Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by ThirdRail7

In anticipation of the football service start up, Metro North, Amtrak and NJT are running test/qualification trains between STM-NYP. Practice makes perfect!

PS: This is not meant to start a debate about the service. I'm merely posting the information for those members that would like to photograph/video the moves.
  by RearOfSignal

These aren't test train they're qualifying trains. Believe there were several of these trains running over the weekend.
  by DutchRailnut

Amtral/NJT require one trip every 6 months to keep qualified over hellgate
  by Clean Cab

I enjoyed running those trains. It was an interesting change of pace.
  by Otto Vondrak

ThirdRail7 wrote:In anticipation of the football service start up, Metro North, Amtrak and NJT are running test/qualification trains between STM-NYP. Practice makes perfect

I rolled up to Port Chester randomly this afternoon around 1300 just in time to see a bunch of NJT coaches roll through being pushed by an ALP46!

-otto-
  by Jeff Smith

I can't believe how poorly linked this is on the web-site; took some searching.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/MeadowlandsBrochure.pdf

QUOTE:

Once again, Metro-North customers can purchase one ticket for travel to the Meadowlands Sports Complex (connecting at the Frank R. Lautenberg Secaucus
Junction Station) for Giants and Jets home games and other events.

• Beginning September 9, 2012, Metro-North will provide direct service from major New Haven Line stations to the Meadowlands (connecting at Secaucus Junction). See our direct service timetables for details.
• In addition, our regularly scheduled service will bring you to Grand Central Terminal, where you’ll be able to make one quick subway transfer to connect to trains from Penn Station-NY to the Meadowlands. Schedules are available on our home page at www.mta.info.

DIRECT NEW HAVEN LINE SERVICE
via Secaucus Junction
New Haven Line Customers: From major stations, a New Haven Line train will provide direct throughservice (one-seat ride) to NJ TRANSIT’s Secaucus Junction (via Penn Station-NY) for all Sunday, 1 PM kickoff home games. From Secaucus Junction, it’s an easy transfer to the Meadowlands Rail Line for an express ride to the Meadowlands
Sports Complex Station.

NON-DIRECT SERVICE ON HUDSON, HARLEM & NEW HAVEN LINES
Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven Line Customers:
Take Metro-North to Grand Central Terminal, ride the subway to Penn Station-NY, then transfer to a NJ TRANSIT train to the Meadowlands Sports Complex Station (connecting at Secaucus Junction).

PASCACK VALLEY & PORT JERVIS LINES
Rockland, Orange, and Westchester County Customers: You can get to the Meadowlands Sports Complex Station from Spring Valley, Nanuet, and Pearl River stations on the Pascack Valley Line as well as from Port Jervis Line stations connecting at Secaucus Junction. Check www.mta.info for the most current schedule details.

DIRECT SERVICE FROM MAJOR NEW HAVEN LINE STATIONS
to the Meadowlands Sports Complex for Sunday, 1 PM Games ONLY
• Purchase your round-trip rail ticket to the Meadowlands Sports Complex Station at any Metro-North ticket office, ticket machine, or through WebTicket (www.mta.info).
• Direct service will be provided from the following stations:
– New Haven – Westport – Greenwich – Bridgeport – South Norwalk – Rye – Fairfield – Stamford – Larchmont For New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury Branches, check the schedule for connections, or drive to a New Haven Line station from which direct service is provided. Visit www.mta.info for schedule information.
• When you arrive at Secaucus Junction, look for the NJ TRANSIT representative at the fare gates.
— Show your train ticket to the representative at the gate.
— The express ride from Secaucus Junction to the Sports Complex is approximately 10 minutes.
Free weekend parking is available at many New Haven Line stations. Visit www.mta.info for parking information at your departure station.
  by Jeff Smith

From the schedule at the bottom of the attached document above, it appears there's only one direct train for each 1pm game. That seems about right.
  by Otto Vondrak

Jeff Smith wrote:I can't believe how poorly linked this is on the web-site; took some searching.
Also surprised they don't print timetables for this. They advertise the service with posters all over the place, but the schedules are impossible to find.

-otto-
  by Jeff Smith

I'm not sure, Otto. I have a mutual friend of a mutual friend checking. But seeing as the brochure seems to be standard paper (instead of the PDF fold out schedules for the lines) maybe not. I just want the Madonna schedules :P
  by lirr42

I found a printed brochure in the GCT Stationmaster's office pretty easily last year. They have all of the schedules (even the mini connection schedules in there too)
  by runningwithscalpels

Jeff Smith wrote:I'm not sure, Otto. I have a mutual friend of a mutual friend checking. But seeing as the brochure seems to be standard paper (instead of the PDF fold out schedules for the lines) maybe not. I just want the Madonna schedules :P
Mutual friend of a mutual friend. SURE. :P
  by Jeff Smith

lirr42 wrote:I found a printed brochure in the GCT Stationmaster's office pretty easily last year. They have all of the schedules (even the mini connection schedules in there too)
I'll be up end of month so I'll check if my friend of a friend hasn't checked. As for you, HazAChooChooProblem, don't make me come down there and ban you :P
  by runningwithscalpels

Jeff Smith wrote:
lirr42 wrote:I found a printed brochure in the GCT Stationmaster's office pretty easily last year. They have all of the schedules (even the mini connection schedules in there too)
I'll be up end of month so I'll check if my friend of a friend hasn't checked. As for you, HazAChooChooProblem, don't make me come down there and ban you :P
The friend of a friend will check...k?