Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

This is a MNCR sponsored trip and not by an outside organisation

On September 12th, Metro-North Railroad will operate a company-sponsored fantrip via a circle route from Grand Central to Beacon, Danbury and return.
Rare mileage traversed will be the former New Haven RR Beacon Branch between Beacon, NY and Hopewell Jct., NY and the former NH Maybrook Line from Hopewell Jct. to Danbury, CT. Here are the details:

Metro-North will operate a rare mileage fantrip over the Beacon Line,

including a stopover at the Danbury Railway Museum on Sunday, September

12. You will also have the oportunity to ride (for first class fare) in

one of the ex Phoebie-Snow observation cars now used by the railroad

president.

=============================

Sept. 12, SUN: MTA Metro-North Beacon Line Railfan Trip, departing Grand Central Terminal (GCT) at 8:45 AM and traveling along the former New York Central's scenic Hudson Line to Beacon, NY. From Beacon, the trip will run east to Danbury, CT, via the little used former New Haven RR Maybrook Line. The line passes through Beacon, Fishkill, Hopewell Junction and along Whaley Lake in Dutchess County. The trip will include a stop at the Danbury Railway Museum. On its return to Grand Central, the train will travel south on the Danbury Branch, then west on the New Haven mainline to GCT, arriving at 6:30 PM. The 200 mile trip will include photo stops and runbys. Fare includes a commemorative ticket, an official souvenir timetable and a box lunch. Tickets by reservation only.

Fare: adults $75, child (11 and under) $55. Limited First Class seating

is available in two of the former Erie Lackawanna Phoebe Snow
observation cars for $175. For tickets and information:

Metro-North Group Travel, 420 Lexington Ave., 9th Fl., New York, NY 10017.

Telephone: 212-499-4398, or e-mail: [email protected]
[/b]

by DutchRailnut

At the same adress you can ask about the soon to be held "Farewell to the
1100's trip". sponsored by MNCR.

by njt4172

Now, I posted this same damn article about the special trip and it was removed by Otto.........Why are you able to post it without having it removed?? Is it because you work for the railroad???

Steve

by DutchRailnut

Nope I explained to Otto that its already posted on 8 other site's and was released by a MNCR official.
They have been taking bookings and it would be a shame to have our readers/chatters miss out because someone(no Identification) does not want this posted.

by KFRG

Dutch,
What's this about a "Farewell to the 1100's trip"? Details please....

-Tom

by DutchRailnut

I personaly have no info but people who ordered tickets for the rare mileage trip were informed that a 1100 ACMU trip was in the works. for info call the MNCR number.

Telephone: 212-499-4398, or e-mail: [email protected]

by KFRG

Sounds great! I am still debating whether I should buy a ticket on this Beacon line fan trip.

-Tom

by Otto Vondrak

njt4172- you can ask *me* why the post was removed, not Dutch. Dutch and I seem to have conflicting information. He is acting on the information he was provided, I am acting on the information I was provided - which was that the trip was not announced yet and was not made official. No harm no foul. If you think I'm a jerk, you can tell me so when you see me on this train! :-)

-otto-

by njt4172

Otto,

Yo, easy there killer! I never said you were a jerk! I actually met you at Denville 2 years ago for the Lincoln Park days and you seemed like a really nice guy! You just come off on these forums as a little abrasive, but no harm done. I'm sure as administrator you are a very busy man!!!! I will be in Rochester this Saturday is there anyway I can get a tour of the DL&W Mu car?

Thanks,
Steve

by Terminal Proceed

So who from this forum is going? I will be going for one. Anyone else?

PS - who is going first class & who in coach?
  by Noel Weaver

Thinking about it but it is a long ride up from Florida to do it and it is a bad
weekend to travel (9-11 etc), still have not decided. Used to work this
line sometimes, it would bring back a lot of memories.
Noel Weaver

by Otto Vondrak

I'm going! I've missed too many of these trips in the past, and I'd like to do this one.

-otto-
  by eddiebear

If you can do, go. I attended NRHS Convention in Stamford, July 2002 and one of the trips covered most of the mileage but in reverse direction.
Stamford-So. Norwalk-Danbury with a meet on the way, Danbury Museum, then Maybrook route to Hopewell Jct. with photo stop and runby, Beacon Branch, Hudson Line to Spuyten Duyvil and MO then back to Stamford. Only difference was it was a mid-week day and there was a lot of activity everywhere except from Danbury to Beacon.

Metro North Police flagged all the xings to keep us on the move.

Do it if you can.

by JoeG

I'm going on this trip. I couldn't afford First Class, so I'm going in Coach.

by Otto Vondrak

Ahhh... but can we be assured that F's will be on this trip?? The future of the F-unit fleet is in doubt, it appears.

-otto-