Railroad Forums 

• Penn Station to shut down during GOP convention.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#9797  by LI Loco

mattfels wrote:Because words matter . . .

The education legislation was nicknamed "No Child Left Behind."

The slogan of the Children's Defense Fund is "Leave No Child Behind." The slogan predates the nickname.

http://www.childrensdefense.org
Thank you for the clarification, Matt.

So even this hallmark of the President's agenda wasn't an original idea.

#11386  by apodino

I believe that the Secret Service is now under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security, not Treasury. It was originally formed to deal with counterfeit currency, the protection of the President was added later on.

#11465  by EMDFAN

LILoco wrote:

"Because Republicans are cheaper by the dozen and there would thousands of dozens of Republican there. "

Ah, yes, this from the party that preaches tolerance......

"Cogito Ergo Republicanus"

#11474  by LI Loco

EMDFAN wrote:LILoco wrote:

"Because Republicans are cheaper by the dozen and there would thousands of dozens of Republican there. "

Ah, yes, this from the party that preaches tolerance......

"Cogito Ergo Republicanus"
In a matter befitting of a party whose standard political M.O. is to take people's remark out of context in order to create a political smear, Mr. EMD Fan has quoted my line without giving you the benefit of the dialogue that preceded it in which I expressed concern about the safety of moving the GOP convention from Madison Square Garden to Shea Stadium.

Here is that conversation
LI Loco wrote:
GandyDancer wrote:
Send the Republicans to Shea Stadium and he'll be safe enough. Nobody wants to go there.

Ah, yes! Right in the flight path of planes taking off from La Guardia. What could be more perfect for Mr. bin Laden?

I'm no fan of Republicans, and I've lost my passion for the Mets years ago, but that would be too sick.

And why would that be any more dangerous than living right next to the flight path into Raegan National, which is where the commander in chief lives anyway?
Last question was posted by Jishnu.

BUSH LIED. PEOPLE DIED.

George W. Bush - Neither compassionate nor conservative.

#11478  by EMDFAN

LILoco wrote:

In a matter befitting of a party whose standard political M.O. is to take people's remark out of context in order to create a political smear......

I can think of several promenant Democrats who seem to make a pretty good living doing exactly that.....

#11608  by Schooltrain

Here's an idea ... Why not hold the GOP love fest at the Meadowlands? In that way, New York can still claim it as "theirs" and there will be plenty of room and parking for all of the delegates, security folks and lobbyists. Maybe ESPN can package the program and sell it to political junkies on a subscription only basis and not foul the airwaves for the rest of us.

Since the real Pennsylvania Station rests in "pieces" beneath that sprawling complex, the President can even claim he is supportive of rail passenger service by accepting the nomination at a venue built on the ruins of a once beautiful station. Then he can get in his limo (or helicopter) and hop over to Newark to take his private jet back to Washington or Texas or wherever, guzzling a gazillion gallons of fuel while the rest of us try to find an interurban train connection on a railroad that makes my favorite, the old New York, Ontario & Western, look healthy in comparison.

Lest anyone think this is a jab at the GOP, the Democrats ought to consider the same in the Foxborough area. They had the White House for eight years and treated Amtrak as the orphan child, deserving of what was left over after we subsidized airlines and the trucking and bus industries.

Gee, if the conventions were held at outdoor stadiums, the speeches might get shorter if little nuisances like mosquitoes, hot sun or thunder storms came along. Now, there's a real plus for all of us!

There is plenty of blame to go around for the mess that rail passenger service is in today in this country.

#13310  by CarterB

Seriously, given the latest fatwah/s from UBL, it might be prudent for both parties to consider alternative locations in/around Boston/NYC that are not sitting on top of vulnerable rail facilities. At this late date, however, hard to figure whether Foxboro or Meadowlands would work.

#13324  by updrumcorpsguy

Alternative locations are not going to happen. There's too much money on the line. The cancellation fees alone would be astronomical. In addition, the size and complexity of the political conventions, with their extensive media coverage and vast logistics, make it near impossible.
 #13333  by Schooltrain

When I suggested moving the GOP gathering to the Meadowlands (atop the landfill remnants of old Penn Station), it was meant as a bit of satire, not a serious suggestion.
 #32275  by dinky

Gilbert B Norman wrote:.....when the pachyderms and their two-legged friends come to town next month.
WOW! The circus is bringing in a bunch of hippos and rhinos?

#32276  by dinky

Kind of OT but since it was linked....there is a Kerry ad on the page....does that mean the NY Times leans towards the left? :wink:

However bad they are in hiding their bias, I never thought it would be kosher for them to accept a political ad.

#32279  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

this may have been discussed in the other 3 pages but if they shut down Penn Station, Amtrak will operate trains between Boston and then where would they stop in New York? Grand Central? adn where would they start/end from Washington D.C?

#32281  by metrarider

dinky wrote:Kind of OT but since it was linked....there is a Kerry ad on the page....does that mean the NY Times leans towards the left? :wink:

However bad they are in hiding their bias, I never thought it would be kosher for them to accept a political ad.
Political ads are present in all forms of media and in all newspapers I'm aware of.

Bias is natural, we all have our biases be it explicit or implicit, by statement or by omission. All forms of commentary and news reporting have bias. As long as we realise this we can take our own position on stories presented.

#32347  by LI Loco

The Times' political biases are truly off topic for this forum. Let's not waste any more bytes on them.