Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoAL

I looked at some info I have and one diagram of MP from the LIRR shows both turntables there as 80ft. I guess whoever from the LIRR put together that packet of info I have used a diagram drawn from someone who assumed both turntables were the same size which is obviously wrong. The 90ft length is probably right.

by scopelliti

Still looking for info on the transfer table. Or should I say "tables"! I never realized that there were two. When did they go out of use? From Google Earth it appears that the western one was taken out first.

Looks like the western one serviced wheel storage, and the electric car shop. The eastern one serviced the locomotive and machine shop. Between the two was the paint shop and car shop. Did both tables service these?

by Dave Keller

Morris Park Shops had only ONE turntable, servicing the roundhouse, south of the Montauk branch when viewing the complex on a map.

The other turntable was on the north side of the Montauk branch at the Richmond Hill Storage Yard, slightly east of the MPS one.

Dave

by scopelliti

Dave, I think you misread my posting. I said "transfer" table, not turntable. According to the drawings I'm viewing at Morris Park (both in 1952 and 1973) there were two transfer tables.

by Dave Keller

You're right . . . . you DID say "transfer tables."

Sorry! Suffering from Turkey hangover! :wink:

Yes, there were 2 transfer tables!!

Dave

by Legio X

What's the latest with the transfer table at Morris Park?

by Dave Keller

The westernmost transfer table operated between the MU Truck Shop/Armature Rooms building and the Passenger Car Shop building. This structure was actually one building in the shape of a "U" with elongated legs. The transfer table here serviced tracks #2 thru #22 in the MU Truck Shop/Armature Rooms building and tracks #8 thru #33 in the Passenger Car Shop building as well as tracks #1 thru 9 in the yard on the north side of the building close to the embankment of the Montauk branch.

The easternmost transfer table was located between the Passenger Car Shop building and the Diesel/Locomotive/Machine Shop building. The table serviced tracks #1 thru #33 in the passenger car shop building and tracks #12 thru #25 in the Diesel/Locomotive/Machine Shop building. Tracks #1 thru #11 in this building were removed years earlier (date unavailable).

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

Pat:

Hope this sufficiently answers your question of which table serviced which building. :-D

I can send you a photocopy of the track layout indicating this if you're interested. Contact me off-forum at [email protected]

Dave