• New Source for MSTS LIRR Downloads

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

http://www.thermomod.bjwaymods.com/Trai ... nloads.htm

This is the link to my website featuring free LIRR repaints for MSTS. With the excpetion of the C420 model (this very fine model was done by Gaetan Belanger; I simply made the addition of the sound and cab more user friendly), eveything was repainted into LIRR livery by me personally. This is all of my work to date; some re-paints are more photoreal than others, but I think are all very much worth adding to your collection. In addition, anyone else who has LIRR repaints can feel free to contact me via AIM and I may be able to arrange file hosting on my site for you, though I cannot make any promises. Enjoy!

-Kyle

by Richard Glueck

Kyle: A very nice and accessible site, too. I know you are in your freshman year of college, but when the time presents itself, we could use some Goodfellow Era color schemes on an S1 or S2 switcher, a blue striped RS2 for the Shelter Island Express. I know repainting the C420's is a pain, but that's a high priority, as well as proper grey coaches.
Can other original LIRR equipment be put on the site?

by alcoc420

Thanks. I appreciate your effort and skill. I don't know if msts users realize how much work you have done. I repainted a NYC RS3 to the LIRR 1955 livery, and it was so time consuming that I did not finish any others. I started a CPA24 and a GP38, but they were available on train-sim before I finished.

by lirrmike

Thank you! Nice job, I downloaded all of the models.

Mike

Kyle, PM me please.

by Lirr168

Richard Glueck wrote:Kyle: A very nice and accessible site, too. I know you are in your freshman year of college, but when the time presents itself, we could use some Goodfellow Era color schemes on an S1 or S2 switcher, a blue striped RS2 for the Shelter Island Express. I know repainting the C420's is a pain, but that's a high priority, as well as proper grey coaches.
Can other original LIRR equipment be put on the site?
Thanks Dick and others for your kind words. In response to the questions: I want to start an S1 or S2, but there are not many good models out there, ditto for the RS2...the quest continues. And yes, other original LIRR equipment should be able to go on the site, provided my storage space does not get decreased, so if anyone has stuff, IM or PM me and we can try to work something out.

-Kyle

by Lirr168

UPDATE: S2 is on the way, should be ready tomorrow afternoon at the latest

by Richard Glueck

Thanks, Kyle. Service with a smile!

by Frank

Where can I find a consist editor? I don't seem to have one. :(

by Lirr168

Frank wrote:Where can I find a consist editor? I don't seem to have one. :(
Here's the quickest and easiest way to install locomotives/Mu's on MSTS:

1. unzip the file to a temporary folder. the default is C:/unzipped
2. go to the temporary folder and find the folder within it that has the locomotive name (ex. LIRR RS1 461); copy this folder.
3. here's where it gets tough: go to the C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/Trains/Trainset
4. once inside the Trainset folder, paste the folder you copied from C:/unzipped. after checking the folder has appeared, close the window.
5. insert MSTS disc 2 (the orange one) into your CD-ROM drive
6. go to Start>All Programs>Microsoft Games>Train Simulator>Train Simulator Ediotrs and Tools; open it.
7. once the MSTS eitors and tools has opened (it may take a minute), go to the Activity Editor
8. once in activity editor, go to File>New. You'll seea route name come up, just click Ok. Next, it will prompt you to name the activity, also just click Ok.
9. under the section "Player" on the middle right, hit "New"
10. under the "Consist" heading, hit "New"
11. find the appropriate loco/car type (ex. diesel) from the drop down menu and scroll down the list until you locate the name of the loco you just put into the Trainset folder
12. now double-click on the loco and you will see it appear on the bottom. simply repeat step 11 to add more cars to the consist. before exiting, make sure to name your consist and save it as well.
13. finally, go into MSTS as normal and the train should appear in the same menu with all of the default ones.

by Paul

What great additions. Thank you. I love the C420s, even though it says "MLW" on the control stand.:wink: I am curious about the sound. Not sure if I loaded it right but I dont get horn, bell, or throttle changes. Not a complaint mind you. Now, try this...25 PRR hoppers with coal loads and two C420s rolling east from Hicksville. I managed to get over Cold Spring hill using three Centuries, but not two. I will however prevail.
If you would like a complete photo of a Alco cab, complete with throttle, reverser and brake handles, let me know. I am going down to the museium in two weeks to finish installing new pumps and injector nozzels and I can grab a few shots of an RS seires.

by Long Island 7285

Paul,

Kyle put the actual cab and sound files in a CABVIEW and SOUND folders with in folders of the same name

EX.. ../../CABVIEW/CABVIEW/... cab files... same for sounds

take the second cabview folder and paste that in the engine folder. this should work as it did for mine. i got sound and cab visulations.

the sound is from a 630primemover is that correct?

by Lirr168

Long Island 7285 wrote:the sound is from a 630primemover is that correct?
Great ear Joe, it is. IIRC, the horn is from a Delaware-Lackawanna C630 (maybe C424, though), but is the closest thing to an authentic C420 horn that I have found.

Just a note about the C420s: as you may have noticed, the cab and locomotves total about 20mb, and I was catching crap from the guy who runs the ftp server about having such big files, so I have taken them down in favor of the S2. If anyone still wants them, PM or IM me and I will send them via email.

by Lirr168

Gentlemen, set your faces to stunned:

Last edited by Lirr168 on Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Richard Glueck

Whoa! Now that's a C 420! Who did it? Where can I get it? Suddenly it's back to the glory days! The wayI remember them best!

by Lirr168

I made it!!! It took about 18 hours and lots of cursing at my computer, but it works and, I must say, looks awesome! It is available on my website; the link is available above.