• Lynchburg VA NE Regional (ext. to Roanoke and Bristol)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Arlington

The TransDominion Express route planning shows just LYH-Bedford-ROA.
Visit the site. http://www.tdxinfo.org/proposed-route-map/

Between LYH and ROA, only Bedford is shown, and it is as an unstaffed stop (and LYH & ROA staffed).
strench707 wrote:Okay so maybe we're thinking the train will make a stop at Lynchurg, Bedford and Roanoke and thats it?

That seems about right based on the mileage and the sized towns it goes through.

Davis
I'm with Davis. You couldn't seriously keep the name TransDominion Express (TDX) if it stopped at more than Bedford.
  by strench707

I think extending to Roanoke is in the forseeable future but maybe not as far as Bristol anytime soon. What are the tracks like West of Roanoke?

Davis
  by RichM

Re: On to Bristol

My wife's family is from the Bristol-Abingdon area, and my kid went to Emory and Henry College so I'm out in the area frequently.

Good shape, well maintained but almost all single-tracked with passing sidings, and of course relatively slow speeds for the climb up to Chritiansburg/Blacksburg. Many of the stations in the larger towns are still in place, sold or leased to other businesses. I believe there are extensive improvements already in progress or planned... lengthening sidings, etc., but this to support increased freight traffic via Memphis and the west. The line is very active with both intermodal and mixed freight.

Of course, this could be an opportunity for NS to secure federal funds for additional upgrades. But there's no avoiding the topography, I'm wondering whether anything beyond an average speed of about 40-45 is possible.
  by Matt Johnson

strench707 wrote: What are the tracks like West of Roanoke?

Davis

The tracks appear to be in excellent shape - typical Norfolk Southern mainline quality. From what I remember of when I lived down in Blacksburg, the line splits around Christiansburg and then merges again down around Radford. Through downtown Christiansburg on the main route there are two tracks. Then closer to Blacksburg there's a single track branch that tackles some mountainous terrain and goes through a long tunnel that I believe passes under US460. I'm not sure if the line to Bluefield, WV and beyond branches off of this line, but maybe someone more familiar with the route can fill the holes.

Once upon a time I believe there was a branch that went practically right into downtown Blacksburg and onto campus! The Huckleberry Trail, one of the numerous bike trails around campus, was built on the old RR right of way. (There is a bus now known as the "Two Town Trolley" that runs out to Christiansburg - I used it quite a bit back in the day. But the days of rail must've been neat! Hope Princeton doesn't make the same mistake in throwing away the Dinky.)
Last edited by Matt Johnson on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Gilbert B Norman

First it was Roanoke, which I favor as defense against some "critter" saying the Lynchburg Regional merely duplicates a service the Feddies already pay for (Crescent).

Then it was on to Christiansburg in deference to the several VPI alums we have here.

Now it is Bristol as one member has noted he has "family ties" to that area.

What's next, bring back The Tenneseean?

Frances Langford and Tex Beneke will be crooning from their graves - and so will Glenn Miller from beneath the English Channel.
  by Matt Johnson

I'd be very happy just to get Roanoke!
  by strench707

Matt Johnson wrote:I'd be very happy just to get Roanoke!
Same that would be one less unserved noteable city. Also, it would fill in a nice little hole in the system.

Davis
  by RichM

Mr. Norman, if I'm the guilty culprit for having family ties in Bristol, I'm not an advocate for rail service past Roanoke. Just guilty of answering the query.

Well maintained, yes; small population base, high density of current freight traffic and the (beautiful) mountains, no.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Please take no umbrage, Mr. Rich M.

I first learned of Abingdon VA from an O Winston Link spread appearing in TRAINS circa 1956; There was a Mixed along that branch line which still, like most of the N&W, had steam power. The Link photographs showed school children boarding the train - quite the "slice" of Americana.

http://parkengines.railfan.net/VA/conte ... l#Abingdon

http://www.linkmuseum.org/collection.html (scroll down)
  by superbad

On bristol:

I live in NE suburbs of Atlanta around Gainesville, and spend lots of time in Asheville,NC. With the completion of I-26, what used to be a 3+hour drive between Asheville and the tri-cities, now takes only 40 minutes. People from asheville, would drive to bristol to catch a DC day train. As I would even drive to Bristol from where I live to take such a train for a trip.
  by ejones

I've been out of town for a while or I would have posted sooner. This much I can tell you, having spoken directly with officials of Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation:

The early success of the additional Lynchburg service means a more favorable outlook for extending service to Roanoke as the next incremental step. (They're big on the word "incremental".) They're basically all for it.

That step is currently programmed for 2016 as a Plan A scenario. Issues include the usual matters of additional passing tracks and appropriate station facilities in Roanoke. (Don't know whether Bedford might be considered.) Then there's the matter of state funding, especially in current economic times. Few, if any, such capital expenditures were needed when adding another train to Lynchburg on a line already served by Amtrak, one of the main reasons for terminating the additional NE Regional there right now.

Any extension to Roanoke is not likely until Amtrak service extends from Richmond to Norfolk on the south side of the James River. Further service improvements from Washington to Richmond may also be involved here as well before Roanoke becomes next in line.

Virginia is still new to state funding for Amtrak service, and it has traditionally had a much less enthusiastic view of such spending than, say, North Carolina. Tough to say whether it will decide to do so on an ongoing basis. But there is no question: ridership on the new NE Regional from Lynchburg has been a big boost for those in state government working to increase such service in the state.
  by Station Aficionado

It appears the first steps toward Roanoke- Lynchburg bus service are underway (discussion is toward end of article on local bus service in Roanoke): http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/254768
  by Matt Johnson

Station Aficionado wrote:It appears the first steps toward Roanoke- Lynchburg bus service are underway (discussion is toward end of article on local bus service in Roanoke): http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/254768
That's good news I suppose, unless it becomes an excuse to delay or cancel plans to extend rail service to Roanoke. It's certainly better than nothing!
  by Matt Johnson

strench707 wrote:What are the tracks like West of Roanoke?
This photo shows the typical Norfolk Southern mainline track quality - NS seems to do an excellent job maintaining its tracks from what I've seen.
  by strench707

Wow! Looks better than some places Amtrak already runs on, I know track is a priority with NS, so hopefully the pop over to Roanoke would be a fast service.

Davis