• NY High Speed Rail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Matt Johnson

Well, given that the Turboliners probably aren't coming back, are there enough dual mode diesels available to cover this proposed express train? I'm sure they could find a few Amfleet coaches for the service.
Chafford1 wrote:What is stopping these trains being used? Surely some use could be made of the carriages even if the power cars aren't used.
I wondered about that possibility myself. I don't know how much it would cost to convert the turbo cars into push pull sets, with the power cars converted to cab control units. But I guess it's not considered worthwhile. (Personally, I think that given what was spent on the rebuild, they should find any way they can to use them.)

I remember that when I took the RTL III to Albany, it was sitting in Penn Station for a while. I think it just remained in the station after its morning run, until it left for the afternoon trip back up to Albany/Rensselaer. Being able to reverse direction with a cab on both ends must be an operational advantage over the P32AC hauled trains.
  by Matt Johnson

Well, we're already a couple of weeks into fall now, so I guess you can add this to the growing list of failures/false promises...

Draft State Rail Released

On June 13, NYSDOT released the draft state rail plan, which has been in development since December 2007. ... The draft plan does specifically reference the start of a new, state-funded, Albany to New York express train in the fall of 2008.
  by PullmanCo

This fall? :-D