Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

J hogger wrote:Isn't there a difference when a 20-30 yr old locomotive breaks down compared to a 5-6 yr old locomotive breaking down?
Yes there is, but the MP's weren't intended to replace the F40's, they were supposed to replace most of the C's, and provide additional power for service expansions. And while that's been accomplished (barely), you're right about the F40's getting tired, but newer power to replace them is likely going to have to wait, since Metra has made getting newer cars for the electric district a top priority when (if?) the next funding package arrives. That's understandable, but it may come with a price of reduced overall reliability with the diesel equipment, which won't improve until the rebuilds are done.

But to get back on topic (sort of), I wonder if these officials who were "embarrassed" to let the C's run more regularly are the same ones that let Amtrak 7 suffer behind a Metra 2121 running at a reduced load. Wouldn't be surprised...
  by Metra 47 607

doepack wrote:
J hogger wrote:
But to get back on topic (sort of), I wonder if these officials who were "embarrassed" to let the C's run more regularly are the same ones that let Amtrak 7 suffer behind a Metra 2121 running at a reduced load. Wouldn't be surprised...
Those are in fact the same officials indeed. The F40Cs never had the constant breakdown issues that the MP have and will allways have. Sure they did fail occasionaly but dosent everything. The MPs are a totally diffrent story. 611 and 614 and all the F40PHs are a lot more relibale than the MP ever will be. I belive that Metra is embarrassed that a 34 year old locomotive is more reliable than a 6 year old one.
  by F40CFan

421 is still sitting at on track 3 at Union Station. It was there last night and it is there this morning. It is not running. I guess its not the protection power. Maybe its waiting for the scrapper.
  by Illinifan

F40CFan wrote:421 is still sitting at on track 3 at Union Station. It was there last night and it is there this morning. It is not running. I guess its not the protection power. Maybe its waiting for the scrapper.
How about donating the thing to a museum? Would any railroad museum consider taking one of the 400s for their display? :P
Last edited by Illinifan on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by F40CFan

Illinifan wrote:How about donating the thing a museum? Would any railroad museum consider taking one of the 400s for their display? :P
It would probably have to be a museum that could store it indoors. From what I've been told, the "boom-boxes" are already starting to rust.
  by metra613

Hello all, I am a bus driver for the cta. Just like with the 400s on metra our new buses made by new flyer are allmost as bad. The ones i drive we made in 2006 and there have rust on them in just 3 years. the older buses we have are 1991s and 1995s they are good very good buses. To me i think that the stuff made now is made fast, and then dont care how its made as long as they get the bid.
  by doepack

doepack wrote:
EricL wrote:Even after 2121 got going, it still would have been prudent to let 7 get around it, but just take it up further to either: a) Morton Grove, probably causing a small delay to the already late 2121 while 7 dwelled at Glenview; or b) A-20, probably causing a small delay for 2140 at Northbrook. Either delay would have been minor in comparison to the extra 20-minute hit that #7 took by dragging behind 2121 all the way to Rondout. But then, there are certain people at Metra who refuse to let their precious scoots be delayed even one second by Amtrak
Unbelievable. So you're saying that the C&M dispatcher wasn't authorized to move 7 around 2121 at Morton Grove or A20 even though it's his railroad north of A5? I didn't know Metra had that kind of authority, despite the fact that Amtrak trains are supposed to get to priority, but apparently, this isn't always the case
Need to make a little correction here. Confirmed today via a reliable source that Metra, not CP, owns the trackage between A5 & Rondout, with CP & regional WSOR having trackage rights within this segment. Even though the entire route from A5 to Milwaukee is dispatched from Minneapolis by CP, their actual ownership of the line takes over north of Rondout, not A5 as I previously stated. So yes, Metra actually DID have the authority to spike Amtrak like they did, even if it was a questionable move at best...
  by Metra 47 607

I am aware that Metra owns the Milwaukee north line from Canal St to Rondout but it is ran by CP timetable and rules and the CP has dispatching authority Metra does not
  by F40CFan

Metra 47 607 wrote:I am aware that Metra owns the Milwaukee north line from Canal St to Rondout but it is ran by CP timetable and rules and the CP has dispatching authority Metra does not
I'm wondering, since Metra owns the line, maybe the CP dispatcher has orders from them to give them preference. Or perhaps if a problem occurs, they are required to contact Metra for instructions. Otherwise, I don't think the CP dispatcher would give a rodents rectum which passenger train gets spiked as long as the freight keeps moving. This is just pure speculation.