• Multi-Level Cars—Delivery/Status

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by 25Hz

nomis wrote:If the FRA says you have to inspect the car every X days, and NJT says I will be so good and do it in Y days ... who's feet are they going to hold to the fire if you can't get it done in Y days :-)
I think they should change it to 5 days like FRA suggested.
  by sixty-six

trainbrain wrote:Just wondering why there are no Multilevels on the Port Jervis Line past Suffern yet. Some reasons that I can think of are because they carry the NJ Transit logo and Metro North wants their own logo on that line, too heavy to go over the Moodna Viaduct, not enough clearance at the Otisville Tunnel, not enough riders, and Port Jervis yard does not have the proper equipment to store them there. Does anyone know if any of these are the reason why the Port Jervis Line has not seen Multilevels yet. Also does anyone know if they are thinking about running them there in the next few years or so.
Because the Port Jervis line is Metro-North owned, and Metro-North didn't buy Multilevels.
  by Jtgshu

25Hz wrote:
nomis wrote:If the FRA says you have to inspect the car every X days, and NJT says I will be so good and do it in Y days ... who's feet are they going to hold to the fire if you can't get it done in Y days :-)
I placed a phone call after reading your post 25hz, and NJT agreed to change the time frame to 5 days!!!

Actually they changed it a few months ago, but hey, whos counting
  by 25Hz

Jtgshu wrote:
25Hz wrote:
I placed a phone call after reading your post 25hz, and NJT agreed to change the time frame to 5 days!!!

Actually they changed it a few months ago, but hey, whos counting
Hmm... interesting..... I wonder if logistical issues stemming from sandy played a role in that...... *ponders*
  by ThirdRail7

I meant to ask this before, but does anyone know for certain why they dropped the speeds on the multi-level vehicles and is it temporary?
  by sixty-six

ThirdRail7 wrote:I meant to ask this before, but does anyone know for certain why they dropped the speeds on the multi-level vehicles and is it temporary?
Just going to throw a guess out there, but possibly because ML2's were only good for 90, they dropped them all for uniformity until they're good for 100? Because it's too much work to determine if you have a ML2 in the consist apparently...
  by Sirsonic

As anyone who went to Choo-Choo-U knows well (having heard it countless times) "proper terminology is important". So with that, lets clarify that there are no such things as ML2's. There are MLs coming in from the second order, but they are still only multi levels.
  by sixty-six

Sirsonic wrote:As anyone who went to Choo-Choo-U knows well (having heard it countless times) "proper terminology is important". So with that, lets clarify that there are no such things as ML2's. There are MLs coming in from the second order, but they are still only multi levels.
For discussion's sake, ML2 mind as well mean Multi Level order 2, since not everyone here went to Choo-Choo-U.
  by Fan Railer

sixty-six wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:I meant to ask this before, but does anyone know for certain why they dropped the speeds on the multi-level vehicles and is it temporary?
Just going to throw a guess out there, but possibly because ML2's were only good for 90, they dropped them all for uniformity until they're good for 100? Because it's too much work to determine if you have a ML2 in the consist apparently...
If that were the case, it would just be easier to isolate the ML2s to the Raritan, or the Bergen Division, and keep them off NEC trains, I would think. Afterall, the only trains that would run over 90 mph are the ones traveling to or from Trenton.
  by ThirdRail7

Fan Railer wrote:
sixty-six wrote:
If that were the case, it would just be easier to isolate the ML2s to the Raritan, or the Bergen Division, and keep them off NEC trains, I would think. Afterall, the only trains that would run over 90 mph are the ones traveling to or from Trenton.
Thank you for the information, guys.

Fan railer, I'm going to take a guess and say that since the fleet is not confined and equipment can end up anywhere at anytime (like a Raritan train needing to head to MVL for servicing) it was easier to put a blanket restriction.
  by Jtgshu

As a side note, not to question the great Sirsonic, :) but the Bombardier folks who are prepping the new cars call them "ML2's" Also, they have started to refer to the trains with ML1s and ML2s as "mixed consists" for testing purposes. A few months ago the RVL was almost all ML2s, now their ranks are thinning it seems, as it looks like a lot of ML1s that are coming back from being repaired from Sandy have made their way out to the RVL
  by srock1028

It is temporary until the FRA allows the ML2's to do 100. The speeds were dropped to 90 as a blanket so both kinds of cars can operate together on any line.
  by 25Hz

srock1028 wrote:
It is temporary until the FRA allows the ML2's to do 100. The speeds were dropped to 90 as a blanket so both kinds of cars can operate together on any line.
Isn't this standard with any new arrivals, the 90 mph limit?
  by nomis

25Hz wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
New non-Amtrak equipment seems to have the arbitrary 90mph MAS associated to it when running on Amtrak rails until Amtrak certifies it for a greater speed.
  by ThirdRail7

nomis wrote:
25Hz wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
New non-Amtrak equipment seems to have the arbitrary 90mph MAS associated to it when running on Amtrak rails until Amtrak certifies it for a greater speed.
It's not just non-Amtrak equipment. The ACS-64s are restricted to 90 as well.