Railroad Forums 

• The remaining GP-40FH-2's: The End?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1194071  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:
beanbag wrote:4140 was running the entire time it was in Canada, so there is no chance that any components that would have gone bad (bearings, prime mover components etc.)from just sitting around could have gone bad (unlike 4141 and 4138), they likely determined that 4140 was in the best shape to get rolling straight off the bat. I'd be surprised if the others follow.
4143 was getting work done in the MMC but i'm not sure what happened to it now. They put an Over The Road K5LA on it so maybe it will come back.
Isn't that the same kind of horn that the MLs have? I hope someone accidentally puts 4112s old P5 (if it still is in fact lying around the property somewhere) on one.
The 4112's P5 failed to meet FRA standards for noise and was since replaced. You won't find it on any engine since any engine with it will be non-compliant with federal regulations.
Right. Thanks for the reminder Sixty-six. It's a shame.
 #1194088  by ChrisU

beanbag wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:
beanbag wrote:4140 was running the entire time it was in Canada, so there is no chance that any components that would have gone bad (bearings, prime mover components etc.)from just sitting around could have gone bad (unlike 4141 and 4138), they likely determined that 4140 was in the best shape to get rolling straight off the bat. I'd be surprised if the others follow.
4143 was getting work done in the MMC but i'm not sure what happened to it now. They put an Over The Road K5LA on it so maybe it will come back.
Isn't that the same kind of horn that the MLs have? I hope someone accidentally puts 4112s old P5 (if it still is in fact lying around the property somewhere) on one.
Yes the MLs, 46As,DPs, some Geeps, some Comet V cabs, and an F40.
Here's a list of Geeps, F40s, and Comet Vs that have OTRs: 4109,4124,4150, 4202,4203,4205,4603,4607,4610,4617,4620,4909,6041,6073. There maybe a few others Alps or Comet Vs.
 #1194514  by Clear Of BH

NJTArrow2 wrote:
beanbag wrote:
NJTArrow2 wrote:
Yes the MLs, 46As,DPs, some Geeps, some Comet V cabs, and an F40.
Here's a list of Geeps, F40s, and Comet Vs that have OTRs: 4109,4124,4150, 4202,4203,4205,4603,4607,4610,4617,4620,4909,6041,6073. There maybe a few others Alps or Comet Vs.
No transit trains have over the road K5LA horns. Those horns were a short production run type thing by nathan for trucks and large road vehicles. The new horns on the equipment listed above are Nathan Airchime's Raised Letter K5LA series that has been in production from 2006 to present. Nathan has fixed all mistuned bells K bells in production as of early 2012.
 #1194566  by blockline4180

Clear of BH,

Hmmm, then maybe he was referring to the K5LA's that weren't restricted by NJT????? I'm trying to figure out why he mentioned those particular numbers and not others!
 #1194577  by ChrisU

blockline4180 wrote:Clear of BH,

Hmmm, then maybe he was referring to the K5LA's that weren't restricted by NJT????? I'm trying to figure out why he mentioned those particular numbers and not others!
Nope they have Over The Roads and they sound terrible...
 #1194606  by trainzrok

All the "Over the Road" means is that there is a 1/8" or greater base restrictor.... Did transit get them with the restrictors? Who knows, but the horn on 4143 is a newer Raised letter K5LA.. at that.
 #1194615  by blockline4180

Ok, so then does anyone know which engines or cab cars have the louder, unrestricted horns????
 #1194753  by ACeInTheHole

Bit off topic but worst horn on the railroad is by far that of Arrow #1487.. Passed me the other day.. Engineer laid on it.. Sounded literally like an air horn in a can. Maybe we should start a new thread for horn discussion?
 #1195585  by 25Hz

beanbag wrote:Bit off topic but worst horn on the railroad is by far that of Arrow #1487.. Passed me the other day.. Engineer laid on it.. Sounded literally like an air horn in a can. Maybe we should start a new thread for horn discussion?
I tried that in SEPTA form, was shot down quickly, perhaps put those posts in the nonsense thread?

I have a few photos of 4141, here they are.......

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... 832bfd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... 6d7fa0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... 0fc02f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is the "spout" on the top of the cowl in this photo? Always wondered about that...
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... 83ae3f.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... b005f7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1195592  by Jtgshu

If you're talking about the thing next to the ladder, on the angled part of the roof, its a sand fill cap.
 #1195598  by 25Hz

Jtgshu wrote:If you're talking about the thing next to the ladder, on the angled part of the roof, its a sand fill cap.
Stupid question, but how do they get sand up there outside of MMC, is that why there's a ladder?
 #1195616  by Jtgshu

25Hz wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:If you're talking about the thing next to the ladder, on the angled part of the roof, its a sand fill cap.
Stupid question, but how do they get sand up there outside of MMC, is that why there's a ladder?
Yes, well and to access the roof - Geeps have ladders (well, grab irons) too, on the hind end, with a sand fill cap in the center of the roof near the edge. The sanders are filled by hoses which hang down, and are generally located in fuel pads, but they are also in other yards and sometimes have portable sand fillers, which are pressurized containers on wheels that are filled with sand from the big sand tower and wheeled out to a train that can't access the sand tower.
 #1195657  by NJT4115

Sorry to be off-topic, but why does 4140 have disco stripes? I was expecting to see Phase V and wondering what that would look on an FH
 #1195703  by CNJGeep

NJT4115 wrote:Sorry to be off-topic, but why does 4140 have disco stripes? I was expecting to see Phase V and wondering what that would look on an FH
Why would the 4140 be wearing Amtrak paint? I'm fairly certain NJT does not have a scheme referred to as "Phase V."