Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

LIladycommuter wrote: I know he was a conductor - what could she be?
Almost certainly an Assistant Conductor. I will let someone who knows more about the job to explain exactly what they do...
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

The people you see in uniform on various trains are Conductors, Assistant Conductors (Gender friendly for brakeman) and ticket collectors. A Crew Consists of an Engineer, who operates the Train, A Conductor who is in charge of the train and generaly opens and closes the doors, and makes the announcements. The Conductor also collects tickets, and usually works the front of the train, which makes it easier to coordinate things with the Engineer. The assistant conductor usually works in the rear of the train, and makes sure the "Marker Lights" (the red lights on the back of the train) are displayed. The assistant Conductor also performs the brake test at various terminals, and usually throws the switches when needed. The assistant Conductor might be called upon to back up a train when needed, by signaling the engineer by radio, buzzer, or hand signs. The assisitant Conductor also collects tickets. The Conductor usually has more senority then the Assistant Conductor, since a Conductor salary is slightly higher then Assistant Conductor. Some Trains also have ticket Collectors who are assigned to busy trains to assist the crew in collecting tickets. What you probably saw in the morning was a Conductor, or assistant Conductor who initially got your ticket, then later a collector got on the train and took over that car while the other crew member moved to another car. Another thing not mentioned is there are Conductors who work what is called the extra list. Conductors on the extra list work different jobs every day as their senority allows, covering jobs for people who are on vacation, or off sick. or off for other reasons. :wink:
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

One other thing..those "slips" they put in the seats are called "seat Checks" and you are right, they let the collectors know who has shown their tickets so they do not bother you again. Usually on express trains that do not stop at Jamaica, the tickets are only checked once, however if the train stops at Jamaica, they are all checked after Jamaica because of the many people who get on or off at Jamaica.

by Dave Keller

"Putting the punch in the little slip" was the seat check. That was an indication to other crewmembers, or to the same person themself when they pass through the car various times later, that they punched your ticket, lifted your ticket or checked your pass.

That keeps them from asking you again and again for your ticket, only to see it had already been punched and all it did was annoy you each time. :wink:

They punch your ticket, punch the seat check, slip it into the metal catch at the top of the seatback and go onto the next person. They are color coded so you cant take one you found on the ground and put it in your seat and try to get away with not paying your fare.

Years ago, when men and women wore hats, they were actually called "hat checks" and were, after punching, placed in the outer band of ones hat!

Dave Keller

by LIladycommuter

Ok, well now I completely don't get it! Remember how I mentioned that the conductor would just sit in one of the seats for the first few stops while someone else checked tickets and put punches in those slips - well, today the same thing happened however they are both conductors - I specifically checked their hats. So there can be more than one conductor on the train? How many cars is each person (conductor, asst. conductor, ticket collector) usually responsible for?
  by RetiredLIRRConductor

There is only one conductor on any train, however, a collector or assistant conductor might be qualified as a conductor, but be working as a collector or assistant conductor on a train. The railroad forces assistant conductors to qualify on the rules of the railroad, and physical layout of the railroad. This is a very rough test, and some people don't make it. Those who do generally wear their conductor badge in all classes of service. it is a sign of senority, and honor in passing the test. On how many cars a person works, it varies from train to train, depending on the size of the crew, and how many cars the train has.

by LIRailfan79

LirrConductor, do you know how many people don't pass the qualifying test? i've heard that as long as as you put the proper amount of time into it (at least a year of study) that you should be ok.
can you give us more details as to what this test encompasses and how long it takes to complete?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

To qualify as Conductor on the LIRR, you have to know the book of rules from cover to cover, and how those rules apply to the safe operation of the Train, you have to know all rules, definitions, the names of all signals and what their indications mean. You also have to know all the special instructions in the timetable, and how and where they apply. That is the book of rules part of the test. After taking the book of rules test, you have to then take a test on the physical characteristics of the Railroad, and what rules are In effect on each branch. You have to be able to draw, and verbally describe the entire railroad. You are responsible to know where all stations, signals, sidings, switches, etc. are, and how many cars the stations and sidings hold. You also have to know what equipment restrictions there are on the railroad. After taking that test, you have to go for air brake instruction, and pass a test to have a working knowledge of the equipment, and how to troubleshoot broken down trains. After that you are scheduled for a test in Penn station, where Amrtrak gives instructions on the Norac rules in Penn station, and then you have to take a test on the Amtrak book of rules and Physical characteristics of Amtrak Zone A NY. These tests are usually scheduled a month or so apart, and if you fail any part of them, you continue in the process, and then go back and are re-examined in the area that you failed in. After 3 failures in any area, you are taken out of service with no pay, and after 7failures are terminated from employement. The time between starting work on the railroad and taking the test has varied, right now they are calling people up for the test after about 2 years employment as assistant conductors. The failure rate varies from class to class, the average of failures is probably as high as 25 per cent of all people who take the test. At one time we Had a Conductor Named Merideth who was also a criminal lawyer, she has since retired after 20 years and gone on to a full time law practice. She once told me the bar exam was easier then the Conductors exam. I don't know first hand, but that is what she told me. :wink:

by RetiredLIRRConductor

OOPs...almost forgot... after qualifying as a Conductor or Engineer, you are then forced to go up every 3 years for a book of rules test, to keep your qualifications current. The "3 year book" is not as hard as qualifying, but you never really know what you are going to be asked, so you really have to crack open the book and do a little studying. It can be a real pain in the butt. If you fail the 3 year book, you are restricted as a collector or assistant Conductor untill you pass. The federal Government also has us go up every 2 years for safety and air brake instructions, to keep us up to date on saftey procedures, since that MARC crash in Maryland a few years ago when about 16 people were killed in a collision with an Amtrak train. The federal government wants us to know how to put out fires on the trains, and how to properly evacuate the trains, and to have a working knowledge of where all the saftey equipment is. Since we run M-1s, M-3s, M-7s, Bi level equipment, and work trains, this class helps in keeping the knowledge fresh in our minds, in the event of an emergency. Since working day in and day out can be routine, I consider this class valuable. If I had known all this going in, would I have still worked for the railroad? Yes. I am one of those who would do it all again. I really like working for the LIRR. I can be a great job! :wink:

by LIladycommuter

Well, I learned alot - especially about things that I used to sit on the train and think to myself "Why do they do that?" or "What is that for?"
But I guess I am never going to find that conductor :( Its about 2 weeks now - doubt he's on vacation.

by mark777

The only way you can be sure to have a the same Conductor on the job for a long period of time is either if he has high seniority and can hold a job indefinately, or if the job is ugly enough that nobody wants it, a person may not get trimmed so easily. I usually pick ugly jobs, and trims usually pass by me because senior guys will rather take a collector job or another job over the one that I own. I do this on purpose so that i avoid the hassel of being trimmed and having to deal with the lovely folks in the crew dispatchers office. So regular riders begin to know me, and I begin to know them, things become less of a hassel, and you make friends with some very nice people. Hey not all commuters are bad!

Qualifying as a Conductor or Engineer is a process that I'm sure that we could all do without, but if we are un-qualified, we are forced to qualify as a Conductor usually after your first two years as an Asst. Conductor. I'm due to go up somewhere between May and Sep 2006! They pushed us back from two to three years (thankfully). It is not impossible to do it, all you have to do is dedicate yourself to studying the Rules and PC and you should be able to pass on the first try! Unfortuantley, there are quite a few folks who have not been successfull on their first tries, some even don't make it after seven tries! Only you can determine your fate with this. I chose instead to enter engine services which I will be taking the Signal and Definition exam on Nov 5th. If I pass, and if score a 100 on the entire test, I will be hopefully admitted into phase one of the engine services program by mid Nov. I always wanted to be an Engineer, so I would rather qualify to be an Engineer instead of Conductor. That of course doesn't mean that the Conductor's job is any less glamorous! But I do have my preference.

by Fla East Coast Chris

Hey Mark 777 do I know you out at PD Tower???
Good luck!!!! Hope to see you in the DE's!!!
I wpromise not to yell at you on the Radio!!(LOL)
Chris

by M1 9147

Oh but on train 8068 last night I had a screeming lady conductor hollering at the other conductor on my lead car (7246) to get him to the third car for a lady refusing to give out a ticket. See, yelling does happen. Oh and yes, train 8007 yesterday had the famous 7285, oh Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Form 19

Hey Mark777, welcome to Engine Service. If that is what you always wanted then good for you! It's a great job with in my opinion, a very good Union.

Each job has it's benefits and drawbacks, but either way good luck to you.

by Long Island 7285

Neil i just seen 7285 on the 24th just before 5pm on the long beach at centere ave. thats the first time i personally seen that pair on the south side since the summer.