Railroad Forums 

• The Honorary Nonsense 7277 Sideswipe Where's Cruiser Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1184755  by ACeInTheHole

That moment when you're finishing up work on your take home final exam that everyone said was a take home(got to class late so I missed the professor talking about it..) and then.. The 2AM the morning when the exam was supposed to be scheduled you finally notice the three words to the right of "final exam"... Those three words? "Take home portion".. Great..
 #1185206  by 25Hz

Mbta fan wrote:That's just stupid to lay on those tracks. He's lucky an acela or regional wasnt going by.
I've heard that tracks with an electrified system be it 3rd rail or overhead line, connecting the 2 rails can complete a circuit & zap you pretty good.
 #1185210  by lirr42

25Hz wrote:I've heard that tracks with an electrified system be it 3rd rail or overhead line, connecting the 2 rails can complete a circuit & zap you pretty good.
I think touching the two running rails together and completing that circuit has something to do with the signal system (i.e. a train's two metal wheels and the metal body complete the circuit between the two running rails telling the signals that there is a train there. I could be wrong, though, I'm not insane enough to test it myself. Close. But not that loopy.
 #1185332  by Tadman

For the purposes of traction power, the running rails are the return leg of the circuit. You can't zap yourself by shorting them. The locomotive shorts said running rails due to metal wheels and truck frames. Not that I would advise being on a live track and trying this anyway.

They surest way to get zapped is to short the circuit between active catenary or third rail and ground. Ground can include the running rails. Do not do this.
 #1185551  by MBTA1016

People don't fare well when it comes to gettig hit by a train. And when they do its to late for them.

On a side note. Today is the one month anniversary of the marathon bombings. I don't want to make this into a disscussion, but there have been some new updates. One of the bombers is buried in Virginia, the other one is at the former Ft.Devins military base in the federal hospital that's there. Boston is back to normal except the growing memorial. Thoughts and prayers are still with the victims an their families. A shootout to all the states and federal agencies that helped in the search and capture of the suspects.

Back to your normally scheduled nonsense.
 #1185689  by ApproachMedium

Tadman wrote:For the purposes of traction power, the running rails are the return leg of the circuit. You can't zap yourself by shorting them. The locomotive shorts said running rails due to metal wheels and truck frames. Not that I would advise being on a live track and trying this anyway.

They surest way to get zapped is to short the circuit between active catenary or third rail and ground. Ground can include the running rails. Do not do this.
While the rails are the return part of the circuit it is still not advisable to touch them unless need be in electric territory.

The voltage run thru rails used for block detection, cab signals and track code is never more than a few volts, and noting more than an amp or two. It really could not do much of any harm to you, but again. why on earth would you be standing over a section of block signaled, cab signaled main line track trying to make contact with both rails? You have to be some kind of breed of stupid.
 #1187725  by MBTA1016

If any member of railroad.net has family in the Moore or Oklahoma City area my thoughts and prayers are with them at this time.
This is all from CNN, two schools got hit one was an elementary school. Children are trapped under the rubble. One school was in Moore and the other one was in Oklahoma City. They supported us up here in Boston, now they need our support. CNN also reporting it was a 2mile wide tornado on the ground for about 40miles.

I started this on twitter, #OklahomaCityStrong.
 #1187754  by MBTA1016

Updated info from CNN: 10 people confirmed dead in Moore, no info on the school in Moore. Search and rescue still underway. Two schools destroyed, national weather service rating the tornado as an EF-4, this will probably change by tomorrow. Highways shut down to allow emergency traffic through.
 #1188263  by ACeInTheHole

Since were on the topic of Darwin Award candidates, some genius managed to high center a John Deere Alligator on the tracks at Short Hills.. Drove it up the hill adjacent thinking it was a quick short cut and got it stuck on the westbound track, nearly got himself creamed by two trains, he bailed right as 6651 was leaving short hills and 6666 was coming around the corner, Trains 6666 and 6651 both had to slam it into emergency... 6651 had to make a reverse move down to the interlocking at Millburn ad switch over to the eastbound track to come back up... It's schedule by then was completely shot as it was running 7 minutes behind already before encountering the roadblock... At least three westbounds had to use the eastbound track, some brute strength on the part of several Millburn police officers that showed up got the stricken Alligator off the right of way.
Last edited by ACeInTheHole on Wed May 22, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1188305  by NJT4115

I guess that's why people criticize New Jersey drivers
 #1188579  by MBTA1016

Massachusetts drivers are worse, I've lived in MA my entire life and have seen stupidity or just plain cluelessness on to many occasions. I could make a list but its to long for me to post.