• MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by HalMallon

The other day, I received notification to attend the MNRR Assistant Conductor testing/orientation session scheduled for next week at NWP.

As the testing and orientation seems covered by others' post, I have some other questions that have come to mind:

For this orientation, is wearing a suit a better idea or would collared shirt/dress pants be OK?

Specifically for MNRR, is there a minimum retirement age? Is there a maximum retirement age? I am 41...am I expected to retire by a certain age?... like Air Traffic Controllers or Airline Pilots...

As an Assistant Conductor/Conductor, is one eligble to promote up to Engineer? Based on the job listings I've read, LIRR is willing to take applicants off the street for the Engineer training program, while MNRR only hires experienced engineers from other RRs.

What is covered in the physical agilities test?

Thanks in advance!

P-
  by DutchRailnut

as for dresscode always dress to impress.
on MNCr there is no minimum retirement age but to get max credit for retirement you need 30 years.
to qualify for RR retirement you need 10 years, there is no max age for retirement, we got engineers over 70 .

As for promotion to Engineer, there is no requirement, other than that you need to be in same craft for minimum of one year.
  by HalMallon

According to the information packet sent to me, Assistant Conductors can be furloughed at any time. Does that happen often? Especially right out of training?
  by DutchRailnut

no MNCR has been pretty good , only furloughs were in track dept and a few years back in engineers classes.
But lately no one has been furloughed.
  by HalMallon

Slightly off topic, there was a thread a few months back about the duties of a Conductor. The thread was started by some jokester looking to stir up trouble...about how Conductors don't do anything, sit around and read the newspaper, just lift tickets and open doors, etc...

I've done a search for it and cannot find it. If anyone remembers where it is, pls let me know. If I recall correctly, the responses were pretty good about exactly what a Conductor's responsibilities are!

Thanks!

P-
  by RearOfSignal

Chances are that topic may have been deleted if it got to heated. The duties of Ass't Conductor for MNR are pretty much what the packet says. Collect revenue, assist in operating doors, throwing switches, putting trains together in the yards, working safely, etc.
  by Steamboat Willie

When you get to the panel interview, they will ask you what the responsibilities of an assistant conductor are. Like RoS said, it is exactly what is printed on the AC FAQ guide.

I know this topic pertains to the overview part of hiring, but to further add; the panel interview it is consisted of 3 people. The recruiter, someone from the training department, and someone from operations. They each have a packet of questions and each one of them takes turns questioning you. Your responce is documented by all 3 of them. Questions vary from situational questions you must listen to and give your responce. This is to guage how you would prioritize things.

They also ask you about how you bettered your employer in the past, past experience of resolving a conflict with 2 people whether it be professional or personal. Safety related questions will also be asked as well. Why you want to work for MNRR will also be asked. The general responce for this question is like any other related RR interview you read on here. It is a stable job that can provide for your family along with the great benefits. Mention how you would like to spend the rest of your career with them as well as you like the variety of the job.

You will be able to ask them questions at the end about the company and or job. This is your time to display your interest even further. Ask them how long the training period is, what it is dependant on, how the list works and how big it currently is. The training department representative will answer your questions with the recruiter documenting down your responce.

The interviews are usually conducted at Madison Ave and last between 30-40mins. Make sure to dress to impress as someone mentioned before hand. Suit is recommended as you are going for a uniform position. Make sure to get there early as well to make a good impression.

They said they want to put foward classes in December and January.
  by HalMallon

Assuming all goes well this Thursday, how soon should I expect to hear back regarding reporting for the physical as well as the interview?
  by RearOfSignal

About two weeks for the test results, interview and PAT probably a few weeks after that.
  by Steamboat Willie

I got my notification about passing the entrance exam 3 weeks after I took it. Background check was conducted almost immediately. About 2 weeks later I got notified about the panel interview with 5 days notice.
  by HalMallon

I attended the orientation and test on Thursday morning. Approximately 25 people attended; one person showed up very late, about a half hour.

Most attendees were dressed down, only a handful were "dressed to impress". Some attendees were current MNRR employees, some were other MTA agency employees.

The nature of the extras list and the need to be available 24/7 was stressed...be prepared to not have a social life, the support of family, etc...

The tests was indeed standard HS math, vocabulary and physics. Not too difficult, but the timed nature of the tests added to the stress a bit.

HR stated that a December class was expected, another class in February. The opening of the Yankee Stadium station was stated as the need for new ACs.

Despite HR stressing having the application completed BEFORE arrival, only 4 people (myself included) had done so. However, at the end of the session, HR allowed any missing info to be filled in.
  by Spoolhead

Hal,
I was there last Thursday. How do you think you did?
I was also one of the one's who came "dressed to impress", and I did notice that most of the folks wore some part of their pajamas when they came for the test. Appearently they didn't think they were going to need to be dressed well when going for a job! They probably don't think they are ever going to meet any of the HR people again, so why get all dressed up.
One thing I have to say was I was one of the people who had their application and all paperwork completed before I arrived, (actually the week before) however I was one of the ones who had to check back with the HR lady before leaving. The question I did not answer was "Are you on probation or parole?" in the criminal history section. Well, I have never been arrested, so why would I have to answer if I'm on probation or parole? She didn't seem to have an answer except that that's what they always ask. Oh well!
I thought the test was pretty challenging, and I am sure several in the room didn't pass, but we will have to wait and see.
Good Luck and I hope to meet you someday along the way to our next career!
Spoolhead
  by HalMallon

I think I did OK. I am sure I aced the vocabulary and math sections. My HS physics is a little rusty, so I may have messed up on that section a little.

Hopefully, I hear some good news within the next 2 weeks or so!
  by LIRailfan79

I am not on Probation or Parole so i would just check "No". when asked if i was.
  by HalMallon

I need some clarification with regard to the extra list...

When one is on the extra list, are you on it for the whole day or certain hours of that day?

For example, you are on the extra list for Friday of this week. Are you told to be available from, say 12 noon to 12 midnight? Or can you be called anytime on Friday, say 3 AM. 3 AM Friday is still Friday.

Going further, say you get called at 6 PM on Friday for a job. Yet, you are already assigned for a job on Saturday to start at 1 AM. If the jobs end up conflicting, what takes priority? How is the conflict resolved?

One more thing (assuming all goes well and I get hired on to MNRR as an AC...) I do have a concern about reporting to work on time for a list job. I live in Southeast and as far as I can tell, I live within an OK commute of all the crew bases with the exception of GCT. Is that the case, or am I misunderstanding the requirements of the list?