• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by PAR381

The P&W leased 4 GP38-2's from GATX leasing. They are all ex UP and are all painted in UP Armour yellow and grey. The road numbers are 2177, 2182, 2183 and 2188. Two of the four are stored serviceable behind the Worcester engine house as of today 2/14/11. The other two have been working in the Plainfield and Willimantic area's of the P&W system.

Rich B
  by daylight4449

Stag Hound wrote:Well said MEC407.

Daylight, I admire your enthusiasm and knowledge, but you are getting to the age where you need to start appreciating railroads for what they do, not because "trains are cool." Locomotives are powerful and awe inspiring but do serve a purpose. You might want to consider picking up some books about the business side of railroads. I would recommend "The Men Who Love Trains" to start. In fact, let me give you your first lesson.

Railroads paint locomotives for two reasons:
1) Public image. United Parcel Service (UPS) washes all their vehicles on a weekly basis. Rarely do you see a filthy truck as it reflects poorly on the company. They take care of their infrastructure which says to the customer, "We'll take care of your package." The same philosophy applies to railroads.
2) Long-term investment. A locomotive is a long-term investment, just like the car you drive. The better you take care of your car, the longer it will last. You also increase your "return on investment", meaning it pays for itself and then some. Paint prolongs the life of the locomotive. Of course, it is worthless if the mechanical components are not given the same treatment. Railroads, just like you, have to make financial decisions. Which would you rather have...a car that looks awesome and goes nowhere or one that isn't pretty but gets you where you need to go? I don't think a potential girlfriend wants to sit home on your parents couch watching the latest episode of "Glee."

As I said Daylight, you remind many of us on this board of ourselves at your age. The enthusiasm is so important but it is now time to direct it towards becoming a truly well-versed railroad historian. Also, you might want to start using capitalization.
well, i guess i need to learn then...
  by Reader#108

Ok, Sorry.....GP 38s....I was told by someone who worked there that they were 40's....and I saw a blue and a red one come by. Maybe they were doing work on them....but thanks for the info! As I have said many a time, still learning this stuff....and was obviously misinformed by the employee....so, that big boy really isnt coming in? lol
  by Reader#108

Just to clarify....I went down to pick the other half up at work, I have to drive by the PW shops in Worcester...the coal train appears to have arrived....I saw one of the Pumpkin Dash 8's, GP's 2006 and 2011....the 2 UP GPs....not sure if it was the 3 PW Dash 8's or B23's....and a small BLUE switching locomtove that had GMTX written down the side....lots of action going on up there!....the switcher looked like an SW1500 or something along those lines....I only saw one of the pumpkin people though...
  by daylight4449

Reader#108 wrote:Just to clarify....I went down to pick the other half up at work, I have to drive by the PW shops in Worcester...the coal train appears to have arrived....I saw one of the Pumpkin Dash 8's, GP's 2006 and 2011....the 2 UP GPs....not sure if it was the 3 PW Dash 8's or B23's....and a small BLUE switching locomtove that had GMTX written down the side....lots of action going on up there!....the switcher looked like an SW1500 or something along those lines....I only saw one of the pumpkin people though...
not supprised. based on what my art teacher has told me (her friend works at the engine house to clean up after runs), P&W is having a power crisis. wouldn't suprise me if there was an SW1500 in worcester, as well as another geep. but the color makes it sould like one of the helm SD40s that pan am got their hands on, but heck, there could be a geep in those colors
  by boatsmate

An SW1500?? ... reports that I have seen say it is going to a quary in plainfied CT to help the P&W with switching.... they are getting a lot of stone out of there during the season.
  by frrc

boatsmate wrote:An SW1500?? ... reports that I have seen say it is going to a quary in plainfied CT to help the P&W with switching.... they are getting a lot of stone out of there during the season.
There's a fairly large trap rock operation in Groton, CT, that the P&W has been servicing for as long as I can remember. Stone from there is sent all over the north east. I recall the company is called "Soneco" ?
  by roberttosh

I believe the Groton facility is now owned by Tilcon and only receives stone. The two big quarries they serve are O&G at Plainfield and Tilcon which I believe is at Reeds gap or Wallingford.
  by PAR381

The GMTX 101 SW1500 is going to Rawson Materials in Plainfield CT as their switcher. Their facility is on the old Moosup Main north of the P&W engine house.

Rich B
  by daylight4449

geez, whats going to come through next? a C636? DDA40X
  by daylight4449

frrc wrote:
boatsmate wrote:An SW1500?? ... reports that I have seen say it is going to a quary in plainfied CT to help the P&W with switching.... they are getting a lot of stone out of there during the season.
There's a fairly large trap rock operation in Groton, CT, that the P&W has been servicing for as long as I can remember. Stone from there is sent all over the north east. I recall the company is called "Soneco" ?
ya, i've seen it when heading to danbury and RMNE. the had a springfield terminal GP switching the cars
  by daylight4449

Can i safely assume that 4005 is still in the paint shop?