• North Brunswick Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by bleet

Here's a website with more info about the proposed development.

http://www.ourtowncenter.info

Obviously this was done before talk of a loop so I have no idea how you'd wedge that in unless you acquire some of the adjoining property south of the site which appears on maps to be mostly open space.
  by 25Hz

Tom V wrote:Would the loop track have any benefit to the proposed Monmouth Jct. route of the MOM line?

That area is 7 miles or so west of the proposed loop.
  by michaelk

25Hz wrote:
Tom V wrote:Would the loop track have any benefit to the proposed Monmouth Jct. route of the MOM line?

That area is 7 miles or so west of the proposed loop.
and what does that have to do with the price of tea in china?
  by Tom V

I'm familiar with it's location relative to Midway jct, what I was asking was would this "loop" make the proposed tunnels for MOM obsolete. As part of the Monmouth Jct. routing of the MOM line the proposal is for the MOM trains to access the Monmouth Jct alignment via tunnels from the West bound NEC tracks, similar to how NJCL trains access the Coast Line from the West Bound NEC tracks. I was thinking that MOM trains heading West Bound on the NEC could access the the Monmouth Jct MOM line by crossing from the West Bound NEC tracks to a fifth track on the East side of the NEC via this "loop" (but not looping all the way around) which would run from the new North Brunswick station to the Monmouth Jct line.
  by 25Hz

Tom V wrote:I'm familiar with it's location relative to Midway jct, what I was asking was would this "loop" make the proposed tunnels for MOM obsolete. As part of the Monmouth Jct. routing of the MOM line the proposal is for the MOM trains to access the Monmouth Jct alignment via tunnels from the West bound NEC tracks, similar to how NJCL trains access the Coast Line from the West Bound NEC tracks. I was thinking that MOM trains heading West Bound on the NEC could access the the Monmouth Jct MOM line by crossing from the West Bound NEC tracks to a fifth track on the East side of the NEC via this "loop" (but not looping all the way around) which would run from the new North Brunswick station to the Monmouth Jct line.
Currently some of the new brunswick and jersey ave runs deadhead to trenton or morrisville. The loop would connect track 4 to a station siding and then up over all 4 main tracks down and back to track 1. This would not have any impact on proposed underpasses at the site of the monmouth junction wye.

What it might impact, is if this MOM was ever actually put into service, is looped trains would not go down that way and therefor would not travel over that proposed line via the underpasses. But the good thing is, that the loop would free up that train's slot west of there, so you could have one follow the other till the loop, one get on the loop track and one head to the MOM underpass connection. That''s all hypothetical of course as neither of these are paid for and MOM currently sits about dead last on NJT's priorities for new routes.
  by michaelk

25Hz wrote:Someone asked a question and i answered....?

Someone asked a question and rather than answer ityou just threw out information that was irrelevant. I'm not as up on things as many (most) people here but there are certainly interlockings some place that have effects 7 miles or more down the line. Not sure that the fact there's 7 miles means anything- if it does you didn't explain why.

anyway...

it's in interesting question if this could be helpful for MOM.

Does anyone have a link to the plans showing the proposed loop? Since they already will be building a bridge (or tunnel?) in North Brunswick for a loop it's POSSIBLE they could build it in such a way as to negate or minimize the need for a tunnel(or bridge?) 7 miles down the line. As an example if you could build it in such a way as to alsot be able to get trains in the same direction from track 4 to track 1 and farther to a new "track A" (assuming same numbering as newark penn?)- perhaps adding "track A" along the ROW to the MOM connection might be cheaper than building a new bridge/tunnel structure for MOM. Honestly I dont know costs- but seems it's at least possible under some instances that adding a 5th track for 7 miles would be cheaper than building another bridge/tunnel to cross the corridor. If you could even get trains from 4 over to 1 in the same direction it might even be possible to go the "wrong way" on track 1 since it's "only 7 miles" (seems it's about 1.5 miles from hunter to newark penn and they do that for many of the RVL trains every single day.)

Would be interesting to see the plans anyway- just to see where they plan to put it.
Using google maps to measure the Bay Head loop, looks like it's about 1250 feet. To see what that looks like on the property in question Looking at google maps- measuring from the access road at the far side of the lot at the yard to road behind the warehouses on the west side is only about 1000 feet. That's a pretty big chunk of land needed. (which conversely makes it all that much harder to make my idea above work- laughing)
Last edited by michaelk on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by 25Hz

michaelk wrote:

Someone asked a question and rather than answer you just threw out information that was irrelevant. I'm not as up on things as many (most) people here but there are certainly interlockings that throughout the railroad that have effects 7 miles or more down the line. The distance means nothing.

Uh, how would a switch 7 miles away affect the construction of an underpass..? The 2 areas have nothing to do with each other.
  by michaelk

25Hz wrote:
michaelk wrote:

Someone asked a question and rather than answer you just threw out information that was irrelevant. I'm not as up on things as many (most) people here but there are certainly interlockings that throughout the railroad that have effects 7 miles or more down the line. The distance means nothing.

Uh, how would a switch 7 miles away affect the construction of an underpass..? The 2 areas have nothing to do with each other.
I edited my post above in the mean time- i gave an example (albeit not the most likely but i'm not involved). Someone who actually works for a railroad MIGHT have a real world example.
  by 25Hz

michaelk wrote:
25Hz wrote:
michaelk wrote:

I edited my post above in the mean time- i gave an example (albeit not the most likely but i'm not involved). Someone who actually works for a railroad MIGHT have a real world example.

by michaelk

Someone was kind enough to post a link to http://www.nec-commission.com/interacti ... ture-needs and he has the below blurb about the project. Sounds almost like 2 different things the flyover AND the loop?

I was kind of figuring they would at least build some of the loop over the NEC so as to minimize space required but sounds like maybe not....

"NJ TRANSIT and Amtrak hope to construct a grade-separated flyover that would carry NJ TRANSIT trains up and over the NEC main line, along with a new “loop” track that would connect the yard to the flyover and serve a new commuter station for North Brunswick. "
  by Thomas

1. Is that new station and flyover south of Jersey Avenue going to include a new train yard?

2. Also, is any of that new infrastructure being paid for by the Hurricane Sandy Relief Bill?
  by ThirdRail7

Thomas wrote:1. Is that new station and flyover south of Jersey Avenue going to include a new train yard?

2. Also, is any of that new infrastructure being paid for by the Hurricane Sandy Relief Bill?
That sort of information is discussed in the "Mid Line" Loop and Station Proposed for North Brunswick thread.

Can a mod merge this?
  by OportRailfan

^^^Should be merged

The way I understand it, County yard is going to be expanded. They could possibly expand Adams if they wanted to, as well.