Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mark777

to: Fla East Coast Chris

I haven't been out by PD tower in quite some time. I usually work out of WSY. I hope to see you out there soon too! It'll take a while to get there, but I know it will be worth it.

by Dave Keller

Better make it soon, before the tower is pulled down, and Chris will be sitting in a chair in the parking lot! :wink:

Watch that winter wind, Chris!!! :-D

Dave
  by LIladycommuter

Hey all - more questions for you!

What is the Jay Breaker House?
  by Literally

If you'd like, ask the current person to forward a message with your contact information to the person who used to cover the job. If they know who it is, I'd say you have a 50/50 chance of them getting the message.

by Dave Keller

A breaker house is a small structure trackside, housing the circuit breakers.

Here's an example of one at the junction of the spur into Belmont Park, east of Queens Village and "QUEENS" tower:

The view is looking east.

Dave Keller

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The Jay breaker house is right next to jay tower as you pass it. They are not small houses anymore at jay and hall, but are about the size of 2 or 3 shiping containers stacked on top of one another. They are rectangular is size, and painted light grey.
  by LIladycommuter

Is there any rhyme or reason to the punching of the monthly passes? What's the #s 1 through 4 for? Amount of weeks in a month? What's the deal with that - Everyday I think of something new to ask!

Oh, also. Does each and every collector, conductor, etc. have their own puncher with their own shape? - does it identify the person or something? I've noticed on my monthly pass that they are different shapes by different people.

Thanks!

by Long Island 7285

I was said that you could almost tell a cndr, by his/her punch, some have the same shape but there silghtly diffrent size. Dave can better answer.

by Dave Keller

The train crew, presently consisting of conductor/asst. conductor and collector ALL have their own punches.

Your punch is basically your identification. Tickets, etc. could be traced to a specific punch and thereby to it's "owner" should the need arise.

The punch's "cut" is unique. While some MAY look the same, look closely: they are not.

In years past, if a trainman (to use a generic term) lost his punch he faced disciplinary action. It was a big deal to have to be issued a replacement punch.

When you quit or retire, you must surrender your punch. You can't keep it as a "souvenier." That cut is then re-issued to a trainee, who will eventually use it during his/her career on the road.

Dave Keller

P.S. There were generic punches used in ticket offices, such as one that had the cut of "L" standing for Long Island Express and "BC" which stood for baggage check. Those were not identified with any one individual, as all the stations had them. Station identification was in the form of the dater-die stamp on the back of every ticket, document, monthly proof (balance) sheet, etc. Each ticket clerk had his/her own dater-die for THAT SPECIFIC OFFICE only. If you worked another station, you may have another clerk number or even the SAME clerk number, but the dater die would identify your new station location by name. DK

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I dont know why they settled on the number of blocks on the tickets, probably to save space. About punching them, the railroad puts out what they call "general notices" every now and then to alert the train crews about changes in rules or operating conditions. Once a month, a general notice will include information on what days to punch the monthlys, and what block to punch. They feel that if people are forced to take out their tickets 5 or 6 times a month, it will cut down on fraudulent tickets. This is a monster the railroad itself created. Years ago, up untill the mid 80's I think, we used to punch the tickets everyday, in both the mornings and nights. The monthly ticket was larger then it is now. ( Dave, how about a picture of one? :wink: ) They had 62 boxes on them, 31 on the top for westbound, 31 on the bottom for eastbound. The railroad changed this procedure so they could cut down on the size of train crews and thereby save money. About the Conductors turning in their punches when they retire, most do, put some of them "lose" them just before retireing and pay the railroad for them. I hope I don't lose mine just before retireing :wink:

by Clem

I can add a little to the history of this, LIConductor.

Perhaps you recall in 1979 the LIRR issued a credit card sized colorful "flash ticket". It was a monthly that didn't require punching. Passengers could just flash it. It would save collectors and labor costs.

The same month, Xerox introduced the color copier.

The Railroad generally sat with their head in the sand until the New York Times picked up on the problem in a front page story. They told of millions being lost each month to fraudulent, counterfeit monthly flash tickets.

The railroad needed an answer qucikly. In 1981 they produced their most secure monthly ticket. It was printed on expensive green safety stock that couldn't be copied and could easily show alterations. It was too big to fit in a wallet window and could not be folded without hiding vital information. Conductors were required to examine it on ten days per month. Thus the punch days were born.

Over the years, the Railroad opted for decreased safety vs. the high cost of the safety paper and that vanished. Then they chose machine printed tickets which further reduced security.

Today, many counterfeit tickets are lifted that were printed on copiers and ink jet printers. Holograms have reciently been added along with several other security features.

Still the best defense in a physical examination.

Thus the punch day.

Clem
  by batfloat

Dave: how about the V cut? 3 types of stock, steam, MU, and a pad of round trippers. And don't forget the FBA step up. Restricted and un restricted monthly's. and wheel reports. You guys got it MADE today!!!!! :-
  by dukeoq

Batfloat?? Are you a former Bay Ridger?
  by batfloat

JJ yes I am; thats where I started throwing them 8 pointers could never figure them out. Once I put the New Havens on 2 cripple i think, the one without the cats. Remus was real mad that day. All the boys got a laugh out of that. That place was full of characters. After that it was over to Yd A 1st trick with Slocum he taught me the whole yard in 2 days. It's funny you never forget guys like that Slocum, Tommy Mc Gurl, Mc Donald, Bob Dunnit. The red flag on the chain to tell you where the bookie was.What a place it was. The list of characters would go on forever as you well know.

by Dave Keller

LIRR Conductor:

While I do own a number of those monster monthlys, I don't have a scan of one to post, so you'll have to settle for one of my father's old weekly tickets:

For you younger guys: Pink was FBA, Yellow was Jamaica and Blue was Penn.

Dave