• P&W Locomotive Fleet

• Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
    Official Website
Topics relating to the operation of the P&W Railroad, which is a subsidiary of Genesee and Wyoming. Regional freight railroad based in Worcester and operating in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York.
Official Website

Moderator: MEC407

by daylight4449

PAR381 wrote:Work on the 4005 is proceeding slowly as of last Friday it was still being sanded and cleaned up for paint. As usual the P&W does a very high quality job on their paint jobs...

RIch B
i have to say i agree. that paint just dosen't come off!
  by DutchRailnut

how would you know, cause it looked good from view finder ??
  by daylight4449

DutchRailnut wrote:how would you know, cause it looked good from view finder ??
i've seen the same locomotives in and around worcester for the last ten years dutch. they've been just as shiny and cared for as when i first saw my first P&W loco.
  by p&w3901

The top one (the pumpkin patch) is the 582.
  by daylight4449

any word on the ATSF unit's paint work
  by PAR381

Nothing new to report... still moving along slowly..... still being prepped

Rich B
  by daylight4449

PAR381 wrote:Nothing new to report... still moving along slowly..... still being prepped

Rich B
after almost a month, i'm starting to think this could be the cause of lazyness
  by PAR381

I would say its more to do with all the snow and the problems that go with it than anything else......... painting a loco is not a top priority... taking care of customers and
the RR's employee safety is much more important

Rich B
  by frrc

PAR381 wrote:I would say its more to do with all the snow and the problems that go with it than anything else......... painting a loco is not a top priority... taking care of customers and
the RR's employee safety is much more important

Rich B
Quality paint jobs take time, and in all paint jobs, good prep work and a good primer/foundation will allow a good paint job to last a long time. Just the process of masking off all the openings on a large scale locomotive takes more than a few days..
:)

JoeF
  by roberttosh

Didn't the PW just recently lease some engines due to being power short? New paint is nice, but you gotta service the customers first and foremost.
  by MEC407

daylight4449 wrote:after almost a month, i'm starting to think this could be the cause of lazyness
Baseless accusations such as that are why a lot of railroads hate railfans.
  by Reader#108

Bingo MEC.....bingo! And yes they leased 4 GP40's.....2 are in Union Pacific scheme....one was red and one was blue....I have recently seen the UP look-alikes, but I have not seen the other 2....I also don't know if the 2008 is back from repair...it was in a pic with an MBTA unit and NS unit at a repair facility in PA...
  by Stag Hound

Well said MEC407.

Daylight, I admire your enthusiasm and knowledge, but you are getting to the age where you need to start appreciating railroads for what they do, not because "trains are cool." Locomotives are powerful and awe inspiring but do serve a purpose. You might want to consider picking up some books about the business side of railroads. I would recommend "The Men Who Love Trains" to start. In fact, let me give you your first lesson.

Railroads paint locomotives for two reasons:
1) Public image. United Parcel Service (UPS) washes all their vehicles on a weekly basis. Rarely do you see a filthy truck as it reflects poorly on the company. They take care of their infrastructure which says to the customer, "We'll take care of your package." The same philosophy applies to railroads.
2) Long-term investment. A locomotive is a long-term investment, just like the car you drive. The better you take care of your car, the longer it will last. You also increase your "return on investment", meaning it pays for itself and then some. Paint prolongs the life of the locomotive. Of course, it is worthless if the mechanical components are not given the same treatment. Railroads, just like you, have to make financial decisions. Which would you rather have...a car that looks awesome and goes nowhere or one that isn't pretty but gets you where you need to go? I don't think a potential girlfriend wants to sit home on your parents couch watching the latest episode of "Glee."

As I said Daylight, you remind many of us on this board of ourselves at your age. The enthusiasm is so important but it is now time to direct it towards becoming a truly well-versed railroad historian. Also, you might want to start using capitalization.
  by jaymac

D-2 gave 582 -- presumably on PWBO -- a Form D on the Northern noonish on 02-14-2011. Rolling wheels may gather no paint, but they do gather cash flow.