• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by chipz150

Thank you for awnsering the previous questions but of course i have some more.

1.Are they days off consecutive? or are they spread apart?

ex. im off tues, wed, If they call me in 2 minutes before my weekend and im guarenteed two days off will that shift count as working on my day off and will i recieve another day off for it or will it just count as me working on my scheduled ON CALL day?

2. also before i asked about permanent schedules....what i meant was how long are you on the extras list before your able to "select" a shift due to seniority or wateva the case may be. I understand the shift will change every so often when people select there shift and whats left on the bottom the ac's with the least seniority wil get. i was just wondering whats the average amount of time before your able to "select" ?
  by HalMallon

Dutch,

What does "those will timeclaim any person" mean??

Thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

If railroad uses a Conductor from new class as conductor, the persons denied promotion can time claim the railroad.
in other words the railroad must pay the person who was bypassed a days pay or differece in pay for job .
  by DutchRailnut

chipz150 wrote:Thank you for awnsering the previous questions but of course i have some more.

1.Are they days off consecutive? or are they spread apart?

Scheduled days off are always consecutive.

ex. im off tues, wed, If they call me in 2 minutes before my weekend and im guarenteed two days off will that shift count as working on my day off and will i recieve another day off for it or will it just count as me working on my scheduled ON CALL day?

If you are tue/wed off , and on list they could call you in to report at 11:59 pm on monday (technicaly), the time would still be straight time as your start is in the 5 work days of the job.

2. also before i asked about permanent schedules....what i meant was how long are you on the extras list before your able to "select" a shift due to seniority or wateva the case may be. I understand the shift will change every so often when people select there shift and whats left on the bottom the ac's with the least seniority wil get. i was just wondering whats the average amount of time before your able to "select"
I have seen new hirees get awarded regular jobs a week out of class, trick is don't aim high, take jobs few people want , like late starting jobs with mon/tue off.
someone who already had 2 days off between wednesday/sunday is not likely to bump you if you still have rest days pending.
You may if junior in class even be forced assigned to jobs that keep going no bid.
?
  by chipz150

alright so if in the case i do get called in a min before my weekend the most amount of hours they can work me is 12 for that day...also if im off tues wed that means they can call me in 12:01 am that wed night or techinically thurs morning.

also does the 6 months training count towards your seniority...ex. training 6 months then 6 months later my salary goes up or is it a year after i get out training?
  by DutchRailnut

chipz150 wrote:alright so if in the case i do get called in a min before my weekend the most amount of hours they can work me is 12 for that day...also if im off tues wed that means they can call me in 12:01 am that wed night or techinically thurs morning.

Correct

also does the 6 months training count towards your seniority...ex. training 6 months then 6 months later my salary goes up or is it a year after i get out training?

Seniority starts the day classes start, the seniority is set by sequence, that medical was given to group.
You start at 70% of rate
after one year it goes up to 75%
after second year it goes to 80%
after third year it goes to 85%
after fourth year it goes to 90%
after fifth year you make 100%
  by chipz150

does this 11:59pm and 12:01am occur more often then not? I definitely want this position i just want to know what im getting into so that when i take it im not one of those guys complaining all the time like i didn't know how it really was.

Are most terminals at the location of the train stop? or futher away from it?......if your late for a train besides being penalized what happens do you have to wait for another shift or do you get sent home?
  by DutchRailnut

chipz150 wrote:does this 11:59pm and 12:01am occur more often then not? I definitely want this position i just want to know what im getting into so that when i take it im not one of those guys complaining all the time like i didn't know how it really was.

Does it happen, yes, does it happen often, no

Are most terminals at the location of the train stop? or futher away from it?......if your late for a train besides being penalized what happens do you have to wait for another shift or do you get sent home?

Terminals or crew bases are GCT, Harmon, Poughkeepsie, North white plains, Brewster, Wassaic, Stamford, New Haven, Danbury.

If your late you get warning letter, if it happens again you get 5 days off (no pay)
  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:If railroad uses a Conductor from new class as conductor, the persons denied promotion can time claim the railroad.
in other words the railroad must pay the person who was bypassed a days pay or differece in pay for job .
Actually, all unqualified Ass't Conductors are being given weekly 17B penalty claims until they are promoted. Not a difference in pay, just 2 1/2 OT claim per week. I've heard other things as well but this is the only thing I've seen in put in writing. Putting my claim in now. :wink:
  by chipz150

what's the difference between unqualified and qualified ac's?

Also in "getting bumped" is this while your on the extras list or after your able to "hold a job" or "select a shift"? how often does the new schedules go out so that people with the most seniority pick first every week,month e.t.c

in other words if i selected to work (after I was able too pick) from 2am to 10am on a certain line...is there a chance I'll get bumped becuase what someone last minute changed their mind?
  by DutchRailnut

Bumping happens 24/7, due to people returnng from long term sick, extra list adjustments, flag job abolishments etc.
Some people get bumped 6 times in one night, and it happens just as often on extra list as on regular jobs.
  by chipz150

so if you get bumped you just wait around in the station untill you get another shift...what is the maximum time they can do it?..is it until you get a job?....also for how many years is this capable happeneing to i know the ones with more seniority dont get bumped as much?

so they'll call u in to gct..you get there they tell u that you have been bumped to go to waisac. you go there and you get bumped...it's kind of liked that right...for how many hours can this occur in one day and what happenes if u get called a hour before your weekend and keep getting bumped for several hours...what's the stipulation on that
  by RearOfSignal

chipz150 wrote:so if you get bumped you just wait around in the station untill you get another shift...what is the maximum time they can do it?..is it until you get a job?....also for how many years is this capable happeneing to i know the ones with more seniority dont get bumped as much?

so they'll call u in to gct..you get there they tell u that you have been bumped to go to waisac. you go there and you get bumped...it's kind of liked that right...for how many hours can this occur in one day and what happenes if u get called a hour before your weekend and keep getting bumped for several hours...what's the stipulation on that
The RR has to call you at least 4 hours before your on-duty time to notify you of being displaced(bumped). This means you then have 48 hours to make a move. Either bump someone with less seniority than you off of their job, or take a hold-down on an open job. Once you're bumped you cannot work until you have moved onto another job. You may get bumped while at work, but you always finish the job, you don't get bumped and just walk off the train or go home. You can get bumped off the extra-list just like any other job. Yes, sometimes you may get bumped several times in a day or even an hour. But being a new guy the crew dispatcher will probably tell you to wait to make a move until after everything has settled down and not put you into the system just to get bumped an hour later; especially on Sunday nights when the week's bids go into effect and there's a lot of shuffling. Once you get bumped you no longer have any set days off. So if you're on the list and get bumped off at 23:59 on your Friday you have until 23:59 on Sunday to make a move. Keep in mind that you do not get paid when in bump status, so it would be in your best interest to make a move as soon as possible and not have a 3 day paycheck; though having 2 days off can come in handy. If you fail to make a move within the 48 hours, you lose your bumping rights and must take an open job in the last terminal where you held a job.

You will always be subject to being bumped as long as you work here only time you won't is if you ever become the #1 guy on the roster, can't get bumped if you're the #1 guy.
  by chipz150

so every week a new list goes out and your subject to being bumped..depending on how low you are...also if you get bumped and dont pick up a job within 2 days you have to report back to the terminal that you last were or the last terminal you worked an on call?

Being able to bump is that basically an upgrade from being on the "on call" list
  by RearOfSignal

Everyone on the roster from the #2 guy to the #750 guy is subject to being bumped, technically your job is never "safe" nor permanent whether or a regular job or the list. Jobs that are open or vacated are put up for everyone to bid on each week, at the end of the week those jobs are awarded to the most senior person who bid it. If I'm on job A and see job B up for advertisement, I can bid it. If I'm the most senior person who bids that job I win it, on Monday I would then start job B. Job A which I left now goes up for bid since it is open.

Each job is assigned out of a crew base. GCT, Stamford, New Haven, Danbury, E Bridgeport, Wassaic, Brewster, North White Plains, Poughkeepsie or Croton-Harmon. Your job always starts and ends at one of these crew bases. For example a job out of NWP can go down to GCT, up to Brewster, back to GCT and then finish going back up to NWP. NWP is your crew base even though you make stops at other crew bases throughout the day. No matter when or where you are notified of being bumped your crew bases would still be NWP. Same applies for the extra list. Extra list jobs are assigned to each crew base.

Being bumped is not always a bad thing. Sometimes it's just what you want in order to bump someone else off a job you were eyeing that wasn't up for bid or to get off a job you don't care for. You can only bump someone else when you are bumped or abolished or returning from some kind of extended leave. You just can't call up and say I want to bump onto job so-and-so.

The extra list also is not so bad, depending on how you line-up for work you may catch some big-pay jobs starting in morning ending mid-afternoon. The extra list is where you can make $$$ so even as a new conductor you might not have enough seniority to hold the list. In fact I made more $$$ getting bumped every week when I first hired on than I do now on a regular job that I've held now for 5 months.