• New Source for MSTS LIRR Downloads

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Frank

Lirr168 wrote:
Frank wrote:Where can I find a consist editor? I don't seem to have one. :(
Here's the quickest and easiest way to install locomotives/Mu's on MSTS:

1. unzip the file to a temporary folder. the default is C:/unzipped
2. go to the temporary folder and find the folder within it that has the locomotive name (ex. LIRR RS1 461); copy this folder.
3. here's where it gets tough: go to the C:/Program Files/Microsoft Games/Train Simulator/Trains/Trainset
4. once inside the Trainset folder, paste the folder you copied from C:/unzipped. after checking the folder has appeared, close the window.
5. insert MSTS disc 2 (the orange one) into your CD-ROM drive
6. go to Start>All Programs>Microsoft Games>Train Simulator>Train Simulator Ediotrs and Tools; open it.
7. once the MSTS eitors and tools has opened (it may take a minute), go to the Activity Editor
8. once in activity editor, go to File>New. You'll seea route name come up, just click Ok. Next, it will prompt you to name the activity, also just click Ok.
9. under the section "Player" on the middle right, hit "New"
10. under the "Consist" heading, hit "New"
11. find the appropriate loco/car type (ex. diesel) from the drop down menu and scroll down the list until you locate the name of the loco you just put into the Trainset folder
12. now double-click on the loco and you will see it appear on the bottom. simply repeat step 11 to add more cars to the consist. before exiting, make sure to name your consist and save it as well.
13. finally, go into MSTS as normal and the train should appear in the same menu with all of the default ones.
Thanks.

by Lirr168

by Long Island 7285

When will it be ready for download

by alcoc420

I drove the c420, pulling 12 gray coaches, last night from Kings Park to Syosset, and it was a lot of fun. I overshot Northport station by a carlength. The orange and gray 420s were the second locomotives I remember from when I was a kid. The first were the C-Liners. Unfortunately I distinctly remember the F-Ms because I was standing next to an older cousin and his friends throwing corn cobs at one as it passed a firemen's fair.

The sounds were fine. The prime mover sound is the most realistic of about three alco sounds alternatives. Unfortunately, my wife leaves the room when I run locomotives with that prime mover. Either you use the same horn as I do, or the .eng file is aliased to one my horns. The 3 chime horn sounds the way I remember the L-2s. Presumably the L-1s sounded the same. The only bad thing about the horn is delay between the time I press the key and the time the sound starts. To do 2 longs, a short, and a long, I have to start before reaching the whistle post when doing MAS.

Gaetan Belanger's photo-real cab view takes a little getting used because of the angle, but once you do, it is the best of any. When he was making the original msts c420 , he assumed the short end was the front. Fortunately, he corrected it before releasing it.

I like seeing the horns from the head-out-the-window view. I cannot remember if they are on the original.

The yellow/white sills look good, but I don't remember seeing any units painted this way.

Congratulations on doing a great job, and thanks for making the early c420 available.

by li7039

My first MSTS loco with a little help from LIRR 168 thanks 168

it aviable at my yahoo groups make a yahoo id and join my group
to download this loco

the link is http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/li7039/files/

i will be making a NYA sw1001 next

by li7039

hey only bout a hour to make

email me if you want it [email protected]

by lirrmike

Today on the Train-sim.com (http://www.train-sim.com), there are a set of New Haven FM CPA cab units. The LIRR had the same units, just at a different horsepower.

MIke

by Long Island 7285

Mike,
the HP rateings can be edited in the .eng file. along with tractive effort and lighting and much more.

by Richard Glueck

Now we need a set of LIRR cabooses (cabeese?), and H-10s and a G5s. I would think a nice caboose variety pack for LIRR would be within reason.

One would think that a method for drawing such locomotives would be developed. From what our resident MSTS mavens tell me, you need nearly a full degree in computer software to do so.

by Long Island 7285

Rich,

To make a shape and matching .ace file for msts you do need to have alot of computer knowlege.

the .s shape file requires you to start from a square/rectange and desigin it to what you want. all information there needs to accurate. it is really difficult for thoes of us not in the 3D desigin business

by Lirr168

Richard Glueck wrote:Now we need a set of LIRR cabooses (cabeese?).
Give me a week or so and it shall be done

by Long Island 7285

I have a 2 hacks on my other machine i did 3 years ago, they definatly need a touch up :-D

by Richard Glueck

Plural of "caboose": Cabeese? cabeeses? Caboozles? Cabeecii? Cabusses? Cabice?