Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Lets not forget the keystones on the front of all the old steam engines :wink:

by jg greenwood

Form 19 wrote:There is the vestiges of the Pennsy all over the LIRR. Much of it is not really noticeable unless you work there..such as the "lingo". We call a caboose a hack (PRR), when an Engr Trainee qualifies we call it being "set-up"(PRR), being released from duty early "early quit"(PRR), working afternoons and evenings is "half-nights"(PRR), when a Signal Maintainer qualifies he is "made"(PRR), a Block Operator trainee is a "Poster"(PRR)..our Rule Book is Pennsy designed in format as well as the Safety Rules Book. Look at Jamaica Station.. the main office building has keystones all over it as well as the overhang on the side entrance. They even used the "wooden block" system in the Crew Mgt office and a form of it with magnets remains...again typical PRR.

If you look hard and better yet work there, there is PRR everywhere..you just have to look and know it when you see or hear it.
I originally hired-on with the PRR (Rose-Lake Yards, Fairmont City, IL.) in 1966. Seems I recall the word "cab" being used in reference to hacks. Am I correct, or simply confusing PRR terminology with the Big-4 that invaded us in the late 60s'? :( I for sure remember the wooden blocks and the plexi-glass window used in the callers office.

by Dave Keller

I'm sure "cab" was short for "Cabin Car" in Pennsy service but that term was never used on the LIRR, regardless of its Pennsy ownership.

Dave Keller

by Legio X

At Hicksville, at the eastern end of the southern platform is a PRR-style position signal. There is an attachment on the left side of the upper signal with a red lens. I've never seen this activated. What is it, and what is it's function?

by Long Island 7285

I believe that’s a train order signal, only lit when the crew has to receive orders from Divide.

by Legio X

If a train crew has to receive orders from the tower at Divide, is it written and handed up to the passing train by Divide personnel or is it an "audible" over the radio and the red light is just giving the crew a heads up to closely monitor the radio?

by jayrmli

The train order signal is only displayed if the orders are going to be delivered (handed) to them.

Jay
  by Head-end View

That is a flashing red light much like a crossing signal. When the engineer of an approaching train sees it, usually he will go over the radio to the tower "acknowledging the order-board". There should be one of those lights on the home-signal of every active tower. :-)

by jayrmli

Not at every active tower, just some. Some towers (Jay, Hall, Queens, etc.) do not have order boards.

Jay

by RetiredLIRRConductor

yep the red flashing light at a towers "home signal" is an order board. There have been instances when the operator has left the order board on, then told the crew of a train that he has no orders for their train. Some crews refuse that, and demand an "A" card be delivered to the train, saying "I have no orders for your train"

by Dave Keller

Here's the older version:

and here's the "newer" version (to the right of the position light):

Dave Keller

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I remember when I hired on in 1973, I made the mistake of calling a "Hack" a caboose! Man it took weeks to live that down! :wink:

by jayrmli

As they're supposed to. Any train which encounters an order board is supposed to also receive an A card with the order(s) to tell them how many orders they are to receive. If there are no orders, the A card will tell them so.

Jay
  by dukeoq

Is it still practice for 'STOP' to be displayed while the order board flashes.
The signal would go to better indication upon acknowledgement.
Back before radios, two blasts of the engine horn would get you moving to pick up your orders "on the fly"

by Nasadowsk

<i>I remember when I hired on in 1973, I made the mistake of calling a "Hack" a caboose!</i>

Ok, say it with me:

"Cabin Car"

*runs*