Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by lirr42

MN's schedules page has been updated as of today to indicate that the current weekday schedule (representing ~65% of service) will be in effect through end of service Friday. This weekend's schedule is also posted, it's very similar to last weekend's (if not the same). Hourly electric trains from New Haven to Stamford, where you can transfer for a diesel express to HLM/GCT leaving at :55 past the hour or a diesel local leaving at the top of the hour. No electric trains through the affected area and substitute busing rears its head on the Waterbury Branch again.
  by ajp

as I was going E/B on AMTK 174 I saw 1 westbound m8's on track 3 somewhere between new rochelle and port chester. A transfer move?
  by DutchRailnut

their still running electric for expresses and bomb's for locals.
  by Stephen B. Carey

DutchRailnut wrote:their still running electric for expresses and bomb's for locals.
Any reason for that? I would think that the electrics would be better for locals since they can get up to speed much faster.
  by lirr42

Stephen B. Carey wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:their still running electric for expresses and bomb's for locals.
Any reason for that? I would think that the electrics would be better for locals since they can get up to speed much faster.
He's talking STM-GCT. Due to the heavily increased power loads on the system when an electric train is either accelerating or decelerating, the idea was to have the MU's operate nonstop through the affected area whenever possible. While what you said is true, in this particular application the maxi-bombs are better off for locals, as they won't affect the system at all when stopping or starting.
  by CTRailfan

lirr42 wrote:
Stephen B. Carey wrote:
He's talking STM-GCT. Due to the heavily increased power loads on the system when an electric train is either accelerating or decelerating, the idea was to have the MU's operate nonstop through the affected area whenever possible. While what you said is true, in this particular application the maxi-bombs are better off for locals, as they won't affect the system at all when stopping or starting.
The MU train I was on Monday was accelerating slower than a full-size double decker diesel push-pull due to the limitations on acceleration. The Maxis' will do better for local with less chance of popping a breaker in the temporary substation.
  by Stephen B. Carey

Thanks, I didn't know about the power drain when accelerating. Its crazy to think how much powe goes into that system when its running at 100%.