw wrote:The Switchman's Shanty is at location #9 on the map below.

Here's the Emery map 1958 location (too wide to post here):http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... s-1958.jpg

In the '99 photo location #5 was added. What's it function/name?
Greetings,
The building #5 was the mechanics room for electricians,machinists and a supply room for special oils, repair parts etc.
KRO52
 #1264382  by nyandw

452 Card wrote:That 1954 shot has #3 track coming off #4 after it comes off the ladder track. The later shots all have #3 trailing into the lower ladder. Wonder what was the reason for the realignment? Also, there were more tracks near the oil house (lower left), which reveals why the roof on the oil house is on an angle so the engines would clear it. All that was gone when I started in 1974.
Photo shot from the sanding tower. There are “Dashing Dan” logos on the locomotives, which were added in February, 1959, per the “Long Island Railroader” magazine but the paint jobs look extremely weathered, so this wouldn’t be 1959 or they’d look freshly out-shopped.

The Fairbanks-Morse units are still in service. They were pulled in 1964 and replaced by the C420 units. Not a C420 in sight in this view so they probably hadn’t yet arrived on the property; thus 1962-63.
Archive: Jim Gillin, Photo: LIRR, Research: Dave Keller
 #1265502  by nyandw

nyandw wrote:At the location of #5 in the older photo Emery's map 1958 has: T.C.C. for fuel tank car unloading...What is T.C.C.? Thanks!
Correction(s) from Emery maps and research: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... s-1958.jpg 1958 Morris Park Emery

1. Photo 1976 and 1999: Location #5 is listed Engineer Inspector's Office on 1958 Emery #53 Did this become the "Mechanics room for electricians,machinists and a supply room for special oils, repair parts etc."??

2. The T.C.C location is at Emery #58 just left off this photo. TCC = Tank car connection (Is this correct?) My error on location. :(

3. Here is actually the T.C.C. location: Image Info: D. Keller, Map: S. Lynch just to the left of this location: Image
LIRR #111 H10s on turntable lead track, oil tank cars, view SW 11/1954 (Rugen-Huneke)
 #1265549  by kro52

Greetings:
Answers to :
#1 I believe no. 53 actually meant ENGINE inspectors office,thus housing machinists and electricians. As you can see it was abreviated on Emery.
#2 The TCC was actually used to service the fuel dock which is just out of frame in the photo.

KRO52
 #1265715  by nyandw

kro52 wrote:Greetings: Answers to : #1 I believe no. 53 actually meant ENGINE inspectors office,thus housing machinists and electricians. As you can see it was abreviated on Emery. #2 The TCC was actually used to service the fuel dock which is just out of frame in the photo. KRO52
Thank you. I'll check into item 1 further. :-) Yes location #58 was T.C.C. is TCC "tank car connection"?