Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by kitn1mcc

on a side note the Contruction trailers for OandG and other are in place with temp power for the new building
  by Fred G

Tadman wrote:Otto, you up at 4a to watch trains?
You're not? :P
  by Clean Cab.

Scheduled delivery of the two remaining test pairs...........

9106/9107: Arrived in Baltimore 2/4, delayed by snow storm. Delivery in NH 3/5.

9100/9101: Will ship from Japan 2/24 and arrive in Baltimore 4/2 and in NH 4/20.

No further pairs will be shipped until test trains gathers enough data. Possible resumption of shipments, late fall 2010.
  by MNCRR9000

So once the two cars arrive in April does that mean they will begin to test run a full length train under it's own power?
Last edited by MNCRR9000 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

The subject is M-8's, not shop buildings
  by Clean Cab.

MNCRR9000 wrote:So once the two cars arrive in April does that mean they will begin to test run a full length train under it's own power?

Live testing is scheduled for June. Testing should last 4 to 6 months.
  by Train538

Clean Cab wrote:Scheduled delivery of the two remaining test pairs...........

9106/9107: Arrived in Baltimore 2/4, delayed by snow storm. Delivery in NH 3/5.

9100/9101: Will ship from Japan 2/24 and arrive in Baltimore 4/2 and in NH 4/20.

No further pairs will be shipped until test trains gathers enough data. Possible resumption of shipments, late fall 2010.
Wow 9100/9101 will hopefully be here by April 20th! That's a really long time from now. But at least to hear that 9106/9107 is on the move towards New Haven. Thanks!
  by E-44

Don't hold your breath if CSX is handling it.

Read the tale of NJT 1001's journey...
  by Clean Cab.

So far the M8's have had pretty good luck getting through the black hole of Selkirk. Time will tell how the other M8 pairs do navigating the maze of CSX.
  by Jeff Smith

I know the intitial cars (not just the test cars, but also once the assembly line starts running) will not have the over/under shoes. How is the development of those shoes progressing? Is it possible that they'll ship the first 300 (not including any option) cars without the shoes and then retro-fit?

It's not like they'll be of any use until they extend the LIRR third rail anyway, right?
  by Fred G

IMO those shoes should be low priority.
  by Jeff Smith

I agree, they should definitely be a low priority. I'm just wondering (uh-oh :wink: ) if there would be any market in an LIRR - Westchester/CT service. I wonder how many folks commute from or to Stamford and White Plains from the island. You'd avoid the "black hole" of PSNY then, wouldn't you? Of course, ESA would obviate the need by offering a convenient transfer point to and from the island (and yes, Dutch, I know ESA is a separate terminal!), as I said, I'm just wondering.
  by Ridgefielder

Sarge wrote:I agree, they should definitely be a low priority. I'm just wondering (uh-oh :wink: ) if there would be any market in an LIRR - Westchester/CT service. I wonder how many folks commute from or to Stamford and White Plains from the island. You'd avoid the "black hole" of PSNY then, wouldn't you? Of course, ESA would obviate the need by offering a convenient transfer point to and from the island (and yes, Dutch, I know ESA is a separate terminal!), as I said, I'm just wondering.
Doubt they're going to do this. There's no physical junction btw the westbound LIRR and the northbound New York Connecting, the lines are grade-separated, and the NYC is unpowered. The only way to get a train from Long Island up onto the Hell Gate with currrent infrastructure would be to change direction in the middle of Harold interlocking-- which is an experiment I doubt the LIRR is anxious to try.
  by Jeff Smith

Yeah, I see that now. Wasn't it powered in days of yore? In any case, with grade separation, it would be tough. I suppose you could stop at the proposed new Sunnyside station and change ends, or use that station as a transfer point for inbound Penn trains. Still, this is pure foam, I'm just hypothesizing and wondering if it was considered as part of the reasoning for the dual shoe.
  by Clean Cab.

The dual position 3rd rail shoes will be delivered on cars 51- 300 (and more if ordered). Some testing has already been done on MN M7s in Harmon Yard with these shoes. Testing will begin on LIRR M7s soon. Once the full 8 car M8 test train gets rolling, every other truck will have the dual position 3rd rail shoes on them.