• Notable differences in M-series and a Metro-North question

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by benltrain

what are noticable differances of m1/3s?
and what are any differences between:
LIRR M7s and MNRR M7as?
DE/DM locos

and off topic... MNRRS m2/4/6

any noticable differences, and subtle ones too. thanks.

by benltrain

what?

anyway... i keep hearing these things about M1/3 windows being a variant. what's different?

read my first post too

benltrain

by DutchRailnut

The difference between MNCR M7a and LIRR M7's has been described on this forum several times, no need to keep typing this out every time.

by benltrain

DutchRailnut wrote:The difference between MNCR M7a and LIRR M7's has been described on this forum several times, no need to keep typing this out every time.
i apologize, but i am relatively new and don't really know how to search for thost differences. i am sure that they have been mentioned before, but please be kind as to reiterate them.

by Long Island 7285

I know this has been posted else where on RAILROAD.NET but this guy is new have some respect. just post a general discription w/o getting into details.

what's with this attitude. he' not asking anything wrong or being a prick.

As for the M1/M3
*general Visual discription*
M1s most have cab windows that open/close vertically and no air intake vents in the passenger compartment windows.

M3s all have cab windows that open/close horizontally (East/West) and have black air intake vents in the passenger compartment windows.

DE30ac All numbered within the "400" series. none haveing 3rd rail shoes

DM30ac All numbered within the "500" series . All haveing 3rd rail contact shoes on the front and rear trucks. (mostly used on/for one seat rides into/out of NYP from diesel Territory)

LIRR M7 Has number boards
MNCR M7 has number decals under windows (center of car)

benltrain, does that help at all?
Frank, fill in on the M7 detail>> your time to shine.
:wink:

by benltrain

it does help, thank you. however, my goal of being able to distinguish these cars using easy clues won't be met :(.

car #s always work, but i as hoping to be able to look at a photo and say "that's a ___"

any info on the m2/4/6, or should i exile to the MNR forum?

by Long Island 7285

Browse only on the MN board you’ll get eaten alive if you post that. As for LIRR MU car numbers
M7 is any thing within the 7xxx Range IE. 7001-7620 and rising.
DE/Ms I gave you numbers.
C3Cabs are 50xx series IE. 5001,5016,5020...
M1s 9001ret- 97?? (retired in random order as per 3yr brake test &/ Damage)
M3s 97xx-99xx
MNCR M7s are in the 4xxx series.

by benltrain

Long Island 7285 wrote:Browse only on the MN board you’ll get eaten alive if you post that.
i guess "exile" was not the right word, or was it my lack of m2/4/6 knowledge?

thanks to all. this thread will likely be locked (as many of mine do)

*cough* :wink:

by Long Island 7285

you aint the only one that get locked or removd threads :wink:

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:Frank, fill in on the M7 detail>> your time to shine.
:wink:
Thank you.

The M7s have a somewhat more angular appearance than the M1/3s. They are black with a yellow stripe in the front. They have large rectangular windows, large single leaf doors, and brighter marker lights than the M1/3s. Hope that helps. :-)

by MACTRAXX

Guys: LIRR M1s 9001-9770. built between 1968-1972. More than 500 of these cars have been retired. M3s 9771-9946 with 9795-96(Retired;believed scrapped) and 9891-92(Re-#ed 9945-46) numbers deleted-built 1985-86. Some LIRR M3s still have the budd new date stenciled on the handbrake housing between the married pairs. Metro north M3s I believe are 8000-8134. which came BEFORE the LIRR cars in 1984-85. Metro North M1s: 8200-8378 - does anyone know if MNCR is retiring them? M7s: LIRR: As mentioned above in 7000 series with MNCR in 4000 series. Differences in the M7s I recall in my mind are: LIRR Car: Black and yellow front end with front # above front door,lighted # signs above engineers window-the MNCR car has just decal #s in same location. The LIRR car has sideswipe panels at the ends and center that the MNCR does not have. The MNCR car has a blue front end with white zebra stripes with no front #. The LIRR and MNCR M7s have the EXACT OPPOSITE seating arrangement from one another-the MNCR car has seats with cushion seatbacks and strobe light warning flashers inside at the doors which the LIRR car does not have. For the MNCR M2/4/6 I can mention this: M2s: 8400s(MTA) 8500s(CDOT) Original 144 car order; 8700s(MTA) and 8800s(CDOT) add-on 100 car order 1972-74 I believe were the dates. M4s: triplet 1985-86 8900 series M6s: triplet 9000 series 1992-93 I believe. Hope this info helps - MACTRAXX

by Otto Vondrak

benltrain just wants others to do his work and research for him. It's nothing personal 7285, no one's out to get you or him, but sometimes you have to take the advice of other users of this board and try the search functions before you post. And lastly, we have a Metro-North forum for Metro-North questions.

by benltrain

benltrain wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:The difference between MNCR M7a and LIRR M7's has been described on this forum several times, no need to keep typing this out every time.
i apologize, but i am relatively new and don't really know how to search for thost differences. i am sure that they have been mentioned before, but please be kind as to reiterate them.
while this may not be understandable, i am not bery good with search engines, and would have never picked up those differences. i was just trying to find out if there wer any noticable differences

by Noel Weaver

To those of you who are new or keep asking the same questions, "Dutch"
has a very valid point here. I have answered a lot of questions both here
and elsewhere on Railroad Net but I also get very tired of answering the
same questions month after month. Try searching back until you find
something and most of the time, you should find what you are looking for.
My fingers get tired from typing too and I can type fairly well. Sometimes
it is not easy digging out old timetables, books, papers or whatever to
try to give a decent answer to some of the questions that are asked here
or elsewhere.
Search before you ask. Don't get bent out of shape if someone comes
back at you when you did not do the search.
Have a nice day.
Noel Weaver