• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by shlustig

#22 eastbound Texas Eagle serves as the 3rd AM departure STL to CHI.

#22 (11th) dropped 7' 00" from ELP to SAS and was about 8'00" late dpg SAS on the 12th, arriving about the same at STL on the 13th.

#322 (13th) (STL / CHI service on #22) shows as "Cancelled".

Given that there was 24' advance notice of the situation, isn't there any equipment that Amtrak could have taken to STL to cover #322 (13th)?
  by JLJ061

I was at CUS yesterday when I saw on the train board that the EB California Zephyr was running over 10 hours late, with an anticipated arrival of 11:30 pm. After checking with DixieLandSoftware, I saw the train lost an additional 6 hours on top of the 3 1/2 hours it was already late between McCook and Holdrege, NE.

Any insight as to what happened?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Must say Mr. JL, #6(14) was 'operating under the influence of Murphy's Law; it arrived CUS at 535A. Today I was taking an early morning walk and observed it passing 18.32 at about 515A or well over 14hr late. Further review of Train Status showed a 'more or less' OT arrival at DEN, but it was held six hours there.

There was extreme weather all throughout the Plains yesterday; around here a Tornado Watch (and unbeknownst to me, I was out walking under those conditions) was lifted at about 6A.

If the delays were solely attributable to those weather conditions, then Amtrak and BNSF can surely be forgiven.

But oh well, trust the folk occupying 'Cimarron River' a Frisco liveried PV on the rear, enjoyed their ride on 'CBQ 12, Mail & Express'.
  by ExCon90

I think the general feeling is that the longer a trip takes on a private car, the better. It also brings down the per-hour cost significantly. I think if I owned a private car I might name it the Robert Louis Stevenson.
  by twropr

Today, #64 left Niagara Falls only 7" LT but was three hrs late arriving Amsterdam. From what I heard on the Mohawk radio feed, he held over half an hour at Amsterdam so that he could receive a relief crew member from Albany-Rensselaer.

Andy
  by David Benton

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Must say Mr. JL, #6(14) was 'operating under the influence of Murphy's Law; it arrived CUS at 535A. Today I was taking an early morning walk and observed it passing 18.32 at about 515A or well over 14hr late. Further review of Train Status showed a 'more or less' OT arrival at DEN, but it was held six hours there.

There was extreme weather all throughout the Plains yesterday; around here a Tornado Watch (and unbeknownst to me, I was out walking under those conditions) was lifted at about 6A.

If the delays were solely attributable to those weather conditions, then Amtrak and BNSF can surely be forgiven.

But oh well, trust the folk occupying 'Cimarron River' a Frisco liveried PV on the rear, enjoyed their ride on 'CBQ 12, Mail & Express'.
Here is a version of what happened from a poster on Fred Frailey's blog . http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/fred-frailey ... tburn.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Then just yesterday, CZ was early into Denver from SF. It was held there for five hours, awaiting the arrival of the westbound CZ because there is a turnaround sleeper Chicago Denver, and the Denver boarding passengers had no place to occupy until the westbound arrived----18 hours???late.

Train didn't quite make it to McCook before the union crew rules ran out. So they parked it out of town in a corn field, but wouldn't let the coach passengers off to smoke. A small riot occured; police were called.

Final arrival in Chicago about 4:15 am."
Going by Mr Norman's observation, He is over an hour early on his Chicago arrival time , so who knows how accurate the rest of the story is.
  by Mackensen

30(17) and 48(17) seem to have encountered major problems between Chicago and South Bend (pasting from Status Maps):

30:
* CHI * * 1 640P * 822P Departed: 1 hour and 42 minutes late.
* SOB * * 1 909P * 211A Departed: 5 hours and 2 minutes late.

48:
* CHI * * 1 930P * 948P Departed: 18 minutes late.
* SOB * * 1 1159P * 219A Departed: 2 hours and 20 minutes late.

What happened?
  by ohioriverrailway

Mackensen wrote:30(17) and 48(17) seem to have encountered major problems between Chicago and South Bend (pasting from Status Maps):

30:
* CHI * * 1 640P * 822P Departed: 1 hour and 42 minutes late.
* SOB * * 1 909P * 211A Departed: 5 hours and 2 minutes late.

What happened?
As of 8AM - Eastern, its running 8:30 late!
  by Mackensen

shlustig wrote:#30 Dp. CLE 9' 37" late at 11:30AM..

Amtrak ETA @ WAS is 8' 05" late.

Any bets?
Word is the NS is in total meltdown between Chicago and Cleveland. We'll see how 29(18) makes out.
  by ohioriverrailway

#30-17th was 11:05 late into DC
#30-18th is more than 5:30 late as of this post - has't made it to Pittsburgh -- so much for transferring pax to 42 -- again!!
  by ThirdRail7

They are all in a Chi-town "death cycle."
David Benton wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Must say Mr. JL, #6(14) was 'operating under the influence of Murphy's Law; it arrived CUS at 535A. Today I was taking an early morning walk and observed it passing 18.32 at about 515A or well over 14hr late. Further review of Train Status showed a 'more or less' OT arrival at DEN, but it was held six hours there.

Here is a version of what happened from a poster on Fred Frailey's blog . http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/fred-frailey ... tburn.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Then just yesterday, CZ was early into Denver from SF. It was held there for five hours, awaiting the arrival of the westbound CZ because there is a turnaround sleeper Chicago Denver, and the Denver boarding passengers had no place to occupy until the westbound arrived----18 hours???late.

Train didn't quite make it to McCook before the union crew rules ran out. So they parked it out of town in a corn field, but wouldn't let the coach passengers off to smoke. A small riot occured; police were called.

Final arrival in Chicago about 4:15 am."
Going by Mr Norman's observation, He is over an hour early on his Chicago arrival time , so who knows how accurate the rest of the story is.
They were held because there was no place else to go. The tracks were completely closed due to large amount of grain being spilled over the tracks. Then, the usual crew issues for Amtrak and the host railroads occurred as trains were stranded everywhere. I'm never heard anything abut riots and of course we all know it isn't "union crew rules" but federal hours of service laws.

That's another area that was trapped in a death cycle but I believe they truncated a train or two to attempt a catch up.
  by BM6569

twropr wrote:Today, #64 left Niagara Falls only 7" LT but was three hrs late arriving Amsterdam. From what I heard on the Mohawk radio feed, he held over half an hour at Amsterdam so that he could receive a relief crew member from Albany-Rensselaer.

Andy
Yeah, it was cool, 49 had to drop the relief conductor off at Amsterdam, an unscheduled stop for that train. Would be neat if someone had video of it leaving the station.