Railroad Forums 

• MOM Rail Service

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#558077  by CJPat

I love it. Throw it right back in their faces.

Now I found this to be an interesting quote from the article
"This line, originally constructed in 1852 through central New Jersey, links southern Middlesex County (near Princeton corridor) with eastern Monmouth County, including Allaire State Park. The Planning Guide recommends the development of passenger service from Middlesex County to Allaire State Park, with a stop at Monmouth Battlefield."
Are they implying that they want to restore the diamond at Farmingdale and restore the line atleast back to to Allaire State Park (and would that imply running the line allthe way back to Sea Girt??).
 #558091  by Jtgshu

Yea, I caught that too.....

That was interesting

It would be successful and would link the Shore with the "rest" of the state. Its amazing how hard it is to get to and from eastern Monmouth County to the rest of the state.

However, I doubt that it would happen, any time soon, unless Monmouth County (and Ocean County) say "the hell with NJT" and build the line themselves and basically force Middlesex County to build the line because of the political pressure.

Which at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Monmouth and Ocean counties do start to take some things on themselves. The Red Bank and Matawan routes are entirely in Monmouth and Ocean counties............
 #558111  by CJPat

I know the proper thing is to start another thread to discuss the Allaire connection and if any other interest develops, perhaps we will. But for this moment I will just state that I don't know how Monmouth would project connecting to Allaire without going all the way to Sea Girt. And we did briefly discuss this in a previous thread, but i just can't imagine getting the track reinstalled thru Manasquan.
 #558127  by Tom V

My uncle (who's in his late 60s) grew up in Long Branch/Elberon, he told me of visits to doctors in Philadelphia via the train from Long Branch. He said they took the PRR from Long Branch through Freehold and Jamesburg to the Northeast Corridor, and then South from there to Philadelphia. Was there such service?

I would love to see passenger rail service restored from Monmouth jct all the way to the Shore.
 #558147  by CJPat

Tom V wrote:He said they took the PRR from Long Branch through Freehold and Jamesburg to the Northeast Corridor, and then South from there to Philadelphia. Was there such service?
This topic has been discussed on several threads.

This is just one of them http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... t=sea+girt

In fact the Black River & Western has the actual old PRR "Doodlebug" in Ringoes that ran the line from Sea Girt to Trenton. We really should re-establish an East-West rail line (other than the ACL).
 #558515  by ApproachMedium

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/edi ... 5196.story

If you think NJ is the only one with problems, think again. Apparently the EPA is rabid in slowing down much needed commuter rail projects around the northeast for silly enviromental impact studies. Some interesting info in the article about a possable wavier on these studies if previous rail lines existed. Check it out.
 #559079  by NJTRailfan

Most Environmental Impact studies are a bunch of BS in my opinion. All they do is hold up progress and help pollute the world alot more. I don't hear people screaming on top of their lungs for environmental impact studies when highways are being expanded, Wal Marts and Strip Malls being built or even those condo developments yet our Big Oil backed President, the do nothing Congress and NIMBYS want to place one hurdle after the other on commuter rail. I blame these morons for the increased pollution, increased congestion on our highways and back roads as well groups that are supposed to look out for passenger rail but decides to play Benadict Arnold. (Yes I'm refering to you Siera Club and EPA!!!) Who needs the Oil rich Sheiks and ExxonMoble when the Sierra Club and EPA messes up the works time and time again. It just makes me wonder if the guys incharge of those two organziations are on the take.
 #559098  by jb9152

NJTRailfan wrote:Most Environmental Impact studies are a bunch of BS in my opinion. All they do is hold up progress and help pollute the world alot more. I don't hear people screaming on top of their lungs for environmental impact studies when highways are being expanded, Wal Marts and Strip Malls being built or even those condo developments yet our Big Oil backed President, the do nothing Congress and NIMBYS want to place one hurdle after the other on commuter rail. I blame these morons for the increased pollution, increased congestion on our highways and back roads as well groups that are supposed to look out for passenger rail but decides to play Benadict Arnold. (Yes I'm refering to you Siera Club and EPA!!!) Who needs the Oil rich Sheiks and ExxonMoble when the Sierra Club and EPA messes up the works time and time again. It just makes me wonder if the guys incharge of those two organziations are on the take.
Wow, this is just a morass. First of all, EISs are not required unless you're getting federal money to build your megaproject. So privately-constructed Walmarts, "strip malls", and condos are not covered, although there may be separate requirements to obtain permits (OK by planning commission, traffic studies, etc.). Second, our "Big Oil backed President" has nothing to do with the requirement to prepare an EIS. That came out of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969. If you're wondering, Dick Nixon was president at that time. The "do nothing Congress" (I agree, at least in principle, on that characterization) also did not place that burden, as I don't believe any of them were in office when NEPA was passed.

I guess I understand your frustration, but the EIS is not the reason why MOM isn't built. It's politics. You'd be better served and appear at least a little informed if your rants had a basis in reality, and a recognition of where the actual problem is.
 #560118  by Don31

NJTRailfan wrote:Most Environmental Impact studies are a bunch of BS in my opinion. All they do is hold up progress and help pollute the world alot more. I don't hear people screaming on top of their lungs for environmental impact studies when highways are being expanded, Wal Marts and Strip Malls being built or even those condo developments yet our Big Oil backed President, the do nothing Congress and NIMBYS want to place one hurdle after the other on commuter rail. I blame these morons for the increased pollution, increased congestion on our highways and back roads as well groups that are supposed to look out for passenger rail but decides to play Benadict Arnold. (Yes I'm refering to you Siera Club and EPA!!!) Who needs the Oil rich Sheiks and ExxonMoble when the Sierra Club and EPA messes up the works time and time again. It just makes me wonder if the guys incharge of those two organziations are on the take.
HUH????? I don't even know how to respond to this........
 #578528  by radioboy

In the Southern Secondary thread over in NJ Railfan, OCTrainguy pointed out the line is now out of service past MP60 due to a car striking the rails and moving them in Lakewood. Repair plans aren't on the table yet. Will they ever be? What might this mean for MOM's future?
 #578666  by Kaback9

radioboy wrote:In the Southern Secondary thread over in NJ Railfan, OCTrainguy pointed out the line is now out of service past MP60 due to a car striking the rails and moving them in Lakewood. Repair plans aren't on the table yet. Will they ever be? What might this mean for MOM's future?
If they are to go through with MOM the tracks would probably be replaced seeing as how the rail in some places is not in the greatest shape.
 #582099  by R36 Combine Coach

MOM service to Toms River might be possible as well. Service could be extended east from Lakehurst along the CNJ Toms River Branch. Interestingly, the NJT Toms River bus park/ride off the Parkway is next to the CNJ ROW, making it even more possible. But the remaining two miles of track east of Ciba Geigy is missing. However Toms River would be a good terminal due to its large and growing population and location (being a regional park/ride).
 #582114  by firthorfifth06

I agree, R36! At least I'm not alone on that thought, however, there is really no space for a yard at Toms River. My thought was to have trains terminate at Lakehurst (where there is ample room for a yard south of town) and have passengers transfer to DMU to go to Toms River (that way the shuttle could layover at the station).
 #582145  by PullmanCo

R36 Combine Coach wrote:MOM service to Toms River might be possible as well
No. Never was part of the plan. On top of that, they are rail-trailing the CNJ branch to Toms River.
 #582200  by radioboy

PullmanCo wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:MOM service to Toms River might be possible as well
No. Never was part of the plan. On top of that, they are rail-trailing the CNJ branch to Toms River.
No, they're rail trailing the CNJ branch from Toms River to Barnegat. As of right now there are no plans to do anything with the branch between Lakehurst and Toms River. A small group lead by Al Stokley and company has had service from Lakehurst to Toms River as part of their push. Really, it makes much more sense considering the unused but intact ROW, population of Toms River vs Lakehurst, and proximity of the TR Bus Terminal to the parkway. But, there's also grade crossings through entrances of several senior developments on the western part of 37, so good luck with that I'd say.