• NJCL - more trains / EXPRESSES / HOB-BH service !!

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by SecaucusJunction

Here are the numbers:

To connect to the first express (8:01am at Secaucus), from the Main Line, you'd have to take train 70 departing Suffern at 6:08am arriving at Secaucus at 7:07am. (54 minute wait and a total trip time to Point Pleasant of 3hrs and 34 minutes)... the local actually gets you there about 20 minutes faster.

The second train, you can connect with off the Main Line if you want to change a 3 minute transfer time. Train 1708 - 9:08 from Suffern, arriving at Secaucus at 10:07, connection with the 10:10 "express" train. Total trip time from Suffern 2 hours 43 minutes.

Trying to get back will be an adventure. First "express" leaves PPB at 4:57pm and arrives at Secaucus at 6:39pm The next Main Line train (the previous leaves 4 mins before the shore train) is 1731 leaving at 7:35. Total trip time to Suffern 3 hours 43 minutes. On the BCL, it is an extra hour as there is no connection until 8:27.

Finally, in the evening, the last "express" train leaves PPB at 6:57, arriving at SEC at 8:39, with the next Main Line connection 1735 at 9:25 (slightly better). This train arrives at Suffern at 10:24 for a total trip time of 3 hours 27 minutes.

Basically, for these grants they got to help congestion, they sure won't pull anyone from North Jersey on the border on whether or not to take the train. By a matter of minutes, the schedules could be worlds better. Yes, yes, we all know there are schedule constraints. Last year we heard all about how the ALP45's couldn't even go to Bay Head due to lack of fueling. Obviously that was not true. NJT is just a "railroad" agency with bad planning and plenty of excuses. Maybe if enough people complain, they will realize what a farce this whole thing is and next years schedule can be better.

But seriously, these are "express" trains. With this kind of schedule, you might as well just have them blow by Secaucus and save the few minutes. For a "railroad" that always wanted to promote their gigantic station in the swamp as a way to move to other parts of NJ, this is a huge black eye.

We all just keep thinking they can't sink any lower, but then it happens. I'll give it to them though, they always continue to amaze.
  by F40

Just out of curiosity, is there anything that precludes running these trains from NY at the start of the day, then have the reverse trip back to NY after reaching BH in the later part of the morning/afternoon? (Sorry if there was an answer in the last 11 pages of the thread). Is it lack of storage at Sunnyside or do these ALP45 sets end their run in Bay Head the day before or the like? After collecting actual ridership numbers, maybe they can tweak the schedules as needed.
  by philipmartin

Here's a link to the Coast Line 6/22/2014 schedule. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/upcoming/R0080.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trains make Secaucus. Paper schedules should be out tomorrow.

These eight NY-BH trains are not in the Northeast Corridor schedule, even though they make Secaucus, Newark, Elizabeth and Rahway.
Servie starts June 28, 2014. http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=11101" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
  by trainbrain

SecaucusJunction wrote:Here are the numbers:

To connect to the first express (8:01am at Secaucus), from the Main Line, you'd have to take train 70 departing Suffern at 6:08am arriving at Secaucus at 7:07am. (54 minute wait and a total trip time to Point Pleasant of 3hrs and 34 minutes)... the local actually gets you there about 20 minutes faster.

The second train, you can connect with off the Main Line if you want to change a 3 minute transfer time. Train 1708 - 9:08 from Suffern, arriving at Secaucus at 10:07, connection with the 10:10 "express" train. Total trip time from Suffern 2 hours 43 minutes.

Trying to get back will be an adventure. First "express" leaves PPB at 4:57pm and arrives at Secaucus at 6:39pm The next Main Line train (the previous leaves 4 mins before the shore train) is 1731 leaving at 7:35. Total trip time to Suffern 3 hours 43 minutes. On the BCL, it is an extra hour as there is no connection until 8:27.

Finally, in the evening, the last "express" train leaves PPB at 6:57, arriving at SEC at 8:39, with the next Main Line connection 1735 at 9:25 (slightly better). This train arrives at Suffern at 10:24 for a total trip time of 3 hours 27 minutes.

Basically, for these grants they got to help congestion, they sure won't pull anyone from North Jersey on the border on whether or not to take the train. By a matter of minutes, the schedules could be worlds better. Yes, yes, we all know there are schedule constraints. Last year we heard all about how the ALP45's couldn't even go to Bay Head due to lack of fueling. Obviously that was not true. NJT is just a "railroad" agency with bad planning and plenty of excuses. Maybe if enough people complain, they will realize what a farce this whole thing is and next years schedule can be better.

But seriously, these are "express" trains. With this kind of schedule, you might as well just have them blow by Secaucus and save the few minutes. For a "railroad" that always wanted to promote their gigantic station in the swamp as a way to move to other parts of NJ, this is a huge black eye.

We all just keep thinking they can't sink any lower, but then it happens. I'll give it to them though, they always continue to amaze.
For the connection for train 1708, it would never work. That train is an all stop local that frequently runs multilevels. It is almost always a few minutes late at Secaucus. It could run earlier, and the Port Jervis Express before it run later to connect better.

For the trains coming back, they could run the 6:35 train maybe like 10 minutes later and make it subject to hold for the shore train. They could do the same with the Port Jervis Express before it.

For train 1735, I guess it could run a bit earlier, or extend train 1883 to Suffern, and run it a bit later to better connect.

The only issue with all these changes, is that they could affect these trains connections to New York. That would not be good for them.
  by njtmnrrbuff

If you live in Bergen County, and want to to get down the shore using one of the express trains, it's better to drive to either SEC or NWK(find a secure lot and don't drive an expensive car). If you live in Hackensack or anywhere along the 76 Bus Route, it might not be that bad, but keep in mind that that bus doesn't run that late on weekends from NWK.

The important thing is that you have options from Bergen County even if it involves doing a two seat ride.
  by F40

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:If you live in Bergen County, and want to to get down the shore using one of the express trains, it's better to drive to either SEC or NWK(find a secure lot and don't drive an expensive car). If you live in Hackensack or anywhere along the 76 Bus Route, it might not be that bad, but keep in mind that that bus doesn't run that late on weekends from NWK.

The important thing is that you have options from Bergen County even if it involves doing a two seat ride.
Having ridden the 76 on a few occasions to from Hackensack and Newark, it is quite brutal after a long day and unfortunately only $1.10 cheaper than riding the train to Secaucus. Hope you have good comfort food or something beforehand. :-)
  by CentralValleyRail

hovercat wrote:Thank you to a certain someone who directed my attention to this thread. All I have to say is jesus christ. If there's ever any wonder why almost everybody who knows anything about NJT stopped posting here, this thread would be the perfect example. If it weren't for srock being a holdout, this board would be almost devoid of any actual information and my advice to him would be to stop posting here like the rest of us did. This place is a cesspool of stupidity that revolves around the little foamer children or the truly stupid and ignorant adult railfans; CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction falling into the latter category. There is a third group and they are the posters here who are truly good and decent people whom I feel bad for because their outlet for learning and sharing information is ruined by the other two groups I mentioned before. For those of you that fall into this third group, I regret that your experience is tarnished by others and I mean no disrespect.

CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction, with their b!tching and moaning, have displayed here that they are some of the most simple-minded people that exist on these boards. If you want to give NJT a blank check then you can have all the express trains you want to every single destination running on 15 min intervals. But until CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction actually understand all the things that truly go into planning and operating a railroad, their complaining on here will be nothing more than a little child stomping their foot and sulking in the corner because they didn't get the flavor ice cream they wanted.

-Cruiser939

All I'm going to say about your schtick, extremely unprofessional. All I asked was why does a revenue run have to be run at 5:00am.
  by DestinationUnknown

CentralValleyRail wrote:
hovercat wrote:Thank you to a certain someone who directed my attention to this thread. All I have to say is jesus christ. If there's ever any wonder why almost everybody who knows anything about NJT stopped posting here, this thread would be the perfect example. If it weren't for srock being a holdout, this board would be almost devoid of any actual information and my advice to him would be to stop posting here like the rest of us did. This place is a cesspool of stupidity that revolves around the little foamer children or the truly stupid and ignorant adult railfans; CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction falling into the latter category. There is a third group and they are the posters here who are truly good and decent people whom I feel bad for because their outlet for learning and sharing information is ruined by the other two groups I mentioned before. For those of you that fall into this third group, I regret that your experience is tarnished by others and I mean no disrespect.

CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction, with their b!tching and moaning, have displayed here that they are some of the most simple-minded people that exist on these boards. If you want to give NJT a blank check then you can have all the express trains you want to every single destination running on 15 min intervals. But until CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction actually understand all the things that truly go into planning and operating a railroad, their complaining on here will be nothing more than a little child stomping their foot and sulking in the corner because they didn't get the flavor ice cream they wanted.

-Cruiser939

All I'm going to say about your schtick, extremely unprofessional. All I asked was why does a revenue run have to be run at 5:00am.
And the explanation wasn't good enough for you, even though it made perfect sense and was told to you by someone that knows more than you do.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I enjoy being able to answer questions, and hopefully help others understand that none of this is as simple or easy as it seems. While I would never let my professionalism fly out the window over anything, if you were my passenger and you asked me a question and I answered you honestly and truthfully and my answer wasn't good enough for you, I'd have to walk away. Some people are more concerned with being right than they are accepting of the truth.
  by philipmartin

Gratuitously offensive. This isn't civilized conversation, it's an insult.
hovercat wrote: All I have to say is jesus christ. This place is a cesspool of stupidity that revolves around the little foamer children or the truly stupid and ignorant adult railfans; CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction falling into the latter category.
CentralValleyRail and SecaucusJunction, with their b!tching and moaning, have displayed here that they are some of the most simple-minded people that exist on these boards. their complaining on here will be nothing more than a little child stomping their foot
-Cruiser939
  by Kaback9

The only thing insulting here is the fact that select members do not seem to listen. Even when being told directly from a source, that said sometimes a wake up call like the one provided is needed. Now can we please get back on the topic at hand? If you have any more issues message me privately and we will work them out.

Anyway; services started up today and a pair of 45's have made their way down to BH on 8 car sets. No further info to provide.
  by njtmnrrbuff

On June 28th, what are the chances of there being newscasters on the first train out of NY or at any of the stations?
  by trainbrain

Kaback9 wrote:Anyway; services started up today and a pair of 45's have made their way down to BH on 8 car sets. No further info to provide.
What cars were they pulling, Multilevels, or Comets.
  by philipmartin

Kaback9 wrote: services started up today and a pair of 45's have made their way down to BH on 8 car sets.
The new Coastline schedule is in effect today, showing the eight new trains. The Transit website shows the startup date as June 22 in "Service Advisories," and June 28 in "Popular Destinations" (right now.) Two 45s is all it takes to cover the eight trains.
Last edited by philipmartin on Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by njtmnrrbuff

I checked the new schedule and indeed, it did take affect today. However, the press release said that the new service would start on June 28th. It's good that it started today, especially since this is the first official weekend of summer.
  by Kaback9

trainbrain wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Anyway; services started up today and a pair of 45's have made their way down to BH on 8 car sets. No further info to provide.
What cars were they pulling, Multilevels, or Comets.
As of now the sets are comets.