Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

yup they got wrong speeds on that poster its 25 pass and 10 freight :-)

by Otto Vondrak

Is that photo used in the poster supposed to be the connection at Dykemans?

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

actualy yes your right Otto that is Dykemans , so the speeds from there are right as depicted in picture.
the 25/10 is west of dykemans.

by jhdeasy

mncommuter wrote:
only 20 seats were left in each of the two obs. cars.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these cars don't have too many seats to begin with.

Here is Dave Keller's July 1974 interior shot of one of the two tavern - lounge - observation cars when it was in parlor car service as LIRR 2082 ASHAROKEN. MTA and Metro North may have made some interior modifications in the 30 years since this photo was taken.

by DutchRailnut

There were only 30 seats available in each observation car (60 total)
I wonder how rest of sales are going, specialy if loop in Danbury is still out of service ??
Only 6 cars and two engines fit between link switch and the stopsign/ties at start of loop. its getting towards time to find out if trip is filled or not.

by DutchRailnut

Due to two derailments with Genesis engines,and a coach were the coach derailed due to a design flaw in genesis. a modification is being worked on and loop is rebuilt with welded rail.

by ATK

What is this design flaw that you speak of?

by DutchRailnut

The square box over coupler, traps the buffer plate while going around the loop. so coach after going on straight is pushed off the rails. the box size is to be either enlarged or a plate needs to be fitted.

by ATK

You mean that stupid black bumper above the coupler? I would hardly call that a "design flaw". I'm sure the boys over at Harmon should be able to rectify that situation.

by LI Loco

DutchRailnut wrote:200 mile trip for $75 ?? that comes to 2.66666 cents per mile , kind of cheap since official mileage expenses for cars is 36 cents per mile ??
and a vist to a museum is part of it ..
its not going to get any cheaper not now or in future
Better check your math, Dutch. 200 miles divided by $75 is 37.5 cents per mile, putting the cost for this trip in line with Northeast Corridor fares.

I rode the Beacon live about six years ago on a trip sponsored by LIST-NRHS. We had LIRR P-72 coaches hauled by 3 MP-15s. If you haven't covered it, its worth adding to your mileage collection.

by chuchubob

LI Loco wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:200 mile trip for $75 ?? that comes to 2.66666 cents per mile , kind of cheap since official mileage expenses for cars is 36 cents per mile ??
and a vist to a museum is part of it ..
its not going to get any cheaper not now or in future
Better check your math, Dutch. 200 miles divided by $75 is 37.5 cents per mile, putting the cost for this trip in line with Northeast Corridor fares.
You should both check your math. 200 miles divided by $75 is 2.66 miles per dollar.

$75 divided by 200 miles is 37.5 cents per mile.

by LI Loco

Aaargh! :(

by DutchRailnut

Hmm you rode that trip too LIloco. so did I but in the front seat :-)
http://community.webshots.com/photo/130 ... 6162pChEVJ

by mainline

Dutch was the engineer on that trip. It definitely was a scenic trip. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate.