Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Idiot Railfan

Speaking of Heritage paint schemes...

Here's my idea of how these units might look if painted in predecessor road colors. My thanks to Jeff L. for appropriating his photo! (Hope you don't mind, Jeff!)

http://homepage.mac.com/jakepatrick/.Public/el.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/jakepatrick/.Pu ... rgreen.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/jakepatrick/.Public/prrred.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/jakepatrick/.Public/cnj.jpg
Last edited by Idiot Railfan on Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by GandyDancer

Idiot - I was hoping you'd apply your considerable skills to this. Thanks. They look great!

Really, someone from NJT should see this. With some of that new fare hike money they're collecting to protect the capital budget, they could throw us a bone or two :-D

by Jtgshu

Wow, that CNJ paint reminds me of the Balwin doublenders -

Picture a "CNJ PL42" pulling 3 or 4 Bi-levels down the Seashore Branch, between Highlands and Atlantic Highlands, pulling out on to the wye to the ferry terminal pier.....oh boy that would be nice

Hey, the ferries are back and booming in the Bayshore, maybe the railroad is next?!??!

by thebigc

Pretty sharp, IR!!!

How about a CNJ Red Baron? Like the geeps and RS-3s had.

by hsr_fan

Jtgshu wrote:Picture a "CNJ PL42" pulling 3 or 4 Bi-levels down the Seashore Branch, between Highlands and Atlantic Highlands, pulling out on to the wye to the ferry terminal pier.....oh boy that would be nice
Wouldn't that be something! If I'm thinking of the same ROW, I was just there the other day...it's now the Henry Hudson bike trail. (And I bought a soda at the store where I'm pretty sure they filmed the movie "Clerks".) :-D

by Jtgshu

Yup, thats it, The Henry Hudson trail. (Check out "the Henry Hudson Trail, the CNJ Seashore Branch", by Gallo)

Quick Stop in Leonardo is where Clerk's was filmed, (rumor has it around town that there is going to be a Clerk's 2 too) and there is now a deli called the Leonardo Deli and Cafe in the former "Depot Inn", an old tavern, right next to the tracks (trail now) and across the street, where there are now 4 or 5 new homes, was the site of the Leonardo station.

The trail currently ends at teh border of Leonardo and Atlantic Highlands, but is to be extended to the Altantic Highlands Marina in the near future. The marina is built on fill but really makes you realize how long the CNJ pier at Atlantic Highlands was.

But back on topic, with paint, even though I seriously doubt NJT will paint any in any predessor schemes, they are pretty sharp looking loco's! A LOT better than that horrendous scheme they had on the design.

by nick11a

IR, you never cease to amaze me! They do look really good!

by Idiot Railfan

Hey, thanks guys! I hope to do a Reading and PRSL next week.

by Irish Chieftain

Don't forget B&O—remember their Jersey City-Washington DC "Royal Blue" trains...

What with E-L out of the way already, should we revisit Erie and DL&W? We also had NYO&W coming into Weehawken...

by Olton Hall

Those are great renderings. I'm curious though, what would it look like with say, Tuscan Red and some variation of the disco stripes (a small descreat version or the new type such as on the ALP 46) and the word's NJ Transit. It is the current branding. That could fly with the brass though unlikely.

There is one non-US paint scheme that I like and that's the Great Western Railroad's (UK) green with white and gold strip was sharp. (not the new Blue with pink stripes)

by pdman

Idiot, these are fantastic!

A NYO&W one would certainly be a resurection to behold.

by njt4172

This is my favorite one
http://idisk.mac.com/jakepatrick/public/el.jpg

Idiot,

Could I submit these pictures to NJT so they can consider??? :-D
Also, can you do a NJDOT/EL paint scheme on one?

LOL.!

by thebigc

pdman wrote:Idiot, these are fantastic!

A NYO&W one would certainly be a resurection to behold.
Might look nice but there's no NJT heritage.

But again, you guys are right about one thing: NJT needs a fresh image.

by CNJ

I like your example of the Jersey Central unit.

I was going to ask...what do you think if you moved the "Jersey Central Lines" above the grating?

I though it stand out a little better there.

Otherwise its one great job!
Last edited by CNJ on Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by BigDell

Okay, Idiot Railfan convinced me. A butt-ugly engine CAN look markedly improved with the right paint scheme. The CNJ rendering almost brought a tear to my eye, it looks... stunning. Wow............. I might actually buy an HO version when Bachmann or Atlas releases is and paint it in this scheme...

Its going to be a big disappointment to see the actual engine in NJT aluminum with disco stripes... every time I see an ALP46 I'm reminded how good the old NJDOT grays looked... and that takes some doing.

IR, these were great. You ARE an artist... very well done and I think you can tell by the overall response, MUCH appreciated.......
BigDell