• NJCL - more trains / EXPRESSES / HOB-BH service !!

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ns3010

ThirdRail7 wrote:I know the MLVs are restricted on the loops at Bay Head which is ok since I believe they are still restricted between Elberon and Bay Head anyway. I know the radius of the loops is too tight for the MLVs and I can't remember why there is/was a restriction past Elberon.
As I understand, the only reason behind the restriction is the loop. If they were allowed down to Bay Head, but restricted around the loop, odds are someone would goof and send them around the loop. Not allowing them beyond Elberon period makes everything simpler operationally.

The reason for the restriction west of Elberon, as opposed to west of Long Branch is so that they could enter and exit the yard the "back way" at BATH.
  by ns3010

They might go to Bay Head again if the loop is removed from everyday operations once BORNE interlocking is cut in.

Surely there is some physical fix to the problem, but the question is whether or not the benefits are worth the cost. For now, six car Comet sets provide enough capacity for the lower CL, so there's no purpose in investing huge sums of money at this time just to allow ML's to run.
  by 25Hz

ns3010 wrote:They might go to Bay Head again if the loop is removed from everyday operations once BORNE interlocking is cut in.

Surely there is some physical fix to the problem, but the question is whether or not the benefits are worth the cost. For now, six car Comet sets provide enough capacity for the lower CL, so there's no purpose in investing huge sums of money at this time just to allow ML's to run.
Well, what if they ran 2-3 MLV's and used those comets elsewhere? As several have pointed out, you cannot fit more than 8 cars and loco on tracks 1-4 at NYP, so not all NEC trains need more than 8 MLV's. I dunno where you could use the freed up comets, but i'm sure enough would be liberated to make up at least 2 other trains that could be used elsewhere. There is also a short yard track at long branch as JT pointed out on another NJCL thread somewhere. You could sneak in 2 push pulls there vs the one 6 or however many car that can fit there now.

The loop at bay head looks like it may soon be used for long term and MOW storage, and not turning trains?