• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by DutchRailnut

The list is for entire day, you could be called on any job from 00:01 till 23:59 even if it is your friday.
As for South East I live in Brewster Area and had to go to GCT a few times, its do-able, drive to NWP and take train.
or Drive to MO jct and take any train from there.
as for next days work if you work the list, you get one job at a time, after finishing (even if it is New York) you can be called after 6 hours for a report 2 hours later.
so try to get sleep in deadhead cars going home,or to work.
  by RearOfSignal

If you're on the list you don't have to worry about the next day, meaning you would be assigned any job any day you're scheduled to be available on the list. If you got called for a job 6 pm on Friday night that ended 2am on Saturday morning you would have to be ready if needed to take a job that went to work at 10am on Saturday(8 hours rest), but they can still call you at 6am for the 2-hour notice of assignment. If things are slow you can call the crew dispatcher, and ask how it's looking, they may or may not need you. If they don't you still get paid 8 hours -a guaranteed day.
  by Spoolhead

Hal,
I got my email stating I passed the first phase of the AC test, and they will now proceed with my background investigation. How did you make out?
Spool
  by HalMallon

Same here. My background check should go smoothly, so hopefully I'll have an interview set up within the next few weeks!
  by RearOfSignal

Guess PM isn't working.
  by chipz150

Hello I'm supposed to be coming up into a new class for the assistant conductor position and Ive been on this site reading the pro's and con's. I had some questions regarding the positions as such

1.How much time do they give you in advance when they call you into a shift?(extras list)
What is the minum amount of time they are allowed

2.What is the estimated amount of time before your able to get a "permanent"schedule?

3.How long is the initial training?(Mon-fri)

4.I was told assistant conductors also do railyard work. While your on the extras list whats the percentage that you will be in the railyards as oppose to being on the train? and how many years does that go on for?

5.Also i read at times you will work 12 hours and then get 4 hours off and then report back for another shift? Are you allowed to sleep at the station? what do you guys do in this situation?

6.is it true that if you dont get called in for 40 hours you still get paid for the 40 hours? and what is the maximum amount of time they can call you in for? ex. if i already worked 45 hours in a week and they call me in for another 12 is it mandatory?

I know it seems like alot but I'd greatly apreciate anyone who could help me out. I keep asking HR but they are usually vague and general with their awnsers. thank youchipz150

Private messageE-mail
  by DutchRailnut

chipz150 wrote:Hello I'm supposed to be coming up into a new class for the assistant conductor position and Ive been on this site reading the pro's and con's. I had some questions regarding the positions as such

1.How much time do they give you in advance when they call you into a shift?(extras list)

They will give you a two hour call to report for work to home terminal2.What is the estimated amount of time before your able to get a "permanent"schedule?

I believe its now 6 months, as you will be trained for Conductor

4.I was told assistant conductors also do railyard work. While your on the extras list whats the percentage that you will be in the railyards as oppose to being on the train? and how many years does that go on for?

Extra list covers all work in a terminal but the list is normally split in a passenger list and combo board list, the combo board requires seniority, as yard wark and flagging work can be desirabe

5.Also i read at times you will work 12 hours and then get 4 hours off and then report back for another shift? Are you allowed to sleep at the station? what do you guys do in this situation?

Some jobs work in exces of 12 hours but with a 4 hour cutout, there will be facilities to take a nap, normally after a shift the time off is 8 hours or more, with one allowable call in the 8 hour period for your next report (two hour call)

6.is it true that if you dont get called in for 40 hours you still get paid for the 40 hours? and what is the maximum amount of time they can call you in for? ex. if i already worked 45 hours in a week and they call me in for another 12 is it mandatory?

MNCR has a guaranteed extra board, which means you get paid for day if you remain available, and they do not use you, MNCR can work you 12 hours for 4 days and 5th day you end up with a 8 hour guarantee.
MNCR does not care how many days or hours you worked you are on call for 5 days, and could be called in to work 1 minute before your weekend starts.

I know it seems like alot but I'd greatly apreciate anyone who could help me out. I keep asking HR but they are usually vague and general with their awnsers. thank youchipz150

Private messageE-mail
  by RearOfSignal

chipz150 wrote: 2.What is the estimated amount of time before your able to get a "permanent"schedule?
Probably never, unless you become the #1 guy on the roster. There is always the potential for your job to change, but as you get more seniority the better the chances you'll get a job you like and be able to hold on to it. The classroom training is Mon-Fri, but under the new system I think the OJT is Tue-Sat, varying hours, early morning or late nights. You can work in the yards as an Assistant Conductor once your probation is up, but under the new agreement you cannot take Conductor jobs in the yards or own a spot on the Combo board for one year and are qualified in the yards. MNR is going through a change in training practices for new hire Assistant Conductors, so no one is sure exactly the new policies will be. The first class of new hires qualifying straight to Conductor just marked up last week and the process is still under evaluation.
  by Brakeman1

Example : Youre on The Brewster Extra List You Will Be Notified For Assignment T900 That Lets Say Reports At 0900
The Crew Dispatcher Has Until 0700 To Notify You.. This does not mean that they wont give you a late call but the time is 2 hours. You can request a 3 hour call but there only required 2.
2.What is the estimated amount of time before your able to get a "permanent"schedule?
As Rear Of Signal Stated. Unless youre the #1 Man there is no guarentees. If you choose a not so popular job you may be untouched it all depends..
As stated they are trying a new training method. Currently you are hired as an Assistant Conductor But You Will Not Be Realeased From The New Hire Program Until Youre Qualified or The Crew Management Center Requires You Too.

Assistant Conductors Are Then Called Brakeman. Assignments in this case would be based upon you taking a hold down or getting awarded the assignment. This is not to say if youre on the Passenger List you cant get called for a Yard Job for which then you are seperating from service which you will learn when you start. Seniority is everything on The RailRoad so expect that you will see Jobs like this from time to time but generally these assighnments are owned by senior men with 10 to 30 years.
Under The Federal Hours Of Service Act You Are Allowed To Perform Service For A Total Of 12 Hours. You are allowed to be on duty for a total of 16 Hours with a 4 Hour Interim Release Which Then Backs You Down To 12 Hours Performing Service.

If you work 11Hours and 59 Minutes or less You are Required 8 Hours Rest (ex. Off Duty at 1921 Youre Rested In This Case At 0321) If you work 12 Hours You Are Entitled to 10 Hours Undisturbed Rest. As far as sleeping at the station the only shot you can even think about sleeping is in a GCT Bunkroom which is provided to you if you cover an assignment with 12 hours or more on duty.
You are Guarenteed a 40 Hour Workweek but this is tricky because of displacements or awarded assignments.

All A(Combo CDR) C (PSGR CDR) T(PSGR AC) B(Combo AC/Brakeman) Are 40 Hours Minumum For Pay Purposes. Some Assignments may not be on duty for 8 Hours but No Matter What In This Case Youre Guarenteed 40 Hours.

But You can lose that if youre days off change. Such as if today you have Mon/Tue off and You didnt work youre days off and you get bumped tuesday night and you bump onto an assignment with tue/wed off youre losing money then. The Pay Period Goes Wednesday to Tuesday.

You are required to worked more than 40 Hours if youre on the extra list you need to be available 24/5. Assigments are called in order of first in first out. You could end up with 40 hours by thursday (Ex. M-F Workeek With S/S Off) and be called for a 15Hour job on Friday.

Hope This Information Helps And What Area Do You Live In? Just curious if im gonna be looking forward to bumping you or not.. :wink:
  by hvmedic538

How does getting bumped work?? If your on an extra list and don't get notified until 2 hrs before your shift - who's bumping you out? Or does it just apply to regular assignments.
I was at an interview this past week but forgot to ask about this. Thanks.
  by HalMallon

Since incoming trainees will be hired on as Conductors, is that causing any rumbling among the existing ACs?

If I understand seniority correctly, wouldn't a new Conductor in the new training scenario have greater seniority (yet have less railroad experience) than an AC who was hired on a year ago under the then-existing training program?
  by DutchRailnut

Correct and same with AC's who were not given oportunity to promotion, those will timeclaim any person, used as Conductor untill they are promoted and made whole.
  by RearOfSignal

hvmedic538 wrote:How does getting bumped work?? If your on an extra list and don't get notified until 2 hrs before your shift - who's bumping you out? Or does it just apply to regular assignments.
I was at an interview this past week but forgot to ask about this. Thanks.
The whole bumping and bidding can at times be complicated. Suffice to say you can always get bumped if your not the #1 guy. They'll teach you what you need to know once in class.
  by chipz150

thanks alot that previous reply

couple more questions

1. how many sick days and vacation time do you get after 1st year?

2.furloughed/ does that mean temporarily fired?

3.While your on the extras list you work 24/7 correct? its not like they let u know ur off tues and the rest of the days your on call right? how does that work.

(understanding my responsibility of beiong an ac)
4.I know the minimun amount of time is 2 hours for on calls. What if your physically incapable of making that train because lets say you live at fordam station and they want you to report to port javis in nj? the train alone from penn station to port jarvis is almost 2 hours. do they
call you a little more in advance or is it just it is what it is?
  by DutchRailnut

chipz150 wrote:thanks alot that previous reply

couple more questions

1. how many sick days and vacation time do you get after 1st year?

After 1 year you get 2 weeks vacation, sick days is 12 per year, don't know if you get any in first calender year.

2.furloughed/ does that mean temporarily fired?

Yes it does but lately no AC's have been layed off or Furlought.

3.While your on the extras list you work 24/7 correct? its not like they let u know ur off tues and the rest of the days your on call right? how does that work.

On extra list you work a certain job with two days off, every week the extra list gets re-adjusted so rest days will vary

(understanding my responsibility of beiong an ac)
4.I know the minimun amount of time is 2 hours for on calls. What if your physically incapable of making that train because lets say you live at fordam station and they want you to report to port javis in nj? the train alone from penn station to port jarvis is almost 2 hours. do they
call you a little more in advance or is it just it is what it is?
MNCR does not work the Port Jervis line, NJT does, no MNCR operational personal, other than flag man and signal maintainer.
the contractual time for a call is 2 hours, if you live in Fordham you can make it anywhere on MNCR in 2 hours.
it gets tougher if you work in GCT and live in Brewster or further north.