• NYC in the Hudson Valley - POSTER

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by march hare

Two items I see:

1) Amsterdam, and the tracks through it, should be shown on the Mohawk River. Overall geometry of the Mohawk in the Capital District needs some tweaking, too. It doesn't go straight east into the Hudson.

2 I don't think NYC or PC ever had trackage rights on the D&H from Voorheesville into Kenwood. They did (and do) have trackage rights on D&H/CP from Kenwood north, through Albany, to reach the Bull Run Connector up to the passenger main.
  by march hare

Line from Rensselaer to Troy should be right on the river as well.

Gardiner Cross

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for the corrections, I will be sure to incorporate them.

-otto-
  by russp

Otto:
Regarding the Putnam Division: extend the Mahopac Falls line a little further north to Mahopac Mines, add in the High Bridge to 155th St segment in northern Manhattan, add in the 2 former lines between East View and Briarcliff Manor v. Pocantico Hills. If you want geographic accuracy, move Graham north to your present Briarcliff Manor (Graham was only a mile SW from Pleasantville), move B. Manor to the present Millwood, and slide Millwood north towards Kitchawan (so it is north of Chappaqua on the Harlem Div.). This is a good effort!

by Otto Vondrak

I can't add 155th Street terminal to the Putnam Division because the New York Central didn't operate it... I'm trying to limit the map to lines only operated by NYC.

-otto-

by Dieter

Nicely done, but if you're looking for suggestions....

You've got the line west from Kingston to Oneonta labled as the "Catskill Mountain Branch". I would change that to "Ulster & Delaware" and I would take that red line a bit farther to Phoenicia. You might even be able to sell them at the museum there.

I'd add the year, and since you went into the bio on the right side, you might consider adding beneath the Oval, the Modern Oval of '58, and the "Cigar Band". If you dropped the history, or carried the history only as far as an indicated year for the map, then, only the appropriate Oval.

It's nice to finally see Lincolndale on something!

You might do a separate run of NYC in '68 with the "Cigar Band" logo. If at the register, that's the one I would pick.

One way or the other, it's a wonderful job!

Dieter.

by Otto Vondrak

Okay, I let you all down and didnt get the poster finished for Christmas. But... I'm still working on it, and it will be ready soon.

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

I am now considering redrawing the entire map becuase I keep finding more an more errors that bother me too much. My capital district is gross. My trackage around Weehawken and Jersey City is probably not accurate. I'm open to comments, but I'm not beyond scrapping and starting over.

-otto-

by maddog5150

Otto... can you make the link active so I can see what your map looks like? The links on page one are not active anymore.

by Otto Vondrak

THIS IS A BRAND-NEW DRAWING:

http://www.tsny.com/otto/nyc-hv.jpg

The other links in this thread are no longer active. This drawing is based on all new sources, and is more geographically accurate. I think the line placement is more accurate too. I considered adding in the former narrow guage line up to Hunter from the Catskill Mountain Branch, but the jury is still out on that one. So once again, I solicit your comments, suggestions, and corrections. I want to launch this poster for sale at the RAIROAD.NET store by the end of April.

Thanks again everyone who contributed, took the time to write me, etc.

-otto-

by Noel Weaver

Otto, Unionville exists even today between Feura Bush and New Scotland.
You need to show the original West Shore route between Ravena and
Unionville through South Bethlehem.
I will review it further as time permits.
Noel Weaver

by LCJ

Noel Weaver wrote:You need to show the original West Shore route between Ravena and Unionville through South Bethlehem.
If the map (as it seems to be) is configured for post Castleton cut-off (CCO) construction, then the portion of the West Shore only between Feura Bush/Unionville and So. Betlehem might be appropriate to include. That segment of it served Callanan's up into the early '70s, but it was only a 3-mile stub-ended quarry track to haul in stone to build 2nd Selkirk (filling the swamps). I would leave it out, if it were my project. (I know, it isn't.)

Ravena to So. Bethlehem was abandoned after 1st Selkirk/CCO was built, I'm fairly certain -- as was the original path of the West Shore's Albany Branch between Ravena and Selkirk.

There are plenty of other locations along the routes that are omitted, too. They don't all have to be there. The legend correctly says "Most Lines...Some Omitted."

I think the map is great, Otto.

The only very minor change I might recommend is to move the dot for Selkirk (assuming it means Selkirk station) over to the Albany Branch where it actually stood. You could then label the yard area as "Selkirk Yard."

by Otto Vondrak

Thanks for the notes... and the kind words.

Do I have the divisions named correctly and color coded correctly?

-otto-

by kinlock

Very good. Nothing to add except small points.

Catskill Mountain Branch should have an arrow at end to indicate it doesn't stop at Roxbury.

On the Troy & Schenectady, the Hudson River crossing (Green Island Bridge) is "trackage rights" not Mohawk Div. Reference: http://www.rosshorwood.com/RailSiteLink ... reenIsland

Checked some old employee timetables. I see where Mohawk Div went from Post Road (B&A) across river to Selkirk, but was the rest of the "Hudson River Connecting Railroad" (connection down to almost Stuyvesant) in Hudson Div or Mohawk Div?

by LCJ

Wow -- I missed those things.

I believe both B&A and Hudson Div started at SM (east end of Castleton Bridge).

Also, the Albany Branch between SK tower and Kenwood Jct was always River Div. territory so technically it should be red, Otto.

And while we're on it, the line between Kenwood Jct and Albany Depot had always been D&H RR on which River Div had trackage rights.