Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MACTRAXX

MW,Dave and all: Good shots! Huntington as mentioned is now a "city" of parking garages and newer structures surrounding the depot building. When the LIRR was rebuilding and replacing all the wooden and blacktop high level platforms,Huntington was one of the last if not the last to be replaced with new concrete platforms. The LIRR accomplished this by rebuilding each platform in a quad manner: south side E end than W end than N side E than W end. The glass murals are a nice touch also. I used to ride the train from Smithtown occasionally and I remember that well also. Before the Port Jefferson branch got its high level platforms in the 80s only Bay Shore had high level platforms in all-diesel territory along with Richmond Hill on the old Montauk branch. When Hicksville was built and opened in the early 60s it was the busiest station in all-diesel territory to have high platforms-electrification did not begin until 1970-71. Memories and observations from MACTRAXX

by Dave Keller

Before the Port Jefferson branch got its high level platforms in the 80s only Bay Shore had high level platforms in all-diesel territory
Your statement would give Bay Shore high-levels prior to the mid-'80s. When did Bay Shore get high-levels? I don't remember that at all. And for what reason? I understand Richmond Hill and Hicksville because they were grade eliminations . . . but Bay Shore?

Anyone?

Dave

by MACTRAXX

Dave: I wonder myself why BS got high-level platforms so early-1982 I believe. I recall to construct the continuous 12-car platforms a grade crossing just west of the depot had to be closed. The platforms go as far W as the site of the LILCO gas tanks-which came down themselves in the 80s. MACTRAXX

by Long island Joe

Photo of Greenport 7/85

by MACTRAXX

Good GPT shot-you will never see a train of that length out there again! The maximum I recall seeing is 3 C3 cars for a prime summer train. MACTRAXX