Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by trackml2

C-3's cannot move on their own. On their own they are nothing but a cold can of tuna. Most of the LIRR diesel trains are push-pull ( one engine, trailer cars, and a cab car) with either the 400 or 500 series engines. Then we operate the single seat rides to NYC. Two 500 series engines (dual modes) are used for this. You could use one engine but you would gap going through the interlockings, so two are used. The diesels are used between Ronkonkoma and Greenport, Babylon and Montauk, Port Jeff Branch, Oyster Bay Branch, Central Branch. Of course, they can operate beyond these points but this is where there is no 3rd rail.

The blue light on the engine and cab car signify that the ASC is cut in.

Hope this was helpful. Was written quite quickly.

by trackml2

Neil, ya beat me by seconds
  by RC '75

Thanks so much for the great information.

I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on this too. Would you happen to know what some of the indicator lights represent on the C3's?

From watching the trains operate, I'm guessing at most of them. The outside door indicator lights I believe to have down. I think the outside indicator lights at the conductor windows are (red, white, amber) on trailer cars. The cab car has an additional blue light. Do you guys know what the red and amber lights represent?

by trackml2

Cab car

Blue - ASC on
Red (flashing) local hand brake applied
White Conductor station energized
Amber - Local Air Brake Applied
Trailer Cars

Same as above minus the blue light
  by BMC

I heard that when the electric service was done between Hicksville and Ronkonkoma was done the cost was one miliion dollars a mile and that was how many years ago?

2778 leaves out of my yard ... LIC with passengers.

by S@fino

Here are the informations I need to know for my magazin article. It has to be 100% right!!

a.) locomotive width
b.) locomotive hight
c.) wheel diameter
d.) tractive effort
e.) maximum (top) starting tractive effort
f.) fuel tank capacity
g.) compressor type
h.) traction alternator type
i.) traction motor type

by M1 9147

Hey, I wasn't expecting a method of competition of beating people in my postings, lol. Just a note, there are 2 active DM30AC's which still have the old number under the headlight with one dead one instead of the flags, and they are 500, 503, and 517. All of the other engines have the flags under the headlight.
  by de402

I was watching a train pass by from 160th street & Archer and on the west end I think it was a dual mode. Possibly, 514? The unit was filthy, like someone had thrown oil on it, set it on fire, and then ran it for 6 months without a wash. Anyone know which one it is?
Last edited by de402 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by M1 9147

I do believe it is 514, because I've seen it with loads of oil on one side of the engine. I remember seeing it last week like that roaming along the Port Jeff Branch as a push-pull engine in a consist. It was however not on a dual-mode run.
  by Sean 418

the last I saw of 514 it was in the Advance yard last week . Before that the 506 was there. I have not seen the 506 on the road lately.

by S@fino

Lirr168 wrote:What kind of information are you looking for exactly S@fino?
Here are the informations I need to know for my magazin article. It has to be 100% right!!

a.) locomotive width
b.) locomotive hight
c.) wheel diameter
d.) tractive effort
e.) maximum (top) starting tractive effort
f.) fuel tank capacity
g.) compressor type
h.) traction alternator type
i.) traction motor type