Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nova55

woudent and SDP45 be a good diesel?

by Lirr168

Anything would be better than the DE/DM fleet, lol

by emfinite

Now Phil, explain to all of us why this would be a better locomotive for the LIRR.

Joe

by Otto Vondrak

I think a G-5s (or two) would be a better engine for the LIRR, but what would I know? I'm from Westchester.

Phil, thanks for the non-sequitur.

-otto-
  by CNJGeep

AmtrakPhill629 wrote:Wouldnt this be a better diesel for LIRR.

http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery/album226/IMG_0539
Hell, it isn't even a good diesel for New Jersey Transit...

by RRChef

Personally, I think if you take a couple of old FL-9's and rebuild them to modern specs for a few million each that.....wait a minute....I think we've been down this road. :P
Would you please explain why you think these particular engines would be good for the LIRR?

by AmtrakPhill629

I should have worded it differently it would look nicer than the DE/DM30's.

by Lirr168

The PL42AC's are essentially Genesis locomotives, albeit slightly modified to comply with newer emissions standards and so forth. I do not off hand know the reason the LIRR rejected the Genesis locomotives, but I would venture that the same reservations would have existed with these. Above all, however, as poorly as the DEs have performed, they are not even a decade old, there would be no justification for replacing them at this point with the PL42AC.

(Edited for content)
Last edited by Lirr168 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by davelirrider

Shouldn't this thread be locked? :wink: lol.... I didn't think we were allowed to "what if" anymore... isn't this topic under the heading of "nonsense?"

by benltrain

why haven't they considered some P32s to replace the DMs? they seem to work for their MTA cousin metro-north, and would make for much better dual mode trains in terms of reliability...

I think that LIRR should put some money into trying to find a diesel that will work well for them, especially after they screwed up with the fleet they have now.

by alcoc420

Li168, I think you are confusing the P42DC from GE with the PL42 by Alsthom. IIRC, I read on one of the NJ forums the PL is more EMD than anything. Even though Alsthom is a big multinational company, the prime mover is an EMD model. Judging by the shape of the cowl, other components are probably EMD. The size and shape of the bevels look like an F45/SDP40/F40PH, etc.

I like the looks of it more than the DM/DEs, but I would like an F40PH or an LRC even more. Even better would be an HR416.

by Lirr168

alcoc420 wrote:Li168, I think you are confusing the P42DC from GE with the PL42 by Alsthom.
I recall reading that the PL42AC was designed by the same person as the Genesis; perhaps it only referred to the body design....

by benltrain

Lirr168 wrote:
AmtrakPhill629 wrote:I should have worded it differently it would look nicer than the DE/DM30's.
Not necessarily. It was not the best wording, but your post was no worse than the off-topic remark by a certain person who has appointed himself moderator of the forum. The PL42AC's are essentially Genesis locomotives, albeit slightly modified to comply with newer emissions standards and so forth. I do not off hand know the reason the LIRR rejected the Genesis locomotives, but I would venture that the same reservations would have existed with these. Above all, however, as poorly as the DEs have performed, they are not even a decade old, there would be no justification for replacing them at this point with the PL42AC.
as much as we tend to hate the DEs, Lirr168 might be right. Are the DEs or DMs bad enough for LIRR to consider replacing them anytime soon?

by Long Island 7285

My 2 cents,

It would have been better to rebuild the FAs with HEP and traction motors to use them as the "DM" and hotell power and re take a lease out on the Geeps.
HAVE the C3s with LL platform cabibilities. :-D