Railroad Forums 

• Morris Park interesting Before and After

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1261618  by nyandw

Morris Park view E 1976
Morris Park view E 4/05/99 Photo: Mario Craig

What we have here are quarter century views apart of LIRR changes in the east view towards towards Dunton Tower. The two photos have been taken from the exact same location with a few feet either way.

I might be interesting to list the observed changes between the two photos? I can start it off with a simple easy one: The blue painted maintained water tower has had severe rust and neglect.
 #1261635  by Doc Emmet Brown

The old yardmasters office In the first photo, the building with the tower on top just left of center on the top. It also had the Crew facilities in it. There was also a car wash behind it. Now that whole area is the car wash building, and the crew facilities and yardmasters office is to the left, out of frame. Also on the bottom of the first Photo, it looks like the nose of one of the first gp 38's.
 #1261679  by jayrmli

Shots like this are always fascinating. Both capture the motive power changes the railroads were undergoing at the time, so you see quite a varied mix of old and new power.

I was 5 when that first photo was taken, and brought back memories of my Dad taking me down there every afternoon to watch the engines from Atlantic Avenue.

I'm guessing the photo was taken from the old sanding tower, so that vantage point can't be recreated anymore either.

Thanks for posting!
 #1261689  by 4behind2

Notice too the M1's stored on 1&2 Receiving Yard, and 1& 2 Atlantic. This was normal procedure until the mid-1980's.

The Mail Dock also had one M1 trainset each day for "intense" cleaning, which was difficult when the cars had carpeting in them.
 #1261764  by Doc Emmet Brown

I was working there, 3 years before the first Picture, and 7 years after the second one. Ouch. I turn the big 60 this week Worked everything they had, including everything they have today. That will change when the new engines and M-9's start showing up.
 #1262704  by nyandw

Teutobergerwald wrote:I think the blue & white Alco C420 in the the 1976 view next to the FA-1 power-pack is the 224, which had, at first, a narrow top white stripe.
Teutobergerwald: Wow, a super nice spot! L2-#224 as follows:
LIRR #224 upper stripe narrow Morris Park c. 02/03/1976 Photo: Tim Darnell

Thus Tim's photo correlates nicely with the stripe on the photo:
In looking at the shadows cast from the smoke deflectors on the white stripe it sure appears to be the too narrow striped #224 above.

LIRR #224 upper stripe "correct" repaint Photo: Tim Darnell
 #1263138  by Fla East Coast Chris

Steve, you could be right repainted AND neglect. The heat in that lil shanty operated off the third rail.. The heater was enclosed in a metal shield. You turned a toggle switch and it would take a few minutes to begin glowing red. Very hot and dangerous at times..
just off topic... The old BROOK Tower in Flatbush Ave(Atlantic Terminal)That heat operated the same way off the third rail. The heater was right behind you when you were at the machine doing your moves.. Dunton tower had the old cast iron radiators. That was steam heat!!! Very comfy up there on a cold winters night..
 #1263146  by nyandw

Fla East Coast Chris wrote:Steve, you could be right repainted AND neglect. The heat in that lil shanty operated off the third rail.. The heater was enclosed in a metal shield. You turned a toggle switch and it would take a few minutes to begin glowing red. Very hot and dangerous at times..
just off topic... The old BROOK Tower in Flatbush Ave(Atlantic Terminal)That heat operated the same way off the third rail. The heater was right behind you when you were at the machine doing your moves.. Dunton tower had the old cast iron radiators. That was steam heat!!! Very comfy up there on a cold winters night..
Hey Chris: Thxs :-) I'm exploring the paint scheme (1976/99) and the building in '79 just east of the crew building.

However, the info about the shanty is interesting as follows: Is a crossing watchman shanty different than switchman shanty, the Five W's, schemes, locations, use ,etc.....

I've got a bunch of material on this.

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Shanti ... anties.htm
http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/patcho ... chogue.htm 60% down the page.

If ANYONE wants to do shanty material lets start a new thread as I'd like to keep this MPark thread Before/After thread pure, BUT the shanty thread sure sounds like a GREAT idea. :-)
 #1263264  by frankie

Here's another shot from the same locale circa sometime in the '50's. Note the diversity of equipment in this photo especially with the mix of steam and diesel.

Now we have three different time periods of diversification to study.

Frankie

(Photo courtesy of Arrtsarrchives for educational purposes only)