• Noticed/Questioned Major Delays, Annulments, Reroutes

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by EricL

transit man wrote:According to the Amtrak web site, there was no westbound train 5 departure from Chicago yesterday (5/18) and as of this moment (1820 CDT) no departure today. No information is shown on the Service Alerts and Notices page. Any ideas?
Must be a mistake/glitch. 5(18) departed CUS 16ml, 5(19) departed on time.
  by ThirdRail7

There are numerous service/track advisories on the Amtrak website with more to come as the summer track work season gets underway.

Additionally, 50(24) operates CHI-IND only.
  by srock1028

Looks like A86 (28) is down west of Metropark and transferring passengers to A184 (28). Rescue motor heading west through Elizabeth as I type this.
  by ohioriverrailway

Any thoughts on #29 (28th) -- an hour and change late out of DC then lost another hour between there and Rockville??
  by ohioriverrailway

Then #30 (28th) got delayed by water over the track in south-central PA, arriving in DC about 6 hours late. Would love to hear some stories from the crew/riders.
  by ohioriverrailway

29 and 30 both delayed by a CSX derailment just east of McKeesport late on 6/7. Double track in that area, and from the news coverage it looks like the cars picked a switch point and headed away from the normal westbound track.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/06/ ... ckeesport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by transit man

Looks like #6 (EMY 6/6) is struggling to reach Chicago. Presently it's 7.5 hours late coming across Iowa although it apparently left EMY 2.o hours late on Friday. Any info as to the delay?
  by ACeInTheHole

ohioriverrailway wrote:29 and 30 both delayed by a CSX derailment just east of McKeesport late on 6/7. Double track in that area, and from the news coverage it looks like the cars picked a switch point and headed away from the normal westbound track.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/06/ ... ckeesport/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I saw a direct photo, looks like a switch point pick, and they got lucky they didnt have to go fishing for two steel coil cars
  by Mackensen

29(8) seems to have had a time of it: lost an hour between Connellsville and Pittsburgh, two hours between South Bend and Chicago, now expected in to Chicago 5 hours 40 minutes late. Looks like they're holding 7(9) for it. Anything in particular happen here?
  by Gilbert B Norman

#5(9), California Zephyr, was 'late out of the gate' bigtime yesterday (71ML says Train Status); #3(9), Chief, had a 'slow start (11ML).

Yesterday, I was driving home and at 18.32 down go the gates (I really was not in a railfan's state of mind) and here comes #5(9); then I'm almost home, but pulled over (18.7) to talk with a friend (her Beagle was barely moving; I offered them a ride home) but here comes #3(9) chasing #5's markers.

A look at Train Status this morning shows #3 'holding its own', but 'Murphy's Law' has taken on #5 and is winning.

Anyone?
  by hi55us

shlustig wrote:#48 (9) Dp. CHI 1' 50" late; Dp. CLE 3'00" Late.

Amtrak says ETA @ NYP 1' 22" Late.

Any Bets?????
Amtrak.com always lies about on time performance before a train makes the stop. I've been on a northeast corridor train that's 1 hour late and displays "on time" for the station I'm getting off at.
  by ThirdRail7

transit man wrote:Looks like #6 (EMY 6/6) is struggling to reach Chicago. Presently it's 7.5 hours late coming across Iowa although it apparently left EMY 2.o hours late on Friday. Any info as to the delay?
It left late due to a late turn off 5. Eventually, it was trapped behind a failed freight which led to traffic jams, the need for new crews and the show pretty much fell apart from there.
hi55us wrote:
shlustig wrote:#48 (9) Dp. CHI 1' 50" late; Dp. CLE 3'00" Late.

Amtrak says ETA @ NYP 1' 22" Late.

Any Bets?????
Amtrak.com always lies about on time performance before a train makes the stop. I've been on a northeast corridor train that's 1 hour late and displays "on time" for the station I'm getting off at.
Amtrak.com and the phone based status uses the "pure" running time as a basis for establishing the ETAs and ETDs. The times are achievable if the train can establish "pure" running times. The problem as you and I know, is they usually can't.

Anyway, I was going to bet 2'30" down on the arrival. Its a good thing I didn't.
  by fl9m2004

What's up with 55 southbound Vermonter
Amtrak.com train tracker says no status
And the dixieland tracker says stops canncelled to Amherst