• Pan Am Southern / Patriot Corridor Discussion

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by jaymac

Thanks for the hedzup.
Anyone know if this is a 286K project?
  by B&M 1227

Probably the through-truss near the center of town. They've been working on it for several months now. I haven't heard/noticed of any work on the decked bridge to the west.
  by newpylong

Bennington Branch out of service. State condemned 3 bridges. All PAS interchange to BF for now.
  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:Bennington Branch out of service. State condemned 3 bridges. All PAS interchange to BF for now.
Being unfamiliar with that section of railroad what constitutes the Bennington Branch? Is it just N. Bennington to Hoosick Junction?
Do they plan on reopening the line for interchange at Hoosick in the near term?
  by johnpbarlow

B&M 1227 wrote:Probably the through-truss near the center of town. They've been working on it for several months now. I haven't heard/noticed of any work on the decked bridge to the west.
From NS Intermodal alerts of 12/17/13: Never mind!

"Hoosick Falls, NY Bridge Project Postponed

Dec 17, 2013

Please be advised that the PanAm Railroad will not perform repairs on the Hoosick Falls Bridge today. Work will resume during more favorable weather conditions.

As a result, customers will experience minimal delay in unit availability.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause our customers.
  by newpylong

The Hoosick Falls bridge work at 444 happened a couple days ago.

To your question, officially it is the VTR Hoosick Branch, but it's the line between Hoosick Junction and North Bennington, not the stub down to Bennington which is out of service past car storage by the lake. I believe they are close to re-opening the line.
  by newpylong

Someone who lives in that area has told me the bridges passed secondary inspection so no changes in operations.

Good news. That would have abolished jobs.
  by B&M 1227

That's a relief. I was worried I'd have to shell out a bit more gas to catch PAR. From the GRS email group, it sounds like most of the slurry traffic will eventually be moving over the Green Mountain with the Hoosick Branch holding onto the CSX traffic. When they redid the trackage in the 90s, I think they replaced some of the bridge abutments with concrete ones, though I don't know how much work went into the bridges themselves. Sounds like eventually the state will need to splurge on some repairs, though it may make more sense to hold out for the Ethan Allen reroute upgrades if it ever, ever, ever (3 for good measure), ever (and 1 for good luck) happens.
  by newpylong

I am CPFBK over on the GRS list, yes that is the rumor. Whether it happens, who knows.
  by B&M 1227

well that would explain a lot. i'm still struggling to figure out what that means. control point freight main _______________(bleachery/bucksport(cant be bucksport but what else has a bk?!))
  by fogg1703

B&M 1227 wrote: From the GRS email group, it sounds like most of the slurry traffic will eventually be moving over the Green Mountain with the Hoosick Branch holding onto the CSX traffic.
What kind of arrangement is the joint trackage with NECR from Northfield to Bellows Falls? Would NECR be eligible for a portion of the rate for the slurry loads( or any traffic for that matter)?
  by newpylong

fogg1703 wrote:
B&M 1227 wrote: From the GRS email group, it sounds like most of the slurry traffic will eventually be moving over the Green Mountain with the Hoosick Branch holding onto the CSX traffic.
What kind of arrangement is the joint trackage with NECR from Northfield to Bellows Falls? Would NECR be eligible for a portion of the rate for the slurry loads( or any traffic for that matter)?
NECR doesn't get squat from the B&M. Overhead rights were granted to the B&M as well as sole right to service existing B&M customers when the Conn River was taken from them in 1989.
  by newpylong

B&M 1227 wrote:well that would explain a lot. i'm still struggling to figure out what that means. control point freight main _______________(bleachery/bucksport(cant be bucksport but what else has a bk?!))
Control Point Burger King. A made up name for North Adams, MA where we would go eat while waiting on other trains.