• Possible NJ Transit Fare Increase and Service Cuts

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

loufah wrote:a more logical way to help these people is to give discounts based on family income rather than on time of day.
How's a ticket agent supposed to know that? "What rate should I charge you? Let me see your W2 form please. Hmmm...You don't make much do you?" That's asking for a black eye.
People are sometimes offended when I ask them if they are sixty-two yet, to see if they are entitled to half fares. (Now and then I'll somebody money that way.) How are they going to like it when I ask them what they are worth? It could be a bit trickey.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
  by loufah

philipmartin wrote:How's a ticket agent supposed to know that? "What rate should I charge you? Let me see your W2 form please."
There's already a program for reduced fares for the elderly and disabled, including coupon books for some transportation modes. Discounts based on financial need could presumably work the same way.

Some government and non-government organizations already ask to see your most recent year's tax return (not simply a W-2) to grant you the appropriate discount or discount ID.
  by philipmartin

loufah wrote:There's already a program for reduced fares for the elderly and disabled, including coupon books for some transportation modes. Discounts based on financial need could presumably work the same way.
Some government and non-government organizations already ask to see your most recent year's tax return (not simply a W-2) to granting you the appropriate discount or discount ID.
I think NJ Transit Bus had coupons for reduced rates. I think a few people presented them to me me years ago. But they were no good on the rail side. I suppose a customer could show me food stamps, and get a half fare, or pay with food stamps.
I'd love going through a customer's tax return, during rush hour, with a line around the building, and the train approaching. I have enough trouble figuring out my own tax return, and I take the standard deduction. I'm sure a ticket collector on a train would enjoy it too.
  by Ken S.

philipmartin wrote:
loufah wrote:There's already a program for reduced fares for the elderly and disabled, including coupon books for some transportation modes. Discounts based on financial need could presumably work the same way.
Some government and non-government organizations already ask to see your most recent year's tax return (not simply a W-2) to granting you the appropriate discount or discount ID.
I think NJ Transit Bus had coupons for reduced rates. I think a few people presented them to me me years ago. But they were no good on the rail side. I suppose a customer could show me food stamps, and get a half fare, or pay with food stamps.
I'd love going through a customer's tax return, during rush hour, with a line around the building, and the train approaching. I have enough trouble figuring out my own tax return, and I take the standard deduction. I'm sure a ticket collector on a train would enjoy it too.
Little blue coupons? Those are for going to/from NYC on the private bus carriers (Academy, Lakeland, etc).

An ideal solution for the rail side to the fare/income issue would be to allow NJT to accept EBT as either full or partial payment for transportation. The only real problem is implementing this on the bus side with on-board cash only payments.
  by amtrakowitz

nick11a wrote:Unfortunately, the state is not in good shape and it isn't getting any better.

Actually, I would be curious to see the revenue difference from before the elimination of ORT/RTX and after.
Current ED Ronnie Hankin claims an $80 million shortfall, compared to five years ago when it was $300 million.

Wall Street Journal
… Any proposal for fare increases would prompt public hearings and would have to be approved by the board.

Ms. Hakim said NJ Transit has found $40 million in savings as officials put together a budget for fiscal 2016, which begins July 1. The agency plans to reduce scheduled overtime and to spend less on fuel, she said. …
I myself am curious as to how all that spending on new rolling stock would compare to the original plans for rebuilding rolling stock. NJT is still considering "MLV power cars" per a 2014 meeting too.
  by loufah

philipmartin wrote:I'd love going through a customer's tax return, during rush hour, with a line around the building, and the train approaching.
Happily, there are other people in your organization who can do that, as well as looking through the rest of a customer's application for assistance (e.g. the employees who screen customers' eligibility for paratransit), and it only has to be done once a year.
  by TrainPhotos

One must wonder why a gas tax and/or corporate tax increase isn't being considered to solve NJ's budget issues.

History has shown time and time again that areas of poor investment do poorly.
  by kilroy

One must wonder why a gas tax and/or corporate tax increase isn't being considered to solve NJ's budget issues
Because our Republican Governor is running for President.

Also a majority of citizens in this fine state don't want the gas tax increased. Appears they have a constitutional right to cheap gas. Of course they don't want any other taxes increased wither but still want the roads fixed. Everyone supports the something for nothing plan.
  by Ken W2KB

kilroy wrote:
One must wonder why a gas tax and/or corporate tax increase isn't being considered to solve NJ's budget issues

Also a majority of citizens in this fine state don't want the gas tax increased. Appears they have a constitutional right to cheap gas. Of course they don't want any other taxes increased wither but still want the roads fixed. Everyone supports the something for nothing plan.
Because it is absolutely wrong to look at any single tax as a stand-alone issue. The proper measure is not that the NJ gas tax is one of the lowest in the nation; the proper measure is to evaluate the overall aggregate taxation level in NJ, including consideration of the gas tax, which is among the very highest in the nation. Infrastructure improvements should be funded by identifying and eliminating unreasonable costs, political patronage contracts, low value programs and so forth.
  by F40

Ken W2KB wrote:
kilroy wrote:

Because it is absolutely wrong to look at any single tax as a stand-alone issue. The proper measure is not that the NJ gas tax is one of the lowest in the nation; the proper measure is to evaluate the overall aggregate taxation level in NJ, including consideration of the gas tax, which is among the very highest in the nation. Infrastructure improvements should be funded by identifying and eliminating unreasonable costs, political patronage contracts, low value programs and so forth.
I concur. Anyone can look at their property tax bill (which NJ always trades places with some other state each year as the highest in the country) and bulge at those numbers compared to how much you would pay elsewhere. Next time you look at your bonus, ask yourself if you want the government to have more. It is simply inhumane how much is their share (though I am including federal tax in this case). In addition, the NJ Turnpike raked in $992 million in tolls in 2012, making it the most (yes most) profitable toll road in the nation. In several years time, you would think they can completely build another Turnpike. What needs to happen is more transparency in where all this money is going and make changes as needed because something is not adding up.
  by philipmartin

I appreciate the last two posts. The "free ride" we are getting in New Jersey is illusiary.
  by TrainPhotos

F40 wrote:What needs to happen is more transparency in where all this money is going and make changes as needed because something is not adding up.
Agree.

I cannot see as bright a future that could have been for the greater NY metro region & its commuting bedroom communities that NJT furnishes with transport if fares are pushed much higher. We are teetering on the edge of NJT being unaffordable for a large amount of people that would not qualify for a discount fare. 30 odd dollars from trenton-princeton junction round trip for example, plus parking and/or connecting transit/services.
  by amtrakowitz

TrainPhotos wrote:One must wonder why a gas tax and/or corporate tax increase isn't being considered to solve NJ's budget issues.

History has shown time and time again that areas of poor investment do poorly.
Calling government spending "investment"? That myth was broken once we hit the late 1960s.

Enough businesses have left NJ already; doubling down on taxes will exacerbate the flight. Increasing taxes while keeping government spending at untenable levels will result in bankruptcy, like Detroit MI and Stockton CA—and if anyone thinks it cannot happen at state level, think again.
  by TDowling

Weird....MTA is hiking fares but plans to add service on the port jervis line that I believe will make stops in Jersey. I guess you could thank ny for softening this purported blow to service at least somewhat. :)