Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by AmtrakPhill629

Whats the difference between the DM30 and DE30?

by Lirr168

As I only recently learned, the difference is that the DM is a Dual mode locomotive, meaning that it can run under both diesel and electric (third rail) power. These units are numbered 500 and up on the LIRR. The DE is a diesel electric, meaning that it converts diesel fuel to electric power in order to run the locomotive. These units have road numbers 400 and up. Hope that helps.

by LIRailfan79

so locomotives numbered above 500 can be either a DE or DM but anything between 400 and 499 can only be a DE?

by Lirr168

LI Railfan,

Sorry i wasn't clear about that. DE's will have raod numbers from 400 up, but less than 500. Then, the DM's are 500 and up but less than 600. I cannot say for sure how many the LIRR has of each, maybe someone else could help out with that info...
  by N340SG

There's 23 of each.

by NIMBYkiller

Only the DMs go to NYP. They have the 3rd rail shoes to pick up the electricity.

by Lirr168

Correct NIMBY. in fact, I believe that the railroad requires the DMs on the main line to run on third rail power west of Jamaica.

by Long Island 7285

DE's 23 around the system, there the basic diesel locomotive (diesel engine provides power to create electric to drive the traction motors to drive the train)

DM's 23, 22 around the system as the (503) is OOS since the shoe beam fire. the DM's run on both third rail power and regular deisel eletric power.

we call a diesel locomotive a diesel locomotive. but they are really a" diesel eletric" locomotive. thats the same for all diesels, thats why they dont have transmissions.

by timz

"in fact, I believe that the railroad requires the DMs on the main line to run on third rail power west of Jamaica."

On westward trains, you mean?

by Lirr168

timz,

i'm actually not sure about that, though my guess would be both east and west bound trains. to be quite honest, i'm not 100% certain that using electric power west of jamaica is what they still do; i had heard this from a guy in MOW two years ago. although he would be in a better position than most to have such information, it may not be perfect info.

by M1 9147

DM's ONLY run in electric mode west of Jamaica going to Penn only. DM's which run to LIC, or Hunterspoint Ave., still run in diesel mode. The switchover to Electric usually takes place west of Nassau on the Main Line, or Valley on the Montauk Branch, and switches to diesel going east right outside the East River Tubes.

by AmtrakPhill629

Is there any pyhsical differences?

by Lirr168

the most noticeable physical difference is that the DM's have third rail shoes, whereas the DE's do not. Other than that, I believe that the exteriors are for the most part identical.

by M1 9147

DE's are #'s 400-422
DM's are #'s 500-522 (with the third rail gear).

Both units though are identical.

by S@fino

I need some informations about this locos. Can anybody help me, please?