Railroad Forums 

• NY&A Rolling Stock??

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1137046  by rscott417

Does NYA currently own any other rolling stock other than the caboose and the passenger car? I saw a few articles online that said they have 60 gondolas but can't find any other info like what they're used for or any pictures of them. Also what do they use the passenger car for?
 #1137058  by freightguy

NYA had gons for Gershow service. Maybe from like 1998 to 2000. When that lease expired they leased mill gons from MS And CEFX for Gershow
 #1140433  by DogBert

There is still a small batch of the GERX (gershow) cars around. There were a few of them slowly being loaded in the ENY siding as of yesterday, and a few empties parked with CEFX cars parked closer to fresh pond. I believe they own the GERX cars them directly.
 #1142796  by gregorygrice

rscott417 wrote:Does NYA currently own any other rolling stock other than the caboose and the passenger car? I saw a few articles online that said they have 60 gondolas but can't find any other info like what they're used for or any pictures of them. Also what do they use the passenger car for?
The NYA coach was used for excursions but is now being donated to a museum somewhere and awaiting inspection by a CSX official.
 #1142871  by Insideman

Catskill Mountain RR is where its going.
 #1142946  by jayrmli

I'll believe it's going to Catskill Mountain when I see it. CSX has a special hate/hate relationship with the old LIRR coaches. They derailed/demolished several of them back when the fleet was retired and sent offline, most of which went CSX. They outright banned the movement of those cars after one derailment.

I hope the car finds a good home somewhere, but the trip to get there will be interesting...
 #1143100  by Backshophoss

The "pings" are lighter then freight cars,LIRR did minamal maintance on the cars at the end as the C-3's went online.
They didn't play well in freight trains and tended to pick switches. There was a Heavy Push to get them off the LIRR
due to the lease payments paid to outfit that bought the entire fleet.(some sort of delay with the C-3's delivery)
As the pings "rotted" in sidings waiting to be sold,the air brake systems became "outdated",some of the bearings (wheelset)
rusted,vandels trashed the interiors,etc.....

Catskill Mtn is not connected to CSX,car will have to put on a flatbed to get to them anyway.
 #1143247  by jayrmli

The problem is it is very difficult nowadays to move passenger equipment in a freight train. There aren't many (if any) "old heads" around who worked for railroads back when they were operating both passenger and freight. This causes problems...

Under most circumstances, when passenger cars are moved in a freight consist, they are to be placed at the rear of the train. In the derailment that prompted CSX to ban movement of the cars, a few coaches destined for New Hope & Ivyland were placed in the middle of a freight train. The weight of the cars on the rear crushed the coaches, causing a very bad derailment.

Passenger cars also can't be coupled to cars with double shelf couplers. Attempting to do so will damage the end of the car.
 #1143319  by freightguy

Working in Fresh Pond it changed 3x one day how CSX wanted the coaches placed on the outbound train.

First they wanted the cars head out so they would be right behind the engines.
Second, they wanted the cut of ex LIRR coaches on the rear.
Third they wanted on the rear with a boxcar on the hind end.

A much easier move was when they shipped out the ore jennies. They went out in a large unit train after a CSX car inspector cleared the cars. I believe they went to Minnesota to one of the taconite operations. These were the cars used to ship the rock out to Prima in Holtsville, NY

I watched a brakeman hitch up a retired LIRR coach with a shelf coupler tank car. It didn't work out too well and took about 5 times to make the joint. For a little while NYA was holding the cars captive because the guy in Maryland wasn't paying NYAR for moving the coaches.
 #1143337  by jayrmli

At the time the old LIRR were moved, there was special instructions placed on the waybill which would specify the placement of the cars in the train and prohibitions such as not coupling to a car with a shelf coupler. Of course, some crews as freightguy mentioned above chose to ignore and/or disregard the instructions.

Nowadays, movement of these cars is a little more streamlined once the car is registered in the UMLER system and an ID tag is placed on the side of the car. However, there is an added step of getting the car registered into UMLER. As far as I know, the NYA coach isn't registered.
 #1143405  by mikey cruz

well placing them in the middle of a consist seems dumb on any railroads part knowing the difference in weight, the shelf coupler thing I didn't know about.
 #1143456  by Backshophoss

Passenger car air brakes have to setup for "direct release" when put on a freight train,if left in normal
"graduated release",the brakes will not work properly and create problems.
Passenger Cars used in Mixed train service had to set up for direct release.