• MARC/VRE Inauguration Day Service

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Kaback9

WMATAGMOAGH wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:I still think daily riders are getting bummed here, they should not have to pay for a ticket down since they already bought a pass, I think at the least they could get it cheaper, b/c I'm sure some of those folks will be heading to the inaguration.
I think they should allow passholders to receive free reservations. The reservations should be needed to access the trains themselves, but passholders shouldn't have to pay anymore than they would otherwise.
That works too!
  by realtype

WMATAGMOAGH wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:I still think daily riders are getting bummed here, they should not have to pay for a ticket down since they already bought a pass, I think at the least they could get it cheaper, b/c I'm sure some of those folks will be heading to the inaguration.
I think they should allow passholders to receive free reservations. The reservations should be needed to access the trains themselves, but passholders shouldn't have to pay anymore than they would otherwise.
Basically the MTA is broke and wants to milk this one for all its worth...

EDIT: More Info on MARC/VRE service

MARC is selling tickets at $25 for a round trip!!! From where I live in Germantown, one way to DC is $5 ($10 RT), but $3.75 with my Student Advantage card. ($7.50 RT).
  by JMcDonald

Wonder whether that $25 ticket will be some sort of commemorative thing like METRO is supposedly doing.

If MARC is going to be running all of their equipment anyone care to speculate what, if any, unconventional stuff will be seen that day should one happen to find oneself trackside?
  by HokieNav

realtype wrote: Basically the MTA is broke and wants to milk this one for all its worth...
Strangely, I'm OK with it - anything to put money in the bank and keep the service levels where they're at (or at least as close as practical).

Of course, I'm also fortunate enough to be of the mind that they can bump up the everyday fares a little bit rather than cut service, but that's a discussion for another thread. ;)
  by realtype

JMcDonald wrote:If MARC is going to be running all of their equipment anyone care to speculate what, if any, unconventional stuff will be seen that day should one happen to find oneself trackside?
A MTA spokesman had earlier said that MARC would be "running everything we have," but MARC doesn't really have anything unconventional, aside from the few, much despised, gallery cars. I wonder if MARC could lease equipment from NJT to run for Inauguration Day.

I don't like the MTA's stance of "no standees." They do it everyday on peak trains, especially on the Penn Line. I think they should get as many people as possible downtown like Metro is doing, and extend their very limited hours as well.
HokieNav wrote: Of course, I'm also fortunate enough to be of the mind that they can bump up the everyday fares a little bit rather than cut service, but that's a discussion for another thread. ;)
You're not the only one. I been saying that from I got wind of this plan for these drastic, ridiculous cuts. I even sent the MTA an e-mail about why they wouldn't consider raising fares moderately (which hasn't been done seen I started taking MARC four years ago) instead of irresponsibly slashing trains. MARC ridership has not and will not go back to already high "pre crazy gas prices" levels.
  by cpontani

If you have crush capacity, you won't be able to collect fares. Even with special fares/reservations bought in advance, how do you make sure everybody is on the up-and-up, unless you have a clear aisle?

Forget NJT. Your best bet for quick and easy extra capicity into DC in the last morning would be to lease/borrow Septa's push/pull fleet. But they'd need to run them out of Union Station ASAP, as they'd be needed in Center City come 4:30 or so.
  by realtype

JMcDonald wrote:Wonder whether that $25 ticket will be some sort of commemorative thing like METRO is supposedly doing.
I guess the answer is yes:

UPDATE

BALTIMORE, Maryland (Maryland Transit Administration)--Although MARC Train and Commuter Bus Service will be offered for the Presidential Inauguration Celebration on Tuesday, January 20, 2009, only the special Commemorative Inaugural ticket will be honored for travel.

Information on when these special tickets will be available will be forthcoming.

Regular tickets valid for January 20, 2009, including that day on Monthly Passes that were previously issued or sold, either through Ticket-By-Mail, MTA, Amtrak, CommuterDirect.com or Commuter Store vendors or agents will NOT be good for travel on that day.

http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/story.a ... &catid=158
  by Jersey_Mike

Well this is a disappointment, instead of trying to step up and accommodate as many people as possible MARC is limiting service and trying to plug their budget deficit. The reserved ticket system just sounds like a loser. I just know they are going to under-book their trains and then what happens when people miss their train due to parking difficulties and whatnot. Where are people going to get these tickets from anyway? Mail? Last I checked out of towners don't have easy access to QuickTrak or Amtrak/MARC ticket booths, Also, what is with the 9am cutoff? The walk from Union Station to the mall is about 20 minutes. They should run to at least 10 or 11, especially to do cleanup of anyone who misses their reserved train. Oh, and MARC will have completely unused parking spots in Edgewood, Aberdeen, Perryville, etc forcing people to drive down into Baltimore or other close in stations. Honestly MARC should be serving the outer parts of its line even MORE. Folks in Bowie or Laurel at least have the option of getting to the Metro.

At least they have a plan that should avoid a SEPTA style meltdown.
  by JMcDonald

realtype wrote:
JMcDonald wrote:If MARC is going to be running all of their equipment anyone care to speculate what, if any, unconventional stuff will be seen that day should one happen to find oneself trackside?
A MTA spokesman had earlier said that MARC would be "running everything we have," but MARC doesn't really have anything unconventional, aside from the few, much despised, gallery cars. I wonder if MARC could lease equipment from NJT to run for Inauguration Day.
Yeah, "stuff" is vague. I should have been more specific since the roster is pretty homogeneous these days. When I wrote earlier I was thinking more along the lines of unusual (perhaps longer) consists, but I'd be happy if something atypical in terms of equipment popped up in a normal consist too.
  by davinp

On today's chat VRE made the following announcement about Inaugration Day Service:

Because this is special service, special reserved tickets will be sold. Regular VRE tickets will not be accepted. The schedule and procedures for riding that day will be posted on our web site tomorrow.
  by realtype

davinp wrote:On today's chat VRE made the following announcement about Inaugration Day Service:

Because this is special service, special reserved tickets will be sold. Regular VRE tickets will not be accepted. The schedule and procedures for riding that day will be posted on our web site tomorrow.
Same time MARC is releasing their info. If it wasn't for the storage yard in Ivy City VRE probably could have terminated service at L'Enfant.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

Jersey_Mike wrote:Well this is a disappointment, instead of trying to step up and accommodate as many people as possible MARC is limiting service and trying to plug their budget deficit. The reserved ticket system just sounds like a loser. I just know they are going to under-book their trains and then what happens when people miss their train due to parking difficulties and whatnot. Where are people going to get these tickets from anyway? Mail? Last I checked out of towners don't have easy access to QuickTrak or Amtrak/MARC ticket booths, Also, what is with the 9am cutoff? The walk from Union Station to the mall is about 20 minutes. They should run to at least 10 or 11, especially to do cleanup of anyone who misses their reserved train. Oh, and MARC will have completely unused parking spots in Edgewood, Aberdeen, Perryville, etc forcing people to drive down into Baltimore or other close in stations. Honestly MARC should be serving the outer parts of its line even MORE. Folks in Bowie or Laurel at least have the option of getting to the Metro.

At least they have a plan that should avoid a SEPTA style meltdown.
If you aren't on the security line by 9:30, there is a fairly decent chance you won't be making it to the other side of the checkpoint. I speak from experience.
  by Jersey_Mike

Most of the mall won't be a high security zone so you could probably navigate there within an hour.

I just realizes that the 9AM time is probably the time the last train leaves Baltimore (or wherever), which then means a 10AM arrival, which is reasonable.
  by davinp

While VRE hasn't posted Inaguartion Day details on their website, I found this on Washingtonpost.com:

Virginia Railway Express spokesman Mark Roeber says they'll be running a full slate of trains on Jan. 20, and that inauguration committees may try to send inauguration-bound buses to VRE stations rather than into the district.

Inauguration Day service is a departure for VRE, Roeper said, which has a ridership mostly made up of federal workers. Many government offices will be shut down for Inauguration Day.

With a normal passenger capacity and a slightly rejiggered schedule, Roeber said VRE hopes to relieve some of the congestion inauguration planners are expecting to lock down the city Jan. 20.

Each station's parking should be able to accomodate 25-100 buses along with normal traffic, Roeber said, and the trains each hold 1,200 passengers. The inauguration-goers would be delivered to L'Enfant and Union Station, and trains would run a bit later than normal to get them back to their buses after the ceremonies and parade.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/inaugu ... lling.html
  by realtype

The MTA has launched its Inauguration Day website:

http://mtamaryland.com/services/marc/in ... on-day.cfm

MARC Train Plans
Martin Luther King Holiday - January 19, 2009
MTA will offer regular MARC Train service on the Penn Line and limited "S" services on the Brunswick and Camden Lines. No reservations required. Regular fares will apply, and passes will be accepted. More...
Presidential Inaugural Ceremonies - January 20, 2009
MARC service will operate reserved trains on special schedules. Round trip tickets cost $25.00 (no regular MARC tickets will be accepted).
MARC Train service will operate inbound to Washington between 5:00am until 9:00am and outbound from 4:00pm until 9:00pm on all three lines (Penn, Camden and Brunswick). Penn Line service will not operate north of Baltimore's Penn Station. Passengers can board MARC Trains at selected stops along all the lines to and from Washington's Union Station.

Penn Line - 12 trains from Baltimore to Washington between 5am and 9am and then 12 trains from Washington to Baltimore between 4pm and 9pm
Camden Line - 7 trains from Baltimore to Washington between 6am and 10am and then 7 trains from Washington to Baltimore between 4pm and 9pm
Brunswick Line - 9 trains to Washington between 6am and 10am and then 9 trains from Washington between 4pm and 9pm

The schedule is pretty disappointing. Most trains will be "super-expresses" and very few MARC stations will be served, and only those located out of Metro range. Thankfully Germantown will still be served, even though its just down the road from Shady Grove. I wonder where they're going to find space to layover all of those trains, they'll probably have to deadhead some back to the outer terminals.