Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

DutchRailnut wrote:yes John the railroad moves on
Without me? I'm so insulted!!! :)
  by Jayjay1213

46a's are still restricted, but as Dutch said they have snuck thru on a few occasions...
  by MACTRAXX

RearOfSignal wrote:MNR/NJT/Amtrak for the Superbowl will not make sense to me because there will be fewer people traveling from the eastern and northern suburbs because the NFL only allots a certain amount of tickets for the home team, or in this case teams. Meaning that the majority of tickets will be available to ticket holders of the two teams in the Superbowl, not the team in the host stadium. It's very likely that fans traveling into the area in support of their teams from out of state will not be making the long trip from Connecticut to the Meadowlands. It's more likely that they will stay in the city or in New Jersey and travel into the city for the associated Superbowl festivities.

This of course assumes that neither the Jets or Giants make it to the Superbowl. If history serves as any guide, no hosting team has ever made it to the Superbowl.
ROS: You are correct-no host team has ever played in the Super Bowl in their own stadium but interestingly enough back
when the NFL was also using large capacity college stadiums as a venue option there were two Super Bowls that were
played close to one of the participating team's stadium locations - both in California during the 1980s:

Super Bowl XIV on January 20,1980 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena: Pittsburgh Steelers 31,L.A.Rams 19
Super Bowl XIX on January 20,1985 at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto: San Francisco 49ers 38, Miami Dolphins 16

Both sites were within a 50 mile radius of the 49ers and Rams home stadiums and today would be served by
Metrolink and CalTrain respectively - In the Stanford Stadium case I will add that CalTrain was probably a good
option back then for that Super Bowl's attendees...

With the first ever cold-weather outdoor Super Bowl coming at MetLife Stadium it will be interesting to see how
everything evolves and I do agree that if a NEC region NFL team gets to play it will be just that more interesting
to see how that team's fans travel to the Meadowlands...In any case train service options will be quite interesting...

A list of Super Bowls can be found here: http://www.espn.go.com/nfl/superbowl/history/winners" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
  by Train538

Why are the ALP-46As restricted from MN territory? It seems like almost everything non-MN owned has been banned :-P.
  by runningwithscalpels

I suppose this is a bit of a stupid question, but Sunday I'm planning on going to the city - can I buy a West Haven-GCT ticket and just ride the football train to NYP instead?
  by Amtrak7

runningwithscalpels wrote:I suppose this is a bit of a stupid question, but Sunday I'm planning on going to the city - can I buy a West Haven-GCT ticket and just ride the football train to NYP instead?
Yes.
  by RearOfSignal

edflyerssn007 wrote:I rode this service today coming from Long Island, and on my way to the Meadowlands from Secaucus, I transferred to a MetroNorth branded train consisting of M7's being pulled by F40PH-3C number 4912. Out of curiosity, where does this equipment normally operate? I'm assuming the M7's are from East of Hudson, as my limited research online seems to indicate that the West of Hudson commuter cars are normally some Comet variants. Anyways, it was a good day for me as I rode on LIRR M7's, NJT Bilevels, NJT Comets, and MNRR M7's.
I seriously doubt you rode M7's out of Secaucus. In fact I would guarantee that you didn't. Perhaps you confused an M7 with a Comet V?
  by fl9m2004

That last medowlands train for year looked really nice flying through Rowayton on local track really good cab car horn
Didn't see the return run