Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TCurtin

I started a new thread since the first one is so long it's getting unwieldy. Here is the "intended" New Haven schedule for today (Monday 9/30). Frakly, I think it looks utterly amazing what they think they're going to be able to do:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/s ... Friday.pdf
(That pdf unfortunately comes out virtually unreadable when you scale it to an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, but who has a printer that will produce timetable-size pages?)

The screen is titled "Friday" but the web site pointer to it says beginning 9/30.

Also, they are saying publicly they intend to have normal service by Tuesday 10/8 which --- if it happens, of course --- will by 13 calendar days since the disaster. Looks like competent engineering minds are getting together and figuring out how to get the job done
  by runningwithscalpels

One has to admire the people who fix this stuff when catastrophe hits. Full service in less than a week after the derailment in Bridgeport, 13 days with this? Super props to them! Hopefully the temporary measures hold until full service resumes!
  by Saugatuck

I applaud the way MNRR has appended a 'Y' prefix to each train number on this special schedule. Obviously a reference to 'Yankee' trains (no, not the trains to Yankee Stadium).
  by Amtrak7

That is the Friday schedule. This is the weekday schedule:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/NHLPowerLossWeekday.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://twitter.com/stephen_nessen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Reports of P&R ridership being extremely light and shuttle bus drivers getting lost.

Reports from Stamford Advocate indicate overcrowding and pass-ups, as well as reverse peak delays.
  by Saugatuck

Uh-oh:

New Haven Line Customers traveling eastbound through the vicinity of Mount Vernon East should continue to anticipate delays of up to 15 minutes due to a power failure in the area. Please listen for announcements at your station.
  by lirr42

Saugatuck wrote:Uh-oh:

New Haven Line Customers traveling eastbound through the vicinity of Mount Vernon East should continue to anticipate delays of up to 15 minutes due to a power failure in the area. Please listen for announcements at your station.
I think that's just a general pre-programmed announcement spit out of their alert system. The power failure is the substation fiasco, and that's casuing delays.
  by Stephen B. Carey

Saugatuck wrote:I applaud the way MNRR has appended a 'Y' prefix to each train number on this special schedule. Obviously a reference to 'Yankee' trains (no, not the trains to Yankee Stadium).
Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain that a little more? It sounds quite interesting.
  by DutchRailnut

the Y is for east/west as the X is for north/south, it has nothing to do with Yankees but designation of basically extra trains.
  by Saugatuck

Years ago, New Haven trains were designated with a 'Y' - Yankee, to allow dispatchers to distinguish them from NYC trains with similar numbers.
  by Stephen B. Carey

I thought it might have to do with the New Haven days but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
  by lirr42

Just in case anyone hasn't been able to figure out which trains are likely operating with MU's and which trains are likely operating with Maxi's, I marked up a copy of the New Haven Line schedule to show which trains would operate with what kind of equipment (in theory, as Maxi's can stand in for an MU on any run). The schedule's attached, look at the top of each train where the numbers are usually put:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by truck6018

On the current numbering system all Yankee trains are prefixed by a 7 (7xxx).

What DRN makes sense E/W a "Y" and N/S an "X" but during the Hudson Line derailment all trains were prefixed with a "Z"
  by Travelsonic

[quote="TCurtin"]
Also, they are saying publicly they intend to have normal service by Tuesday 10/8.../quote]

Right on my birthday... gonna have to celebrate that by treating myself to a train ride. :D
  by RearOfSignal

truck6018 wrote:On the current numbering system all Yankee trains are prefixed by a 7 (7xxx).

What DRN makes sense E/W a "Y" and N/S an "X" but during the Hudson Line derailment all trains were prefixed with a "Z"
X Y Z, extra they always change it around I can't figure it.
  by freightguy

The X,Y, and Z designations are way before Metro North. According to a book the Grand Central signalmen the engines of all three divisions were assigned X,Y and Z for locomotives of the Harlem, Hudson River- and the New Haven Roads which was the signal to back down and connect onto the trains of each division. The tower operator would display the signal(letter) and a telegraph system to have to lite engine move on the proper equipment. It would be a somewhat safe bet this nomenclature may have carried over to Metro North's 21st century system. That system was in place since at least the late 19th century.