• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by johnpbarlow

newpylong wrote:
B&M 1227 wrote:well that would explain a lot. i'm still struggling to figure out what that means. control point freight main _______________(bleachery/bucksport(cant be bucksport but what else has a bk?!))
Control Point Burger King. A made up name for North Adams, MA where we would go eat while waiting on other trains.
I've also seen occasional reference to a similar "CP-BK" on the ex-Erie main near CP-BD in Binghamton where NYS&W yards its SU-99/100 trains. :-)
  by B&M 1227

heh, i'll have to remember that. it has a much nicer flow to it than north adams.
  by atholrail

Couple shots of an EDPO chase today, Athol to Baldwinville. Block of 15 LPG mid train, also had a 4 car set-off at Gardner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by newpylong

Love the first one... I think both tracks are all 25 mph now, I have heard meets are fun lately.
  by B&M 1227

There was a lot of stuff moving on the West End Wednesday afternoon. I stopped by Eagle Bridge around 2 and was surprised with an EDRJ (HLCX 8147w, MEC 601e, MEC 611w NS 3482e) sitting by the station and the headlight of an RJED (MEC 603e and MEC 618w). 22k with a pair of catfish followed east shortly after that, while a Batten Kill headlight showed up from the north. BK came down with 605, as well as all the log cars from Greenwich Jct (log business died off? I heard they had been sending high grade hardwood to Wisconsin to be made into veneer), as well as 4 hoppers. Not long after the Batten Kill got in, EDRJ took off (pic). I gave up EDRJ to chase the Batten Kill (pic1)(pic2)(pic3), who went north with 2 cars from RJ-1. According to a reputable person on the Guilford List, CP's giving up the Batten Kill interchange, with all traffic heading out on Pan Am. Does this mean CP is giving up BK traffic all together? Does any interchange occur between RJ-1 and CP? I figured most CP traffic went to Mohawk? Does RJ-1 ever stray there? I've also heard that CP is trying to consolidate traffic out of Binghamton and Saratoga, not that I'm hoping for a return of EDSR or anything, because I am.
  by newpylong

Yes CP will not be interchanging with the BKRR directly. Instead they will be handing off to Pan Am for delivery, probably on the interchange track at Crescent, but who knows.
  by B&M 1227

Make sense. 20 miles over someone elses railroad for a handful of cars a week doesn't really pay any bills.

I've had awesome luck with weekday afternoons lately, today catching RJED, EDRJ, AYRY, 206 and the Batten Kill. RJED showed up at Buskirk around 1:30pm with 601e and 4147w meeting EDRJ at Eagle Bridge (pic1) (pic2). I ran over to Petersburg to catch RJAY with CP 9364 leading a couple BNSF units west (pic3) (pic4). After leaving them at Hoosick Falls, I shot back to Eagle Bridge in time to catch 206 pulling in behind RJED around 3:30pm. RIght after 206 rolled by, the Batten Kill showed up with the 605 and their flanger (pic5) (pic6) (pic7). EDRJ had issues uncoupling 5 loads for the Batten Kill, and had to pull all the way down to mp450 to sort out the problem. They eventually shoved back to drop the cars at the Batten Kill, and were still there when I left around 6. There was also a set of VTR power in North Bennington awaiting an AD-1 that probably got held for RJED/206.
  by newpylong

Nice action and pictures. I miss being out there sometimes, especially summers!
  by B&M 1227

Looks like Buskirk is getting a new switch. There's a bunch of parts, a pettibone, tamper, and ties laid out for assembly and installation of a replacement switch to the siding. I'm surprised they're not just straight lining it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by B&M 1227

I heard there was a customer going there, but I don't think they could easily get the goods from the rail to a truck. There've been sets of 5 B&M/D&H/MEC MOW hoppers and gons cycling in and out to remove junk ties for the past few months. I've heard through the grapevine that the frog on the current switch is shot, so something needed to happen to raise speeds on that stretch. It's also a decent place to set out bad order stuff, and in the case of the Schaghticoke truck collision, an NS engine.
  by newpylong

Have you seen any cars for the Scoke Agway at all this season? I brought some cars to them back in the day but they were very sporadic at best.

Be nice to see Northeast Wood products come back in Pownal. I put about 8 mow hoppers in there once and we were the first use of the siding in a long time. We were wayyy into the bushes lol.
  by B&M 1227

There was one car spotted at Agway about a month ago. Not sure if it's moved since, but it's the only time I've seen a car there.

Where is that siding in Pownal? I didn't realize there was anything west of Steiner Film.
  by newpylong

That makes sense they used to get them in the spring for the farmers.

Right at the Pownal station sign (if it's even still there on the signal bungalow). MP 431 and change, right behind the Fire Department building. Orchard street?
  by B&M 1227

MOW is making progress on the new Buskirk switch. I'm not positive but the derail looks like it may have also received some work.