• Notable differences in M-series and a Metro-North question

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Nasadowsk

Why not have an FAQ for each forum so new users can just look THERE to see if their questions are answered?

by Long Island 7285

I agree with this. Maybe a stick can be created in LIRR and MN forums, others also,
STICKY: LIRR Fact,Q&A
and list some basic info, all of which is posted by the moderator and is then locked if some one wants to correct or add it is done via a moderator to keep the thread neat. It may also help in new users to use the search.

Otto, and others, what's your take on this fine idea?

by Noel Weaver

Long Island 7285 wrote:I agree with this. Maybe a stick can be created in LIRR and MN forums, others also,
STICKY: LIRR Fact,Q&A
and list some basic info, all of which is posted by the moderator and is then locked if some one wants to correct or add it is done via a moderator to keep the thread neat. It may also help in new users to use the search.

Otto, and others, what's your take on this fine idea?
I suspect that this would be a big undertaking and probably Otto and the
moderators as well have enough other things to do to try to take on this
one.
Maybe this is a good job for YOU to tackle.
Noel Weaver

by Long Island 7285

Ill play around with the search function when I have time and comprise a list of basic or general diffences of equipment make the list in word then send it to a mod for posting in sticky format, unless i can post a sticky, which at one time I beleive users were able to.

by MACTRAXX

7285,Nasadowsk and Noel: Good ideas guys! A basic info area like described is a good idea. Use my post earlier in this topic as a start...MACTRAXX

by Long Island 7285

Will do,

If any one has any information to give me in a PM and or woun't mind typing it for a last time. in a PM to me; along with the search past posts It will allow me comprise the list faster
~7285~

by Otto Vondrak

It's my opinion that if someone is too lazy to use the search function (or a search engine of any type), then a FAQ won't be much better. If you want to create a FAQ thread, then ask the moderators of this forum about it and see what they want to do.

-otto-

by benltrain

Otto Vondrak wrote:It's my opinion that if someone is too lazy to use the search function (or a search engine of any type), then a FAQ won't be much better. If you want to create a FAQ thread, then ask the moderators of this forum about it and see what they want to do.

-otto-
why is having trouble with using the search engine deserve a "lazy" tag?
  by davelirrider

Might I add something to all of this:

How come you guys all have to be so nasty sometimes? I don't post here often, but I do read the board frequently, so I guess ya could call me a "regular"... but I just don't usually have much to say.

However, on that note - if you don't want to answer someone's question, can't you just say nicely that they should refer to the search? Either that, or just don't say anything at all, and leave it up to those who don't mind re-answering something....

I just don't see how chewing people out because they're new, and ask something that's been answered previously is going to help anyone... to me, it just sounds like a bunch of grouches.

If ya don't want people to be free to ask questions, (Which I thought this was - an open discussion board) then ya might as well limit access to only "certain people" who the moderators give usernames and passwords to.

Don't scare off people because ya don't want to answer something. How would you like it if you went to buy something at the store, asked a question to a sales associate, and his answer was "I JUST EXPLAINED THAT TO THE LAST GUY - GO LOOK IT UP YOURSELF!". Would you continue to shop in that store? I doubt it.

Understood? Lets act our age, not like babies.