• MARC/VRE Inauguration Day Service

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Literalman

VRE is running a modified version of its regular commuter schedule, except that those of us who don't get a paid holiday have to buy a $25 ticket if we want to take the train to work. Two of the trains arrive in Washington before sunrise (which is 7:22 on Jan. 20). I can't believe that VRE is going to sell a lot of $25 round trips on commuter schedules, with the last train arriving almost three hours before the swearing-in. The weather may not be nice either.
  by realtype

Literalman wrote:VRE is running a modified version of its regular commuter schedule, except that those of us who don't get a paid holiday have to buy a $25 ticket if we want to take the train to work. Two of the trains arrive in Washington before sunrise (which is 7:22 on Jan. 20). I can't believe that VRE is going to sell a lot of $25 round trips on commuter schedules, with the last train arriving almost three hours before the swearing-in. The weather may not be nice either.
ditto...
WMATAGMOAGH wrote:And now WMATA is considering charging rush hour rates on January 20: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=57595
I actually assumed that tey were already going to have peak fares. And to me it makes sense; they can't run Red Line trains every 2 minutes from opening to closing and be charging off-peak. Its still a bargain compared to MARC ($4.50 each way compared to $25 RT on MARC). I'll still take MARC then switch to Metro in DC or walk, unless they charge the off-peak fares.

I think they should keep the free parking though. Half the people parking at the stations on I-day won't even half Smartrip cards.

btw Thanks for the heads up about the Capitol.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

WMATA intends to charge for parking because they are going to have a private operator help out for a day and wants people using the lots to help cover those costs. However, people will be able to pay with cash.

We'll know more on Thursday after the Board Meeting.
  by davinp

VRE's Fredericksburg mid-day train which normally leaves DC at 12:55PM will leave almost one hour later on Inauguration Day at 1:45PM. The Manassas mid-day train will leave only 15 minutes later than normal.
  by realtype

davinp wrote:VRE's Fredericksburg mid-day train which normally leaves DC at 12:55PM will leave almost one hour later on Inauguration Day at 1:45PM. The Manassas mid-day train will leave only 15 minutes later than normal.
I just realized VRE is operating basically the exact same service with the same train numbers. Why are doing that??? It makes no sense to run normal service, when hardly anyone is commuting. They need to spread out their train service like what MARC did (every twenty min.), instead of condensing all their service into one or two hours.
  by davinp

VRE has changed it's mind and will allow customers with monthly tickets to use them on Inauguration Day:

We have received some comments from our regular riders about how we chose to implement our Inauguration Day plans. Initially, we figured that with so many public AND private companies closing down that day that demand would be even less than on Inauguration Day's in the past. As a result, we have modified our plans for Monthly ticket holders only. Next week, we will post a form on our website that Monthly ticket holders who are required to work on January 20 can use to request tickets at no additional cost.
  by realtype

davinp wrote:VRE has changed it's mind and will allow customers with monthly tickets to use them on Inauguration Day:

We have received some comments from our regular riders about how we chose to implement our Inauguration Day plans. Initially, we figured that with so many public AND private companies closing down that day that demand would be even less than on Inauguration Day's in the past. As a result, we have modified our plans for Monthly ticket holders only. Next week, we will post a form on our website that Monthly ticket holders who are required to work on January 20 can use to request tickets at no additional cost.
Good call. I take it the trains will no longer be "reserved" now?
  by peconicstation

The special $25.00 round trips tickets for MARC Inauguration Day service went on sale yesterday (12/20), any reports on how their selling ??
The MARC website has listed the in-person points where you can buy tickets as well as a weblink to buy them on-line.

MARC also said it would be posting warning signs at the stations that will NOT have service on Inauguration Day.

Ken
  by CHIP72

Sand Box John wrote:Crowds will not likely be as large as previously predicted

Inauguration Day Crowd Estimate Reduced by Half

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 22, 2008
It should be noted those crowds are still expected to be more than twice as large as the largest previous inauguration crowd. The crowd will probably be in the 2 million range.
  by realtype

peconicstation wrote:The special $25.00 round trips tickets for MARC Inauguration Day service went on sale yesterday (12/20), any reports on how their selling ??
The MARC website has listed the in-person points where you can buy tickets as well as a weblink to buy them on-line.

MARC also said it would be posting warning signs at the stations that will NOT have service on Inauguration Day.

Ken
All tickets on MARC trains are currently sold out, but according to the MTA there are still some left for MTA Commuter Bus.
  by davinp

VRE still has tickets left, but they are going fast. So, buy yours ASAP.

VRE trains will not stop at Franconia/Springfield, Alexandria or Crystal City as they are severed by METRO.
  by davinp

VRE Inauguration Day Ticket Update:
Walk-In Ticket Sales Available 7:00am - 7:00pm at our Alexandria Office
Mail-In Ticket Requests Will Require Extra Fee for Express Delivery
See our Inauguration Day Page for Details
  by walt

realtype wrote:
peconicstation wrote:The special $25.00 round trips tickets for MARC Inauguration Day service went on sale yesterday (12/20), any reports on how their selling ??

All tickets on MARC trains are currently sold out, but according to the MTA there are still some left for MTA Commuter Bus.
MTA is running special shuttle buses from several Maryland locations to specified WMATA Metrorail stations at 30 minute intervals between 4:00am and 8:30am inbound and 4:00pm-9:00pm outbound. ( ie Columbia- Greenbelt; Frederick-Shady Grove; Kent Island- New Carrollton, etc.) The fare is $10.00 for a round trip, and you can buy tickets on the bus ( you must have exact change). DC Metro fare is in addition to the bus fare.