Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MNCRR9000

I was searching on google looking for some additional information on the New Haven Rail Yard Project and happened to come across this PDF that has the the final build-out diagram of what the New Haven Rail Yard should look like when it is completed. Kind of interesting to look at.

http://www.bakerprojects.com/newhavenra ... OR_WEB.pdf
  by innervisions

The pedestrian bridge is an interesting touch...looks like it connects the EMU and Component Change-Out shops to the southernmost platform. I like.
  by MNCRR9000

It looks like that Final Build Out diagram was made up before the project was scaled back and was classified into 3 different tiers. I found a press release from 2008 that apparently the pedestrian bridge would be eliminated for a at-grade walkway.

http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?Q=431208&A=1373

So far it looks the following facilities have been completed in the New Haven Rail Yard.

M-8 Acceptance Facility - Completed in July 13,2009
EMU and CSR Shop Improvements - Completed July 23, 2010

Currently Under Construction:
Component Change out Shop - October 11, 2012
Diesel Storage Yard - December 25, 2010

New Haven Rail Yard Update Status from August 11,2010
http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... 081110.pdf

Update Status regarding the Component Change Out Shop
http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... -09-01.pdf
  by MNCRR9000

After taking a look another look at the build-out plan it seems like the future rail yard may surpass the size of the Croton-Harmon Rail Yard.

This may be a obvious question but what type of repairs are done in a Running Repair Shop compared to say the component change out shop that is currently under construction?
  by DutchRailnut

its just to bad its at wrong location,it should have been in old Hump yard in Cedar Hill yard.
In todays cities you want offices and residential near station, not a mega site to annoy the citizens of a city.
  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:its just to bad its at wrong location,it should have been in old Hump yard in Cedar Hill yard.
In todays cities you want offices and residential near station, not a mega site to annoy the citizens of a city.
Yeah thats a good point. It's seems like it would make a lot more sense to have the maintenance facility at the Cedar Hill Yard. Doesn't CSX and Amtrak own a large portion of it now?
  by GP40 6694

DutchRailnut wrote:its just to bad its at wrong location,it should have been in old Hump yard in Cedar Hill yard.
There's a really bad public housing project to the north of the station, and an Ikea and some other giant boxes to the south. Not exactly prime redevelopment area, and it's not in the city core.
  by DutchRailnut

The Cedar hill hump yard is way west of the area the freight railroads own.
there is currently only one track(with SPV on it) but there use to be like 20 tracks each about 100 x 50 foot long
have fun use Bing maps bird eye view.
  by shadyjay

That would have been a great location... but imagine the studies CDOT would have done to allow it, not to mention any enviornmental cleanup on the site.

But there almost certainly wouldn't be any NIMBY opposition, and there would probably be a lot more trains serving NHV-State Street.
  by DutchRailnut

The cleanup would not have been bad at Hump yard , now at current location however I would worry about soil samples.
betya tons of PCB's from old New Haven days.
  by GP40 6694

How much land are they actually adding to the footprint of the facility? It looks to me like a small triangle they are adding, and the rest is just re-using existing rail yard land?

Cedar Hill would have required a bunch of extra electrification, and they would have had to move the 12.5/25 transition east a bit so that the older cars could get up to Cedar Hill on 12.5.
  by MNCRR9000

GP40 6694 wrote:How much land are they actually adding to the footprint of the facility? It looks to me like a small triangle they are adding, and the rest is just re-using existing rail yard land?

Cedar Hill would have required a bunch of extra electrification, and they would have had to move the 12.5/25 transition east a bit so that the older cars could get up to Cedar Hill on 12.5.
From looking at the final build out plan it looks like they are going to re-use the existing rail yard located within their property boundaries.
  by MNCRR9000

Appears as if the State Bond commission just approved $95 Million dollars towards the upgrade of the New Haven Rail Yard.
$95 million for the state Department of Transportation to continue the billion-dollar expansion of the New Haven Rail Yard;

Read more: http://www.newstimes.com/default/articl ... z1EzO6498k
I wonder what shop this money is going to be put towards since the Component Change Out shop is already under construction along with the Independent Wheel True Facility.