• Odd announcement on-board a Montauk train

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

I was on a train leaving Montauk late Friday night (8/19) when the conductor came on the PA saying "Attention to the crew, the cow is in the barn. Repeat, the cow is in the barn, please make your way to the head car."

Has anyone else heard something like this before? In my 4 years riding the LIRR I have heard some strange PA announcements, but this was a new one.

by Fla East Coast Chris

One or two things.
Bad weather is coming or A New tower operator is on duty in Patchogue???

P623 over the beautiful New River East side looking good/markers bright..

by LIRRNOVA55

hmmn. . Moo Moo.
Break out the QuackQuack tape and Bailing Wire!!
We a gonna ride this one out MOO!!
Dont forget to break out the MUU-MUU's!!!!!!

by Long Island 7285

MOO MOO!!!!!!
lets keep this one real,

good replies Chris.

is'nt the engine house also refered to as the "barn"?

by Long Island 9627

MOO MOO!!!!!!
:-D

by NIMBYkiller

MOO MOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMFAO

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Hey Chris.....HAMMER TIME!!! :wink:

by Dave Keller

Oh No . . . . . .

It's Muu Muu time again!!! :wink:

Dave Keller

P.S. Barn = enginehouse? Perhaps, only there are no more engine houses out on the island, so in reference to that it would make no sense.

P.P.S. As a point of trivia: the old trolleys used to be stored and serviced at car houses also called car barns.

P.P.P.S. All this cow talk is making me hungry for a nice, grilled London broil! :-D DK

by badneighbor

maybe it was 'lunch is here'

by SeldenJrFireman

Since it was a friday night, I am going to say it means "Our paychecks have been deposited in the bank"

by tushykushy

That's so funny you mention that.

I could have sworn South Park characters were talking too that night. I was on the same train.

by Lirr168

tushykushy wrote:I could have sworn South Park characters were talking too that night. I was on the same train.
lol, i know exctly what you mean; it was quite the interesting ride. i can't believe you were on that same train...talk about a small world.

by Fla East Coast Chris

All The cows are in the Barn!!!!!
South Florida gets hit with Katrina!!!
Hollandale Beach and Miami Beach is where it landed.
FEC service suspended as well as CSX, TRi Rail and Amtrak.
My Place in Pompano is alright(thank heavens) Almost no power in Pompano Beach. ***
I know this has nothing to do with RR.net but just my 2 cents on what I just heard.
Chris from PD TOwer

by M1 9147

And lots of unexpected dancers outside of the country like in Aruba, LOL.

by n2qhvRMLI

Forum Members,

I'll try to get a definitive answer Friday night. But from the sounds of it, dinner (hamburgers) had been picked up and brought aboard by one of the crew who ran up town before departure. Come on back and get it while it's hot! Whatever happened to getting some beans????

de Don, n2qhvRMLI